Milk, and the shortage of it

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I was wondering about this subject. What is the annual consumption and production of milk? Is there a shortage, and how does the DR react to this type of shortage? If needed, where do they import milk from?
Anyone......
The reason I ask this is mountainannie posted about her bad experience with Dominican beef, and the shortage of milk here, so hopefully someone has an answer. Maybe Picardo with his/her great knowledge of the DR.......
Thanks
Hammerdown

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Beef is excellent in the DR ;superior to many other countries. Milk there is a shortfall due to lack of investment: but many hope ivestments does not happen. As in other tropical countries it is sensible to make your own soya/bean milk and supplement diet with local cheese: this does not in general does not need planet destroying energy intensive refrigeration / transport / packaging etc.
pi2

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Beef is excellent in the DR ;superior to many other countries.
pi2

This statement reflects your real knowledge of the DR.......which IMO is nada, zilch, zero.....but lets get back to the subject of the milk......thanks pi2, no need to reply anymore,

May 29, 2006
The vast majority of milk in the DR is imported from the US in dry form, reconstituted, then packed into tetra packs. There were several cases of food poisoning in rural schools last year where they mixed powdered milk with contaminated water. I think several kids may have died, but I forget the details.

Dairy cows tend not to do well in tropical environments. Even in the US, dairy is produced far more in northern than southern states, where beef cattle are more likely to be raised. Milk is also an energy intensive product since it's pasteurized and then chilled. In the tropics, most milk pasteurized at a higher temp so it can be put into shelf-stable tetra packs. Since the cost of energy is high in the DR, this is also inhibiting local production. Goats or water buffalo are more practical for dairy production in the tropics and are better at foraging without capital intensive inputs, but imported dry milk is much cheaper than fresh. You can sometimes see the empty cardboard shipping barrels in the DR for anhydrous milk being used as disposable trash barrels.

Beef is better in the DR than in the US?? News to me!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From living here and seeing what is available most Dominicans drink dried milk imported from Northern Europe.

As far as fresh milk goes, there isn't much of a demand for it based on what one sees in the stores and in fact what I've been told for the producers is that Rica and other local companies buy it up for their milk products.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The only place I've ever seen/bought a gallon of milk in DR like we're used to in the USA was at Turay in Bonao. A couple of dairy places side by side on the highway. If you drive that highway, you owe it to yourself to stop and buy dairy products there, they're EXCELLENT!

I think it's a combination of the society not being milk drinkers, the lack of good refrigeration/electricity in many places [not everyone has inverters!], etc. that created the abundance of boxed milk. I think fresh milk would spoil quickly in stores.

Don't get me started about the un-refrigerated eggs everywhere!!!

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
From what i have sean all the milk i have used is the upc milk that can be kept out of a refrigerator much longer shelf life as for the beef it has very low fat content little to no marbling no fat no flaver try the veal shank it is cheep and ok over there

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
This statement reflects your real knowledge of the DR.......which IMO is nada, zilch, zero.....but lets get back to the subject of the milk......thanks pi2, no need to reply anymore,

Beef is excellent in the DR. I cook curry and everyone thinks it is a match to Indian curry.

Hate US - hormone fed - beef.

Milk is better produced from soya; less energy.

Just plain common sense!

Soy milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

???? post here

It is easy for a family........

Soy milk maker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cows and their products can be the products of the supremely wasteful and corrupt US of A produced without regard to the World,s resources.

Soy milk for ever!!!!!

pi2

pi2

May 12, 2005
Beef is excellent in the DR. I cook curry and everyone thinks it is a match to Indian curry.

Hate US - hormone fed - beef.

Milk is better produced from soya; less energy.

Just plain common sense!

Soy milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

???? post here

It is easy for a family........

Soy milk maker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cows and their products can be the products of the supremely wasteful and corrupt US of A produced without regard to the World,s resources.

Soy milk for ever!!!!!

pi2

pi2

You should never give soy milk or soy products to developing boys. Soy increases estrogen in the body and interferes with the endocrine system of boys as they develop in a negative way.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
pi2; ban stupid posters!

yes please ban this stupid poster,.....This post was started to see why the DR can't produce enough MILK, for drink, as well as milk products, cheese, butter, etc..... not beef, so if you don't have anything to say about the original subject, shut the phu*K up....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You should never give soy milk or soy products to developing boys. Soy increases estrogen in the body and interferes with the endocrine system of boys as they develop in a negative way.
I wouldn't say never - my growing son loves soya milk so I looked into this. Although some hysterical sites out there claim that soy will make you turn gay, and others warn about it bringing on early puberty in girls and "feminising" boys, the sensible advice is that soy products (especially organic - i.e. non-GM) are fine in moderation. I'd be more concerned about the hormones in chicken. In the DR, though, soya milk is a luxury item. A litre of soya milk costs more than 100 pesos, over twice as much as a litre of cow's milk (tetrapak UHT variety, brands like Parmalat and La Vaquita) and even more compared to powdered milk, which is the cheaper option here.

I've also read that most milk sold here is imported in powdered form, some is processed and sold as UHT in tetrapaks and the rest sold in powdered form.