Subaru's in the DR

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I wonder why i see so few Subaru's here in this country? While in San Jose (C.R.) they seemed to be everywhere and a great choice for the roads, plus they came in a diesel version :nervous:.
Odd that this company never made many inroads here whereas you see toyotas and honda everywhere.
Karlheinz

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
I knew a guy who imported a Subaru impreza some 4or5 years ago and paid over 7,000 British pounds import tax. It was tweaked up and I think the WRX edition which may have meant something in inflated tax. If I remember correctly not long after he imported it a new law deeming all right hand drive cars illegal was brought in (I'm not imagining this am I?) which made it an even more painful experience, to have the car converted.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EASY ANSWER!
The Subarus in San Jose were stolen in California and Texas,and driven to Costa Rica.
The US Embassy in "SJ" had a "Chevy" SUV bought there that was stolen from the USA.
UNTIL the Dominicans find way to drive here,you will have to pay "double" for cars imported from the USA!
CC

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
But I saw a dealership right on the main ave. that was selling brand new diesel subaru's - these weren't driven up from the states so I know they sell new there and Subaru is a division of Fujitsu heavy industries I think - a Jap. powerhouse.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Subarus are bullet-proof that's for sure and it is surprising why they haven't succeeded here.

We went to have a look at a bright yellow Baja pick-up that was for sale in Moca a couple of years ago. It was a great little truck. But the dealer refused to budge on his ridiculous price even when we wafted a bunch of greenbacks under his nose. We walked away and that truck stayed in his lot for months to come.

I think that the new Tribeca is stunning and if they start to make a diesel one, that could possibly win the contender of the best vehicle for the DR.