GTA women charged with cocaine smuggling behind bars in Dominican Republic

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
They planned to stay in the Dominican Republic for just a week, but it may be years before three GTA women return home after they were arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle 18 kilograms of cocaine onto a Toronto-bound flight Monday night.
Violet Teresa Pluas, a 38-year-old North York mother of two, Daniela Maria Pea Ruggiero and Carla Lopes, both 29, could spend up to a decade behind bars if convicted of drug smuggling charges, said Capt. Victor Almonte of the Dominican?s National Drugs Control Agency.
?For us, drugs is a really, really big crime,? he said.
The women, all Canadian citizens, are employees of Etobicoke-based publisher Trader Corporation. They were expected back at work earlier this week.
The three friends had just spent a week in the Dominican Republic and were travelling on a minibus toward Punta Cana International Airport.
The bus was then stopped and searched by police.
Almonte said police found a total of 18.49 kilograms of cocaine stashed in hundreds of plastic capsules hidden in ?tummy tuck? underwear. The cocaine has a street value of more than $600,000 in Canada.
Police arrested the women and four other Dominican passengers on the bus who are also alleged to be involved in the smuggling operation.
Almonte said the women were likely taken to a prison in Santo Domingo, the country?s capital. He could not confirm their exact location.
Almonte refused to say what prompted the police search Monday night, but Dominican Today reported that police suspected the women were ?alleged tourists? involved in a drug ring because they had travelled to the Dominican several times in the last year.
Pluas? teenage daughter Carla, reached at the family?s North York home Wednesday, told the Star she had spoken with her mother over the phone Sunday night.
Everything sounded fine, Carla said.
But Pluas failed to return home and the family later received a phone call saying she had been arrested.
?I?m in shock,? said Carla, a Grade 11 student, adding she had never known her mother to be in trouble.
Pluas declared bankruptcy last June, but little else is known.
As for her co-accused, Ruggiero and Lopes graduated together from Toronto?s Bloor Collegiate Institute over a decade ago.
They worked together as telephone interviewers at Goldfarb Consultants before moving on to administration positions at Trader Corporation.
Canada?s Department of Foreign Affairs is aware that three Canadian citizens were arrested Monday and consular officials in Punta Cana will provide them with assistance, said spokesperson Jean-Fran?ois Lacelle.
Almonte said the three women are scheduled to appear before a Dominican Republic judge on Feb. 20. They will remain behind bars, nearly 3,000 kilometres from home, until then.
For now, the story of how the Canadian women wound up in jail accused of stuffing their underwear with hundreds of cocaine capsules remains a mystery.
Carla said she hoped her mother would return home soon.

Toronto News: GTA women charged with cocaine smuggling behind bars in Dominican Republic - thestar.com

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sounds like someone ratted on them!!!!!!

Happens all the time. Let a few hundred loads in but give up a few at the same time. Survival of the fittest.

I guess I watch tooooo much "Lock Up Abroad".

Too bad for them. :(

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
BB I love that stupid show too !!!!!

Something fishy about the way they got caught, several trips in one year, yeah right !

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sounds like someone ratted on them!!!!!!

Happens all the time. Let a few hundred loads in but give up a few at the same time. Survival of the fittest.

I guess I watch tooooo much "Lock Up Abroad".

Too bad for them. :(

Great show...I thought the same thing. This is the typical scenario where people from countries like The US, Canada or from Europe are offered a week's paid vacation and some money and all they have to do is "bring back a package"...next thing they know they're doing Five or Ten years in a prison in The DR, Venezuela, Peru, etc...These ones were definitely ratted out if they never even made it to the airport.

I kind of feel sorry for these people as normally they have no idea of what exactly they're getting themselves into...on the other hand if you're that greedy or dumb...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Almonte refused to say what prompted the police search Monday night, but Dominican Today reported that police suspected the women were ?alleged tourists? involved in a drug ring because they had travelled to the Dominican several times in the last year.

Reminds me one time when I caught the red eye from DR a few years ago. The plane was empty and, when I arrive to NY, US Customs red flagged me because my passport was stamped over 10 times in DR, 3 times in CR, 2 times in PR, and once in Mexico. This agent searched everything and was determined to find something. All he found was a relaxed PR from the BX with an awesome tan. That would explain the few bottles of tanning lotion I had. Boy was he ****ed and jealous. Also, I was waiting for him to mention a stomach x-ray but he did not. jijijijijiji

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Reminds me one time when I caught the red eye from DR a few years ago. The plane was empty and, when I arrive to NY, US Customs red flagged me because my passport was stamped over 10 times in DR, 3 times in CR, 2 times in PR, and once in Mexico. This agent searched everything and was determined to find something. All he found was a relaxed PR from the BX with an awesome tan. That would explain the few bottles of tanning lotion I had. Boy was he ****ed and jealous. Also, I was waiting for him to mention a stomach x-ray but he did not. jijijijijiji

Who knows. He might have been another dr1er settling scores hahahaha

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
hahahaha

I don't have have an enemy anywhere. i hope. Maybe a scorned lover!!!!!

I think he had to much time on his hands and was bored but, then again, the passport was stamped all over.

Luckily, I do not entertain any illegal activities except eating tooo many sweets. lol

Last edited:

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
More often than not, in the DR, the same people you purchase the drugs from are the ones who turn you in for the reward/brownie points with the authorities ( often to get them to look the other way in their own illicit dealings ). With that being said, one would have to be a complete fool to engage in the smuggling trade here. Last time I flew to the U.S., I watched customs pull the most unlikely individual out of the line , and take him to the back room. Soon afterwards, dozens of agents swarmed the room, which speaks volumes.

There's a lot more hospitable places to be than a Dominican jail, like hell, the inside of a sharks belly and trapped in the Amazon swarming with Piranha in a leaky canoe.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
There's a lot more hospitable places to be than a Dominican jail, like hell, the inside of a sharks belly and trapped in the Amazon swarming with Piranha in a leaky canoe.

Or having a 400 pound lady riding you. lol

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I assume you know what that feels like Brong?
Now I know where you got those new Jordan's!

bad tambo'

I knew I was setting myself up for Tambo's famous posts.

Nope, never had the pleasure BUT would prefer over doing hard time in a DR prison, that's for sure.

But, she must be fair skinned with good hair. jjijijijiji

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know which is worse, the thought that they were involved in smuggling or they were stupid, I mean naive enough to take back some packages for someone without checking the contents.

These days if anyone asks to take anything down or back with you ask they to open it up in front of you or you will not do it!!

"It's not mine" or "I didn't know what was in there" will not work

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know which is worse, the thought that they were involved in smuggling or they were stupid, I mean naive enough to take back some packages for someone without checking the contents.

These days if anyone asks to take anything down or back with you ask they to open it up in front of you or you will not do it!!

"It's not mine" or "I didn't know what was in there" will not work

Anna, are you sure they were naive?

I read it as they stuffed the contraband in their 'girdles' or whatever- Spanks.

I read it as a pretyy deliberate effort to smuggl e that may have been going on the past trips.

Not sure they were ingenuess

Last edited by a moderator:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How can Captain Almonte say with a straight face "for us drugs is a really, really, big crime". Sounds like Ed Sullivan. When they catch silly gringos red handed (ratted out) its big but when its the police not much happens or they get short sentences and the money disappears. Its a business for the police just like its a business for the narco-trafficers. They are in business together and need each other. Who is he trying to kid!! Poor dumb desperate gringas thrown to the wolves by their partners.
The real weight does not go thru the airports anyway. All for nothing. Sad.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I watch Locked up Abroad too and it never ceases to amaze me what risks people will take while in a foreign country!
What are they thinking? With all the fancy scanning and xray equipment at the airports do they really
expect to get away with this?
If these women were that desperate how could they afford the vacation in the first place? Unless it wasnt a "vacation"
and the whole thing was planned that way.
Wow, welcome to jail in the DR ladies!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I watched customs pull the most unlikely individual out of the line , and take him to the back room. Soon afterwards, dozens of agents swarmed the room, which speaks volumes.

I really want to see one of the drug sniffing dogs go after luggage. It happened to a friend of mine, who as the dog approached nearly peed himself, wondering if he hadn't "forgotten" something in his bag. (US domestic Delta flight, not international.)

Dog went for the bag next to his.