Fire on calle del solle santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There is a large fire in the downtown area of Calle del solle. So far 5 stores have been destroyed and the fire is now consuming McDonald's. A big mess, apparently it isn't being brought under control......

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Watching it from Bella Vista area (Out near the Golf course) on my security cameras.

Large billows of smoke, with some flashes of flames.
Wind appears fairly strong blowing the smoke down in the driection of 30 de Marzo from San Luis.

We are a couple kilometers away across the river.
My cameras have a 35x zoom lens.

D in Santiago

May 12, 2005
Watching it from Bella Vista area (Out near the Golf course) on my security cameras.

Large billows of smoke, with some flashes of flames.
Wind appears fairly strong blowing the smoke down in the driection of 30 de Marzo from San Luis.

We are a couple kilometers away across the river.
My cameras have a 35x zoom lens.

D in Santiago

Can you post stills from your cameras?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Too dark outside to see anything except the large area of smoke at this time.
In the daytime I can see the city buildings and also traffic flow along the river.

Amount of smoke has gone down, still is quite a bit (Over a block in length), but lower in intensity and height.

Just looked back at the cameras again, smoke is really reduced now..... 9:00pm
I'm thinking the electric may be off in the immediate area as it is so dark there. 9:03pm

D in Santiago

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
About 10:20 pm looks like they got to the remaining hot spots and the smoke billowing basically stopped.

But still kicking up a little now and then.

Driving up Del Sol is my normal path on Saturday morning, need to find an alternative route.

Tomorrow I will take my Special "Time Machine/Shadow" camera and get some pictures.

D in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well, it's daybreak here in Santiago, I can tell by the shadows starting to form as the Sun is rising in a few more minutes.

Guess it must be about 7:00am, maybe Pichardo can verify the Shadow time for me.

The city buildings are now visible.

Will be leaving in an hour or hour and half to get some photos of the fire damage from last night.
Wonder how much of the area will be blocked off?

When Bellon went up in smoke, could not get any closer than a block away.

If it's true about McDonald's, that is really sad, that was my favorite one here in Santiago.

Frank, for reference as to my location, I am on the opposite side of the main road from the Golf Club across the bridge.

My camera will zoom in as far as seeing people (Small as ants) walking around the Monument.

I will post the photos either from Barry's house or when I get back home.

D in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay, from the street, hardly any visible damage, besides Payless's sign being all smoked up.
The big metal garage type doors they have on the doors hides the fire damage from street view.
With the amount of smoke last night, my guess is that there is no interior to the first three stores.

Traffic on Calle Del Sol was normal, about 8:00 am (Actual time)
... and what ever time that is according to Pichardo's Shadow hypothesis.

McDonald's was far from the fire (3 or 4 stores).
They were closed but probably because there may be no electricity in the block.

1252y2u.jpg

dhdbg7.jpg

D - Reporting from Santiago

(Be sure to get your own Shadow Time calculator, you never know when you may need it!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Don, good reporting!...There have been fires in that area for years, often caused by "short-circuits" ....but some people say that those are euphemisms for "insurance"....however that is the subject for another thread.

Good job.

HB

May 12, 2005
The damage doesn't look as bad as I thought it would from the fotos I saw last night. I am sure that those buildings have no roofs or interiors.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Barry and I were downtown today to see the school kids parade for the "27th de febrero" celebration on Calle Del Sol.

We peeked in between the metal doors and saw that there was total destruction to the interior of Payless Shoes and Tijuana Fashion. No roofs to the buildings. Broken glass still in the street. Could not see the third place,

Distribuidora Corripio seemed to be intact, at least the section at the corner, merchandise was still displayed in the windows. The wall(s) between Distribuidora Corripio and the third store appeared to be intact (Appears to be a space between the two buildings).

D in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Was there today. It smelled like burned rubber. Of course Payless had been on fire. :cheeky: