want to buy a cell in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

G

gotgames

who sells the best cell ? just need a phone can check e-mail etc.. wifi. would like free incoming min if available, :)
have looked at orange web site and it is not in english, my spainish is still a work in progress.
would like to keep the same number so i am open to a contract etc... have heard prepaid looses your # .

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When it comes to cell phones here, Claro is the only Waytogo..........as far as service...

B in Santiago

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go to any phone store and buy a phone, not rocket science. Orange is a little cheaper than Claro. You can "Re-up" your minutes online to keep the number. It is always free incoming. You could also buy an unlocked Quad band smart phone on eBay. If you are just a tourist, then go prepaid.

tamana

Mar 1, 2012
When it comes to cell phones here, Claro is the only Waytogo..........as far as service...

B in Santiago
Same here.
g.php

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Or consider buying an unlocked cell phone of your choice in the US and use it here. AZB will have you get an Android phone and Robert will have you get an iPhone.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I checked with Orange yesterday because my son is coming for a visit and wants a phone to use while here. I was told no problem, RD$790 for the phone and $100 for minutes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I checked with Orange yesterday because my son is coming for a visit and wants a phone to use while here. I was told no problem, RD$790 for the phone and $100 for minutes.

You shuld check with Claro also. They usually sell for less than 500rd with 100 for minutes included.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You shuld check with Claro also. They usually sell for less than 500rd with 100 for minutes included.

I'm going to. I tried to talk with the gal on duty at Playero yesterday but got there just as she was putting up her "cerrado" sign. I asked anyway, but she was not at all friendly. I plan to go back in the morning hoping she is in a more helpful mood or somebody else is on the desk.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There is another Claro Kiosk a few doors down from the Faramacia to the left of the Metro station, very friendly, but less phone inventory.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
who sells the best cell ? just need a phone can check e-mail etc.. wifi. would like free incoming min if available, :)
have looked at orange web site and it is not in english, my spainish is still a work in progress.
would like to keep the same number so i am open to a contract etc... have heard prepaid looses your # .
Jeeeeeeeeeeeez I thought you meant a jail cell. They have them for sale you know. ;) ;) ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is another Claro Kiosk a few doors down from the Faramacia to the left of the Metro station, very friendly, but less phone inventory.

Thanks, will check it out. A cheap phone to call and receive calls from the US is what he is after, doesn't need bells and whistles, so less inventory may not be a problem in this case.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Orange is the way to go.....you do lose your number if you have a prepaid and do not use in a 45 or 50 day period. I dont exactly which. I leave mine with a local that trust and he uses it 2 or 3 times a month for short calls and it keeps it active for my next visit.

G

gotgames

ken, let me know how it works out for you. thanks for all the input. as far as "walking into a store and buying a phone" maybe very easy for someone accustomed to thier cell provider. in the U.S. we only have what 100+ compaines x 100 plans each. all of wich are developed to take advantage of the uneducated customer. I joined this forum, trying to learn
about your country,customs,and being an educated consumer. again thanks for all the positive help it is nice to have it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Orange is the way to go.....you do lose your number if you have a prepaid and do not use in a 45 or 50 day period. I dont exactly which. I leave mine with a local that trust and he uses it 2 or 3 times a month for short calls and it keeps it active for my next visit.
You lose it if you don't add minutes to it, not if you don't use it.

Just buy a bunch of RD$100 cards and feed it every 30 days or so while you're away. Can also be done on the internet.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This morning I checked the Claro kiosk next to metro. Cheapest phone there was RD$1500 plus minutes. There was a line at the Claro desk in Playero so didn't talk with the agent, but in the case were phones for RD$695 and RD$790. I'll go back with my son after he arrives this afternoon and be able to report if the price includes minutes.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@Ken -

Come on now, I know you can buy a basic phone for RD$300-$RD400 activated and includes $RD100 of talk time.
Go say hi to the cats in the phone shop just to the right of the Shark Bar, they won't bite you. They will sell you a cheap phone that your son can give to his novia when he leaves or keep it as a souvenir. It is not like you are buying patio blocks for El Neptuno here now!

tambo'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tambo, the OP asked for a report re Claro and that is what I wrote

What my son wants is a a cheap good phone that he can use every time he comes to the DR.

We'll most likely go with one from Claro or Orange. The most economical at both places
are not priced like the Hope Diamond.