Whole house surge protection

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Should I buy a whole house surge protection device like: Siemens QSA2020SPD, Intermatic 1G1240RC3, or Schneider Electric - Square D, or if I buy a good inverter will it be an integral part of the inverter?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is a good topic. I have a locally assembled inverter probably of Chinese parts that has a surge protector and I have not had anything fail that I'm aware of. I also have other in line surge protectors generally for all the tv's and computer stuff.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Have the house WELL and PROPERLY grounded, use grounded 3-wire outlets throughout, and get a quality inverter. That should be all you need.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Bob,

There are others on the market too :
These are GE Products and you can see them at

ElectricalDeals.com - Electrical Supplies, Equipment, Lighting, Devices and Controls

You would need the THQLSURGE which could be placed in your main panel in the Kitchen.

And I recomment this one too:

GCPD1300 Surge Protector, Hard-wired, Whole house protection, Mounts outside ANY BRAND load center., Volts: 120/240, Protects: 30ka, Warranty: $50k, Phases: 1, Wires: 3, Ge Circ Protect THSASURGE60, $118.95 each

Corbraboy,
The THQLSURGE does not require grounding as it is between line and neutral . The neutral is grounded at the transformer and pole but if you are some distance from that then it is "useful " to have a ground nearby your house principally for lightning surge protection.

Back to you Bob ,
I have had this fitted : THSASURGE60 - which does require a ground and also two 20 amp breakers .

We have three stages of surge/spike protection :THSASURGE60 at the transfer panel to protect bost incomming and Generator, At the invertor which is 5.5 kW 220 Volt fitted with about 900 joules surge protection, and in the main panel :THQLSURGE for the remainer of the house.
On individual appliances such as computers there is also a UPS - Omega 650 in most cases which also has surge protection.
On Fridges/Freezers we use a over voltage, surge protection devive by Tonal which cuts off the supply at over or under voltage.

We still get failures and recently I measured 137 volts on the nominal 120 which was 274 across the 220 V - the invertor had cut in on over voltage and saved the day.

This is a very big topic and the electrical conditions here in DR are severe.

Bob I hope that helps.

Olly

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Listen to olly, he knows what he is talking about.
He set us up with a whole house protector and it worked. We took a direct hit from lightening two years ago and everything survived because of it.

BObK

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'm giving this info to our electrician so we can NOW protect our two properties--- Unfortunately, we had to replace a refrigerator, TV and CD player because of a surge awhile back-- Thanks for this timely topic!

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Olly: we often get low voltages . We have surge protectors but do we need "brown-out" protectors too? And can low voltages harm stuff ? I know our fans growl and the fridge is noisy at certain times of the day.
Myrna

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Pulavik,
Yes - low voltages can harm items particularly Fridges or compressors as it causes them to stall. There is usually some protection in them like a thermal cut out but it will cause harm eventually.
The Tonal Device I mention used to be available in Ochoa in Santiago but I haven't seen them lately. If you have an invertor it will usually cut in at about 100V AC and protect items from low voltages. It must have enough capacity ie kW to power everything on it . For Fridges you need at least a 3.5kW with low and high voltage cut in.
Susan77 , It is hard to get these items here in DR but in thre US it is easy. That is why I put in the link. Get them there and have them bought down by a friend.

Olly

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob,

There are others on the market too :
These are GE Products and you can see them at

ElectricalDeals.com - Electrical Supplies, Equipment, Lighting, Devices and Controls

You would need the THQLSURGE which could be placed in your main panel in the Kitchen.

And I recomment this one too:

GCPD1300 Surge Protector, Hard-wired, Whole house protection, Mounts outside ANY BRAND load center., Volts: 120/240, Protects: 30ka, Warranty: $50k, Phases: 1, Wires: 3, Ge Circ Protect THSASURGE60, $118.95 each

Corbraboy,
The THQLSURGE does not require grounding as it is between line and neutral . The neutral is grounded at the transformer and pole but if you are some distance from that then it is "useful " to have a ground nearby your house principally for lightning surge protection.

Back to you Bob ,
I have had this fitted : THSASURGE60 - which does require a ground and also two 20 amp breakers .

We have three stages of surge/spike protection :THSASURGE60 at the transfer panel to protect bost incomming and Generator, At the invertor which is 5.5 kW 220 Volt fitted with about 900 joules surge protection, and in the main panel :THQLSURGE for the remainer of the house.
On individual appliances such as computers there is also a UPS - Omega 650 in most cases which also has surge protection.
On Fridges/Freezers we use a over voltage, surge protection devive by Tonal which cuts off the supply at over or under voltage.

We still get failures and recently I measured 137 volts on the nominal 120 which was 274 across the 220 V - the invertor had cut in on over voltage and saved the day.

This is a very big topic and the electrical conditions here in DR are severe.

Bob I hope that helps.

Olly

Thanks for the info.