Travel Restrictions on 600 Expats

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting item in today's DR1 news summary:

"In addition, more than 600 foreigners living in the Dominican Republic have been issued exit restrictions for various reasons.

Many people do not find out they have exit bans until they arrive at the airport to leave the country, when immigration officers inform them that they are not allowed to travel. "

Now besides worrying whether our residency papers have been lost, some expats must worry if they will be allowed to board the plane when they go to the airport.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
ken; I often asked immigration inspectors that question,and they will say casos pendientes con la justicia, meaning pending cases with criminal justice system, serious auto accidents pending litigation etc,is easy for a dominican attorney to place a hold if there is a case pending in the courts. soo stay out of trouble or you will be a real dominican after a long stay.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Impedimento de Salida, the restriction, is only if you have a pending legal issue as a defendant. Your lawyer will know if you have the restriction.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone can put an impedimento de salida if they know the right people. And you might not know. And you might not have a lawyer. There was an expat who owed me money and I spoke to my lawyer and would have been a piece of cake to stop her leaving the country. I didn't but I could have. 600 expats is a lot of expats and I am sure they are not all in the judicial system.

Matilda