Thid Thread...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
...brought to you with a new Kindle Fire, 3 minutes out of the box. Thank you Amazon and EPS. I just ordered this 5 days ago...

Beautiful display and fast browser. At this point it seems perfect for our needs on the road: email and browsing.

I'll try downloading and playing around with pictures in the next couple of days, but so far so good.

$200. An excellent purchase...

(I'm getting used to a onscreen keyboard. Weird...)

...unless you're a Fanboi...;)

More later...

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I found it's easier if I hold the Fire sideways...it expands the keyboard. I'm a large human with large mitts. I see I made a mistake in the thread title, d instead of s, they sit next to each other.

It's certainly no substitute for an actual computer, but we won't have to drag around a big case (17" desktop replacement) while on the road for basic needs. The Fire is no larger than a regular Kindle...

I'm pondering rooting the thing. I'll have to determine if connecting to Amazon is that important, because if you root one you lose that option...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Can you use all the services ? (I forgot where I read that most stuff wouldn't work out of the USA...)
I am caressing the idea of getting one too...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can you use all the services ? (I forgot where I read that most stuff wouldn't work out of the USA...)
I am caressing the idea of getting one too...
Not sure, but I think so. I get books on my regular kindle via wifi at home and I buy them with a DR IP, and (obviously) the wifi network is the same IP. When I turned it on it immediately linked to the home wifi and registered itself. Slick.

I tried a HD video this morning. Amazing clarity.

It links directly to the Kindle store where they have a bazillion books, games and movies. I'm not sure how important this is to us. However, they have a free cloud thing that allows most heavy files to live there instead of on the machine.

They have a bunch of apps, but select ones. You can't download an Android app unless you root the thing. If you root it you lose cloud and Kindle store access. That's the dilemma...

I will say this: we got this specifically for online needs while on tour, email and web browsing. For that it'll be cosmic. Any additional uses I can squeeze out will be pure bonus.

I don't know how one can beat it for $200 (well, $270 with leather case, stylus and shipping.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobra: explain "root" please.
Rooting is when you hack the underlying system to give unrestricted access to the Android operating system, stripping away, in this case, the Amazon layer.

The Kindle Fire is an excellent tablet. Amazon sells it so cheap hoping to make their $$$ with easy access to their store and partner enterprises (Netflicks, books, magazines/newspapers, etc.)

When you root a Kindle you lose all the Amazon stuff.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
My only gripe is that it is difficult to highlight text to copy and paste with my huge fingers.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My only gripe is that it is difficult to highlight text to copy and paste with my huge fingers.
I also bought that rubber-tipped stylus because of BFS (Big Finger Sydrome...)

So far so good. I just need to get more stylus-tap time...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobra, would you check if you can download apps ?

See the free Chess app: Chess | Free Kindle Fire Apps

Because I have been reading that: Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Kindle Fire work in Germany

And I might order a refurbished Kindle Fire... Maybe I'll root it ASAP if we can't download apps here in the DR...
I'll check.

My Panamanian guest who showed me her KF, goes here for apps that work on the device, a third-party client: GetJar | Mobile |.

As I posted earlier, it remains to be seen whether I'll root it or not...

Feb 7, 2007
@cobraboy - I "rooted" my Nook Color, but using an SD card so I have dual boot option. If I want Nook e-reader I just start it at dual boot, otherwise it automatically starts Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread, Android 2.3). Yesterday I found out that some people are now running fine Cyanogenmod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0) so when I have time (like in 2 months hehe) I will give it a try, also people saying that overclocking to 1.2Ghz works with no issues and gives you a blazing fast device. My NC has 7", it's great for HD movies and games when waiting in Popular (the only DR bank where you wait) (Marble Blast is awesome hehe) but yes, the onscreen keyboard...cannot get used to it.

So check on androidcentral.com whether dual boot from SD card is available for your Kindle fire as well.

I am not posting from any Android Application per say but am using a Toshiba Thrive AT100 tablet (The Thrive™ Tablet is founded on the tablet-optimized Android 3.2 Honeycomb platform) to post on DR1

It has the following array of full-size ports, including HDMI?, USB 2.0 and Mini USB, plus an SD card slot, making it very flexible
Chat, video conference and snap still pictures through a 2MP front webcam. And use a 5MP rear camera to capture photos & videos in high-def, and stereo speakers with custom sound enhancements.

http://us.toshiba.com/tablets/thrive/10-inch/

I guess my signature is not correct, and will change it.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
We should unite and ask Robert to get Tapatalk enabled on DR1. Would be so much easier coming to the Forum from mobile devices.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm waiting for a 10'' version.
As far as "asking Robert" goes,you need to wait a few days.
After reading this thread,he is under ,"heavy sedation"!
CC