Switching a Canadian Blackberry to DR service

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
I have a Blackberry 3G CDMA that was on contract with a Canadian telecom provider until yesterday ( we live in DR now and BB was just sitting idele to avoid expensive roaming).

We would like to use it now with a DR telecom provider, either Claro or Orange.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It may be possible to get the telephone to work on CDMA technology in DR, as far as I know, Claro or Orange data (email/internet) will only work on GSM. You really need an unlocked GSM phone (SIM CARD capable) for data + phone.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
If it has 3G capabilities then it surely should have a sim card and GSM capability. My wife and I both have phones brought from Canada and all it took was a carrier unlock in order for it to be used here. I believe I paid $20 per phone online to get an unlock code. Look up your carrier and model number on some phone forums and there should be a wealth of information on how to do it. If you want some links to some forums PM me and I'd be happy to lead you in the right direction.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If it has 3G capabilities then it surely should have a sim card and GSM capability.

Verizon 3G CDMA does not have a SIM Card down here in Nueva Yol. My 4G has a SIM card for data and CDMA for telee. Go figure. OP, post your model number BB and carrier, no need to PM, sharing is caring!