Las Terrenas Coastal Highway motorcycle run

dsmad

Dec 30, 2010
Nice looking ride.
Love the police truck in the one video. You must have been doing the speed limit

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Nice looking ride.
Love the police truck in the one video. You must have been doing the speed limit

HAHA,

That highway is pure motorcycle heaven. No one is on it! I only passed two cars for 15km!!

Where else could you have a highway all to yourself? It's absolutely amazing! And the scenery is absolutely stunning!

FRank

Eco-

Jan 12, 2012
Frank, what camera gear are you using for the one next to your head? IMHO is perfect since it captures the road and in the last couple clearly your speed. The lower mounted one (gas tank area) isn't my favorite view...but that upper one is sweet!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, what camera gear are you using for the one next to your head? IMHO is perfect since it captures the road and in the last couple clearly your speed. The lower mounted one (gas tank area) isn't my favorite view...but that upper one is sweet!

Yeah, i agree with you 100%. the video recorder mounted on my gas tank is a Flip video recorder ($110 from Amazon.com). Unfortunately, the Flip video recorder is vulnerable to the vibration of the engine at higher RPM's and gas tank vibration from both the road and engine. that's why i bought a new helmet mounted video recorder (Contour Roam) just last week--it's the one mounted to my helmet and is not vulnerable to the engine vibration nor the road or the gas tank vibration. this was my first time using it attached to my helmet and unfortunately, it's pointed too far down. now i know. I've since made a slight adjustment so that next time i go out to the Las Terrenas Coastal highway (on a different motorcycle next week, a 550 Supermoto) i will have more of a view of the road ahead, and everytime i look down at my RPM's and dashboard, it will show them as well (Although, my 550 doesn't have a dashboard).

I bought the Contour Roam off of Amazon.com for $179.00. I'm really happy with the quality. I'm also interested to see how long it takes me to cover the 15km on a single cylinder 550.

By the way, the run on that portion of highway that i recorded is 15km. it took me 7:27 to cover it from Point A to Point B, which means, if my math serves me correctly, that i averaged 77 MPH, or 123KM per hour. there are 46 curves for that portion of the highway...if i counted them correctly.

Frank

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
contour 's fine, but I would advice gopro as well :)

Yeah, i've heard nothing but good reviews about the Gopro. The build quality is supposed to be excellent, as are the HD video's that it shoots. However, i wanted something smaller that would sit flush against my helmet and not stick out. i also wanted something waterproof but that didn't require a plastic housing and make the video camera stick out even more. That's why i settled on the Contour Roam. It's waterproof out of the box and sits flush against any surface without being bulky. But i'm sure i would be happy with a Gopro as well.:knockedou

FRank

Eco-

Jan 12, 2012
I bought the Contour Roam off of Amazon.com for $179.00. I'm really happy with the quality. I'm also interested to see how long it takes me to cover the 15km on a single cylinder 550.

Frank

I'm a bit confused, your upper one is directly mounted to you helmet or on an arm or something ? With the wide angle your camera is capturing I can't recall it filming your helmet and that is why I'm wondering about the mount.

In reference to the Gopro, their cameras come with a shell that has two "backdoors" one which you can dive with and the other with little slots to increase the audio and would be pretty much rain proof on a moving bike. They have mounts for helmets and such but IMHO your helmet mount as is and video quality is darn near perfect.