20lb Gas tank for small barbecue......where can I find it?

Ama

Sep 5, 2007
Finally got a barbecue and now can not find 20lb gas tank (use LP cylinders only with these required measurements:12" diameter x 18" tall with 20lb capacity maximum) -that's what the product guide says....
I'm in Puerto Plata...please help !!!!!!
All what I can find are 25 lb.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Finally got a barbecue and now can not find 20lb gas tank (use LP cylinders only with these required measurements:12" diameter x 18" tall with 20lb capacity maximum) -that's what the product guide says....
I'm in Puerto Plata...please help !!!!!!
All what I can find are 25 lb.
I think I saw one at PriceSmart in Santiago last year. But unless you have a physical space issue, (like it has to fit in the bottom of the BBQ cabinet or something) there isn't any reason you cannot use the larger ones so common here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just use what you can find and stand it behind the BBQ... the bigger the tank, the less trips to refill.

BTW, I just started using the 'servicio domocilio' with the local propane people.
They come to the casa and fill - same price.

Unigas is my place here in Cabrera/el Breton

Ama

Sep 5, 2007
Thx guys, place is limited, the tank has to fit into the storage place under the bc. Called Santiago Price Smart...they have it and the man from "servicio domicilio" is helping me to find one here...thanks again!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
The connection is different .
Sorry, I had forgotten that part! We had the same issue with our USA imported BBQ. But it is easily fixed; took 5 minutes extra. Go to a ferreter?a to buy the bottle, also have them make a new hose with a new regulator. CHEAP too; think about it, how many Dominicans use gas bottles? Answer: nearly all of them. They had a bin full of the regulators and make custom hoses constantly. And we don't speak much Spanish....they knew the problem and the fix.

If you live in Cabarete, go to the ferreter?a next to Media Luna where we got ours cause....it's good one. But I am confident any ferreter?a that carries gas bottles can do this. If they cannot, buy your bottle at a different one!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Thx guys, place is limited, the tank has to fit into the storage place under the bc. Called Santiago Price Smart...they have it and the man from "servicio domicilio" is helping me to find one here...thanks again!
Great if you find the small "American" one without difficulty. I assume you will have no issue with fittings to fill the American tank, but do not know. We could have found one too, but had waited so long for that BBQ, no patience left to wait for a tank!!! "The only thing wrong with instant gratification is it takes too long."

We saved the old hose/regulator just in case we changed our minds. And the new hose is longer so easy to sit larger tank outside the cabinet. But now we like the larger size plus the tank is much more heavy duty..... and it's readily replaceable. And you will eventually replace it if you live anywhere near the ocean......or probably even if you don't with all this humidity.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You can find those small tanks at Ochoa. I bought one for my bbq there. I have no problems with getting it filled, although there is one gas-station between Sosua and Cabarete who claim they cannot fill it. All the others have no problem at all.

BelgianK

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
All that is need to use a regular propane tank on a BBQ is this adapter.

imagerequest.aspx

Onward Multi Corp QCC1 TO POL ADAPTER 11051

Amazon.com: Onward Multi Corp 11051 Adapter: Kitchen & Dining

NotLurking

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
All that is need to use a regular propane tank on a BBQ is this adapter.

imagerequest.aspx

Onward Multi Corp QCC1 TO POL ADAPTER 11051

Amazon.com: Onward Multi Corp 11051 Adapter: Kitchen & Dining

NotLurking
And if OP wants to keep tank in the cabinet, this fitting would make getting it filled here guaranteed no issue.

But sure it was cheaper than US$19 + shipping to get whole new hose and regulator for a DR tank.

Now, maybe the USA tank is cheaper than the DR tank to begin with??? It is smaller and less robust. However, not as common, so who knows. That would need to be part of the equation.