Rain Damage

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The heavy rains of recent days have caused much inconvenience in Sos?a. In the street to City Hall and at the corner at hotel in Europe, the water sometimes stood half a meter high. Also the access to Playa Chiquita was often impossible for several hours because of flooding. But who really suffered very much from the heavy rains, that were the poor Haitian residents living in the cottage along the river Sos?a. The mostly illegal Haitians, who fled their country for the horrors of that dreadful earthquake, can only live in little houses built in the most unfavorable places. That is on the steep banks along the waterfront or close to a dumping ground. These are places where a Dominican does not want to live. Due to the heavy rains of recent days, the rivers have burst their banks and flooded large areas of land

The houses were thus undermined and disappeared in the waves. Fortunately, family members offered them shelter and safety, so there were no personal injuries. But now several very poor Haitian families have been made homeless.

This is a problem wherever the poor Dominicans or Haitians live. For lack of any other place to put their shacks they build them beside rivers that always flood or on steep hillsides where they frequently wash down the slope during a heavy rain.
My cleaning lady yesterday told me that when we had all the rain earlier this week there was a foot of water on the floor of her house due to the river flooding over its banks.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
My cleaning lady yesterday told me that when we had all the rain earlier this week there was a foot of water on the floor of her house due to the river flooding over its banks.

Standing water in the house does not require living near a river! Happens in La Cienega (translates to "the swamp") just west of Cabarete regularly. Our maid's house had the same problem until we "loaned" her the money to improve the house. We expect that we will never be paid back in full and that is fine with us. But she has her dignity intact and is making payments. Cannot help everyone, but can help this family. And it's amazing what a difference a fairly small amount of money can make. If anyone wants to help another family in this way, PM me.