Tipping advice

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I understand there are no rules and tipping is always optional and based on level of service rendered. But i would like to know conventions in the DR and others' advice please.

Does one tip the gas station attendants and, if so, how much?

How much does one tip the supermercado bag boy?

How much for porters at airport when leaving Dr?

And when returning through Customs?

How much to bellboys in hotels?

Taxi drivers?

Massage therapists?

Pedicure/waxing/facials and so on?

I understand that 10% is the "legal" propina for food servers and that the restaurant is required to pay that. Many restaurant menus state that 26% will be added to their prices to cover the Itibis and tip. No problem with those restaurants. Problem comes in where no propina is listed as included or added on the bill. What does one do? Assume it's included as restaurant must pay it? Or pay another tip and risk a double dip by the restaurant? I have my doubts the restaurant actually pays the servers anyway.

Thanks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Gas Station: I give them a little something at Christmas or let them keep the change but don't recall ever seeing anyone tip them
Supermarket: Usually 35-50 pesos. Most supermarkets don't pay them a salary
Airport: I take care of my own suitcases but 2-3US is usually enough
Customs: HUH???
Bellboys: 2-5US depending on how much/how far, etc.
Taxi: Haven't taken one in ages but didn't use to tip way back when
Massage: 5-10US pesos depending on the place/service
Pedicure ect: 50 pesos

In general people will tip extra anyways in restaurants, especially if they've gotten a good service from a specific waiter. But as you mention, 10% is already included in the bill but who knows who gets it...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've actually never heard of anyone tipping gas station attendants, I'm always checking to be sure they give me what I've asked for.
Bag boy, depends what he's done, for a full trolley to the far end of the car park then 25pesos, and I reduce accordingly to zero for simply packing my bags and I carry them.
I've never allowed a porter to carry my bags, I'm paranoid like that and prefer as few people to touch my bag these days with the new swabs for identifying microscopic traces of illegal substances, even from the sweat of peoples hands, but I am super paranoid as I ALWAYS get searched.
I don't understand the customs one, sorry!
Bellboys 100pesos for taking the bags from the car through reception and on to the room.
Taxi drivers? I never tip, I barter for a better price.
Massage therapists, pedicures etc? Are these not services you are supposed to barter in price? Tipping seems to defeat the object. I dunno!
There is a big recent thread on restaurant tipping, and no one seemed to agree specifically if I remember correctly, personally I tip on the whole deal, if the food is crap I make it clear by not tipping the waitress, if it is good then I'll see what the change is and round it up to either 100 or 500 depending on the kind of place I'm in. some think that is wrong, but I am a bastard, can't help it.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
The customs question was because porters start grabbing bags near the customs officers in POP and I am busy talking to customs, so rarely get them stopped. That would be OK if they actually put the bags in the car, but they just dump you at the curb. All they do is push the cart you have loaded your bags onto already! Perhaps I need to try to insist they push it to the car and load it to get a tip? As it is now I really try to avoid them, but help to the car would be welcome and tipped willingly.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I tip more in the DR than the US, as think the money I give will have more of an impact. If the price of goods or services is abnormally low, then I'll add 20-30% at times IF service was good.

I don't tip based on norms- I tip based on what I would appreciate, basically, if the situation was reversed; if I was the one born in the DR, without the basic education to secure a better job. I think foreigners, especially those who live well,
almost have a duty to help the people around them. That does not necessarily need to be thru tips. You could also tip a bit lower, keep a mental record of that and then give more to a good charity, where the money will be better utilized. Sure, some of the money may be ill-spent, however I'm sure my tips have helped out at times with basic necessities. If EVERYBODY tipped a bit better, the lives of people in service positions here would be much better.

Does one tip the gas station attendants and, if so, how much? 100

How much does one tip the supermercado bag boy? 100

How much for porters at airport when leaving Dr? 1-200

And when returning through Customs?

How much to bellboys in hotels? 200

Taxi drivers? 200

Massage therapists? The price of massages here is low in most cases. Tip like you would in the US.

Pedicure/waxing/facials and so on?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gas station attendants - never filled a car at gas station so far but i understand there is not much tipping
supermercado bag boy - here in POP i give them small change, from 10 to 25 pesos
porters at airport - never used them
customs - it is generally agreed that a swift kick in the nuts would suffice but most people stop themselves from that
bellboys in hotels - small change, maybe 2 dollars tops
taxi drivers - never tip the a**holes, your "tip" is already calculated in when they give you the price
massage therapists - never had a massage in DR
pedicure/waxing/facials and so on - i round up or give 50 pesos or nothing if i have no change

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I 10% everything..... everything

Loose change at the market--- 10 -25 pesos
No gas jockeys
100 pesos at airport if they catch me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Listen to "DV8",who I believe id "Dominican"?????
Do lot listen to "Latitude19",as he/she is so insucure that they think they must way over tip,to feel "Liked"! Really!
A "Gas Station Attendant",a Dominican Taxi driver???...Are you "$HITTING ME"???????
Whats next,your doctor,the cashier,clerks???
Now,I DO,tip the "Bag Boy" at my favorite "super" 100 pesos,NOT for carrying my bags,but because he works in the "Meat Dept." until 2pm,THEN he is a "Bag Boy.
He miss labels my meat purchases,and THAT saves me 100's of pesos!
The other "Bag Boys",I tip 50 pesos,they bring me a stool to sit on while I wait to be checked out.And there is real "competition to get me to their cashier!
Now to the "Best Part",Massage"THERAPISTS!!!!!!
If they get naked,100 pesos.
If they give me a "Hand Job",100 pesos.
If I get "HEAD",200,300 if they "swallow"!
If we have sexual intercourse,500 pesos,no condom,up to 1,000,depending on how much they pretend they, "Never Do THAT"!!!!
Now you are,"Good-To-Go"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Now,"ANNA",here it comes!
What is the difference between a Canadian and a canoe??????????
Sooner,or Later,a Canoe TIPS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
CC, no respect, no respect!!! hahahahahaha

Rodney would have had competition. ;)

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
People . You are going to destroy the only place i can aford to take a vay kay! You are geting girls houses over tipping and soon I well be looked appon as so poor i should stay home. please don't destroy poor man's paridice play big spender in the bahamas ok.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Do lot listen to "Latitude19",as he/she is so insucure that they think they must way over tip,to feel "Liked"! Really!
A "Gas Station Attendant",a Dominican Taxi driver???...Are you "$HITTING ME"???????
Now,I DO,tip the "Bag Boy" at my favorite "super" 100 pesos,NOT for carrying my bags,but because he works in the "Meat Dept." until 2pm,THEN he is a "Bag Boy.
The other "Bag Boys",I tip 50 pesos,they bring me a stool to sit on while I wait to be checked out.And there is real "competition to get me to their cashier!
If we have sexual intercourse,500 pesos,no condom,up to 1,000,depending on how much they pretend they, "Never Do THAT"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
So I did fear CC might reply when I asked this question. And even hesitated before typing "massage". But this is way TMI.
At least I am not Canadian.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WILL",I Wish!
"South",Now it didn't hurt that bad did it?????
Post more.I can't stop myself!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
What's "TMI"?????:confused::confused:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

More information.......no entiendo

:laugh:

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Not big, but moderate GIVER, not spender. I led kayak tours a few summers and also worked with a parasailing outfit when younger. Tips were always appreciated and helped me out, just as I like to help out here. If my tips improve the living quality of a few locals just a bit, great. That is my intent. Like skateboarding, that is not a crime.

People . You are going to destroy the only place i can aford to take a vay kay! You are geting girls houses over tipping and soon I well be looked appon as so poor i should stay home. please don't destroy poor man's paridice play big spender in the bahamas ok.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its optional so tip what you want if you feel like it.....isnt that sort of the original idea of tipping, its got so PC these days that you are made to feel bad if you dont tip for bad service