Did Codetel DSL speeds plumbed lately? (In SD)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I have the DSL 6MB plan and it was working fairly well until 10+ days ago.
Now, I see the following behavior.

Afternoon until late night (after 1AM) speeds:
speed.com.do ~ 4.5MB
speakeasy.net ~ 0.5MB
speedtest.net ~ 0.5MB

After 1AM, speeds quite suddenly go up to 4.0+ on all tests. The fact that Codetel's own test is always good leads me to conclude that their Intl./Outbound connection is overwhelmed in peak hours. I cannot even get a Youtube SD video to play without buffering on a 6MB connection :(

Are others experiencing the same lately?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
yes, have definitely seen a slowdown on the net...most likely as you say the system is way overloaded with people staying at home, using the system, et...

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, I have seen this in my office in La Romana in the past several days.

DSL 2MB Plan. During the day, it's 0.5 mbps down 0.5 mbps up on speakeasy.net and tricom.net test site (tricom.net has direct peering with Codetel, so no international line is involved). Also on speed.com.do which is operated by Codetel I get 2 mbps down 0.5 mbps up EVERY TIME I TRY.
After 1 AM the speeds miraculously go up to 2 mbps down 0.5 mbps up on all speed servers.

Right now tested Romana line via remote login, 8.15 AM, and speeds were still at 2 mbps range on tricom and speakeasy.

But definitely the same behavior as you describe.

This does not seem to be international line, because even direct peering with Tricom (did a traceroute) has the same problem. Also i cannot believe that at 12.30 AM more people would be online than at 8.15 AM.

What is even stranger is that i do not have this problem at my Higuey home DSL connection (3 mbps connection) I get constant speeds (knock knock on the wood).

What I found out is I have two different IP ranges, 188.6.223.* in Romana, and 200.88.194.* in Higuey

Definitely seems a throttling case, because if I can get full speeds in Higuey, why not in Romana? Problem seems to be from Codetel Hop in SD onwards.

Again, same behavior for international line and for local peering with Tricom. I opened a TT with Codetel but I am giving calls to some people today (I noticed this behavior over the holidays) to see what explanation they would come up with.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Update: I called Codetel, made sure they knew I had some idea of what I was talking about (not letting them talk me into reseting modem, using their own speed test etc) and without much explanation on their part they said it would be "fixed" within the hour. And it was, back to normal speeds of close to 6MB+ on all Intl. tests (not just their own).

Looks like a case of throttling on their part... many customers won't notice and they'll get away with it.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Has it slowed down...

Hell yes it has.....my downloads have gone from 2.90 mbps to 3 kbps and then freezes up....... :mad::mad::mad:
Then it is normal again late at night......
It sucks.......

B in Santiago