Best thing about santo domingo?

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
What does everyone like the most about Santo DOmingo? WHy do poeple go there instead of going to other parts of the island?

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
The best thing about Santo Domingo is the baseball games held at the stadium. The 2nd best thing is the cultural activities such as music festivals, parades, Carnival, spontaneous "flash mobs" on the Conde, and various other city-like moments.

The worst thing about Santo Domingo is the garbage and the beggars.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The best thing about Santo Domingo is the baseball games held at the stadium. The 2nd best thing is the cultural activities such as music festivals, parades, Carnival, spontaneous "flash mobs" on the Conde, and various other city-like moments...............

I agree, plus I enjoy the colmados where you can have a nice cold one without the music blasting.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When you say "go there", do you mean to live, or to vacation?

To live, well, it's a big city and lots of people love that. I'm a city-girl at heart, and ironically I feel safer in SD than in the campo where our house is. I'd be perfectly content in a SD condo, but Mr. AE [born and raised in SD] is most definitely a country-boy at heart.

To me the best thing about Santo Domingo is the incredible history around the colonial zone. Cultural events if you're so inclined. Shopping: if you want it, you'll probably find it there someplace. The supermarkets are like being in the US, I've found everything I want in them, even Grana Padana cheese from Italy for my pasta.

My biggest gripe with SD is the traffic.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I liked the above post. Must have accidentally hit disliked. Wish I could undo it.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
A great place to flirt or not so great if you're not careful. It can be frustrating when the flirtations are only from prostitutes and bugarrons. Overall though this city is oozing with romance and sexuality. Just be careful.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
my favorite thing about it is it is so big. i can go to malls, stores, el conde, neighborhoods and date countless women without leaving the city. someone with good money in santo domingo can live the life easily in the dr. all the fast food and stores and everything are right there. it also is almost like home since i am a city person from nyc and the nyc area so it makes it feel natural for me to be there. even the danger factor or the dirtiness, i eat, sleep and breath that type of life and have done it my whole life.

the worst thing is that i like the beach and need to travel to get there. it is such a pretty island and the nature and lush countrysides are not visible from santo domingo

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
I like SD a lot because it is a city. I used to live in Brooklyn and would be all over NYC. The only thing I miss are areas where you can walk and there would be tons of stores, restaurants, bakeries and just things to look at. There is only the colonial zone here. I go back every couple of months and spend the whole day just walking around the city. The water is nice. But I need to really get good on my spanish. I can say the necessities but that is it. Oh well. Still a great place to live.

Liong

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
I like SD because as far as the local women are concerned, when us foreign men enter the city boundaries, we instantly become 20 years younger and 50 pounds lighter (though I'm already fit!) ;)

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Damn I am not 8 years old. I'm actually 18. Lol
My math was off last night. Yeah but at least I'm legal. ;)

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I like SD because as far as the local women are concerned, when us foreign men enter the city boundaries, we instantly become 20 years younger and 50 pounds lighter (though I'm already fit!) ;)

Luckily, I dont need to worry about being younger. i would be about 6 if i was 20 years younger. but yes the woman do like foreign men due to the tigres playing them too much and the local men having a reputation for being players.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Luckily, I dont need to worry about being younger. i would be about 6 if i was 20 years younger. but yes the woman do like foreign men due to the tigres playing them too much and the local men having a reputation for being players.
Don't you like dating women that have their OWN money and CAR like so many women in the states. You do not get tired of PAYING for 99.9999% of the time. Dominicans sisters are fine, but I have to have a woman with money money money.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............ The only thing I miss are areas where you can walk and there would be tons of stores, restaurants, bakeries and just things to look at. There is only the colonial zone here..............

By no means does it compare to NYC but just north of El Conde you should try Avenida Mella and Avenida Duarte in the Chinatown section. You can easily spend a few hours walking in that area. Also just behind Mercado Modello on the small streets are some very intersting vendors selling just about everything imaginable.