Activating a Blackberry & Need a Car rental

Joe2DR

Apr 25, 2012
so, I've being working on planning my trip to DR, but I still have two questions..

Is it possible to activate my BB Bold 9650 (phone & data) while I'm there?
Is there a cheap and reliable car rental in SD that I can use. The "insurance" cost is high... Besides, I have AMEX that covers me abroad as well.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
These are fairly routine questions. You might want to try the user friendly search function.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes you can activate. This phone is CDMA/GSM phone, so you can enter the chip. Most CDMA/GSM combo BB's come unlocked, but just verify with your carrier. In the DR, buy a chip (SIM card) frm Claro, Orange or Viva. This phone is not a 3G phone on GSM so the best data speed you will be able to get is EDGE (256 kbps in best circumstances, but about 56 kbps on average). enough for getting mail and using BBM, but not suitable for extensive web browsing. Cheapest BB package is with Viva (500 pesos + taxes) but Viva has had bad problems with over saturation in the past, I don't know how things are now. Second cheapest is Orange and is has OK EDGE speeds (850 pesos +taxes) the final one (most expensive) is Claro (995 + taxes). Claro will allow you to tether with laptop on their prepaid plan, others will not (on prepaid). With claro you can also buy the cheapest plan (social) and use APN so Opera Mini will work for web browsing if you need it, what will not work on Social is services ran via RIM (such as Googlemaps or BB maps, or Gmail app). Neither Orange nor Viva offer open APN on prepaid plans regardless of whether they are Full or Social.