Nacional foods.....WOW

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I posted this morning on the boards about dog food purchased there that had been infested with bugs. Well I found thier web site and sent a note to them.
All I can say is WOW and congrats to thier corp headquarters. It is now 3 hours after sending them the note and i have had three VERY nice emails and a follow up phone call (all i must say in English). Bottom line next time I am in Santiago i am to stop in the store for free replacements or a store credit in the amout that I spent. They also do not want me to return the dog food and no need for reciept as they now have it on record.
I am amazed, happy and speechless.
Congradulations to a company that obviously understands customer relations. A job well done.

BObK

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you were a new poster I would say no way. Next to impossible to get CS like that here. Good for you.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Probably the cleanest and most up to date (product wise) food store in Santiago........IMO...

B in Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good for you.... good to know.
I saw this mornings post and thought... "Ooops, problem here" Glad thats not so.

BTW, my wife the shopper, prefers the STI store over the SDQ one.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You know things are changing in this respect in The DR. Recently I went with a couple of friends to Adrian Tropical in Santo Domingo (The Main one in El Malecon). We ordered drinks, food, etc...one of my friends was about to take a bite of rice when he saw a little worm head sticking out of it. I had already eaten mine (Moro) so it was too late for me. Anyhow we showed it to the server who was speechless.

Since this was The DR we didn't know what was going to happen, but I didn't really had any good expectations. Figured they probably would offer us more rice (from the same pot) or maybe just offer to discount the price of the rice from the meal. To our surprise the manager showed up and told us we didn't have to pay for anything that we had ordered (The whole meal, drinks, etc) and that we could have a round of drinks and dessert on the house. Yes they screwed up and didn't catch the worm before cooking it, but made the right choice in treating us well. Due to their excellent response I will eat there again. Just not sure if I'll order any rice :paranoid:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
over 10 years ago, i bought a packet of kellogg's bran flakes with raisins from supermercado nacional (maximo gomez, sd).
got home, opened it up and it was full of maggots (noticed just in time thank goodness).

went back and changed it for a different box of cereal, absolutely no problem at all.
prices are higher, but i think the service has always been there (for me anyway).
i daresay, pola, la cadena and any of the others would do/have done the same.

have also bought some bread that turned out to be moldy (nacional, bella vista mall).......couldn't be bothered to go back though.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
You know things are changing in this respect in The DR. Recently I went with a couple of friends to Adrian Tropical in Santo Domingo (The Main one in El Malecon). We ordered drinks, food, etc...one of my friends was about to take a bite of rice when he saw a little worm head sticking out of it. I had already eaten mine (Moro) so it was too late for me. Anyhow we showed it to the server who was speechless.

Since this was The DR we didn't know what was going to happen, but I didn't really had any good expectations. Figured they probably would offer us more rice (from the same pot) or maybe just offer to discount the price of the rice from the meal. To our surprise the manager showed up and told us we didn't have to pay for anything that we had ordered (The whole meal, drinks, etc) and that we could have a round of drinks and dessert on the house. Yes they screwed up and didn't catch the worm before cooking it, but made the right choice in treating us well. Due to their excellent response I will eat there again. Just not sure if I'll order any rice :paranoid:
Thanks I know not to order the rice on my next trip

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Thanks I know not to order the rice on my next trip

To be fair I've eaten rice there many times and never had a problem and a little worm is very easy to miss in a big batch of rice which I'm sure they cook each time. I honestly didn't think it was that huge of a deal, but just was surprised by the excellent response we got.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Tough worms....................surviving being boiled alive......lol
There must be so many nasty things we eat, that we don't see...........:bunny:

B in Santiago

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Tough worms....................surviving being boiled alive......lol
There must be so many nasty things we eat, that we don't see...........:bunny:

B in Santiago

It wasn't alive. My rice was Moro de guandules, so if there were any in there I probably wouldn't have seen them anyway. We all had a shot of expensive whiskey (on the house) to "wash off" the Yuckyness...

Jan 17, 2009
I had an incredible similar experience in Ifixdr in Santiago. They fixed my laptop a whole ago but once I got to Cabarete, they had left a piece loose and the wireless wasnt working. I had to pay $50 to get it fixed locally. I mentioned this by email at the time. Today, when I went to pick up my desktop, the guy gave me a $50 bill and said it was to cover the cost of his mistake. His idea, I hadn't even insinuated he should pay for it.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I had a different experience with PriceSmart in Santiago. Bought two big bags of dry cat food. Found at home - both bags were sealed carefully with clear scotch tape at the bottom. Each bag was missing approx 4 pounds of content. Sent them a message through their web site, explaining the problem. Never heard back from anyone.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Good to know, that's where I purchase the large bags but they were out of stock a few days ago.....
Now I will check every bag....
Go in and ask to speak to the manager, he speaks English and is always accommodating.....

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
La Sirena... about a year ago...

I bought a blender at the La Sirena in La Vega. Not one of the cheap kinds, it actually costed me around 3,500 rds. I chose it because it could also crush ice.

After 7 days, the blade got stuck. No possible movement in it whatsoever. I think I used it 3 times during that period. Took it back, where I was told the warranty on electrical items was 5 days, so no warranty. I suggested buying a replacement blade, but they did not carry any spare parts.

Finally managed to get the blade unlocked, but the blender leaked from the seal. Got someone local to fix it for 50 rds, and worked fine, till it exploded a couple of weeks ago.

Lesson 1: I will never buy any electrical appliance from La Sirena anymore.
Lesson 2: I will never buy another Oyster appliance, as they are absolute crap (the above mentioned blender, a grill, a coffee maker)

Some companies, and brands, do not understand the value of customer service.

BelgianK

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I believe the DR receives an overabundance of 2nd's and refurbished products that are sold as new..........
It is always BUYER BEWARE........
I was looking to purchase a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer mdl 600 575 watts at PriceMart a few days ago...quite expensive
Ended up purchasing on Ebay yesterday and will bite the bullet on the shipping charge.......
If you purchase from an Ebay top-rated seller and it's stated as new.......It will be new.....

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I believe the DR receives an overabundance of 2nd's and refurbished products that are sold as new..........
It is always BUYER BEWARE........
I was looking to purchase a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer mdl 600 575 watts at PriceMart a few days ago...quite expensive
Ended up purchasing on Ebay yesterday and will bite the bullet on the shipping charge.......
If you purchase from an Ebay top-rated seller and it's stated as new.......It will be new.....

B in Santiago

recently switched from eps to encargopaq. They charge you 140 rds per pound, all inclusive. Mind you, they are 1 or 2 days slower, and their email follow-up is not perfect. But they are well worth the price-difference. Membership is free as well.

BelgianK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BOBK!!!

When you go to the Nacional in Santiago, please ask to see Karla Barrientos...she is the manager, my old student, and a very dear friend..really...she is a sweetheart and a great executive.

Cordially,

HB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
BOBK!!!

When you go to the Nacional in Santiago, please ask to see Karla Barrientos...she is the manager, my old student, and a very dear friend..really...she is a sweetheart and a great executive.

Cordially,

HB

can she give us a dr1 discount on steaks?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
BOBK!!!

Cordially,

HB

HB,

She is the one who helped me. She was terrific and most efficient. I will be seeing her on my next trip down.

Bob K