Building a school in DR

R

Roger

I posted a message similar to this one recently, however cannot seem to find it now, so I am re-posting. I am interested in bringing school supplies to an existing school in the "Marimon"? area near Puerto Plata. Additionally I would like to build an actual building in another area further up in the mountains. I have done this kind of work before in Haiti so the actual construction is not an issue.

What I need to know is 1) Who withing the government to contact. 2) How do I contact them (is it possible to do it via the internet) as I would like to have as much of the paperwork/red tape done prior to going down. 3) Although I have been told that all the materials I need are available in DR, would I get more value for my dollar if I purchase them there or purchase them in the US and have them shipped over.

I would probably be renting a house on a short term basis. Should I ship over personal type items: small appliances, TV, furniture, etc. or is it cheaper to find a furnished place.

I am really at ground zero here, and need as much information as possible as I want to be as efficient as possible with the financial resources that I have.

A list of appropriate government officials, etc. with e mail addresses if available would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

M

Maria Obetsanov

Write the Secretary of the President, who should be able to give you the right departments. Same request as this post.

R

Roger

Do you where or how to get in touch with this individual?

Thanks for the response.

D

D.D.

First of all let me congratulate you for your kindness in trying to help educate the poor. It takes a special person like yourself to show such a gesture of good cause. Congratulations Roger !!

Obviously, the government entity involved with schools is the Ministry of education. I believe it is them that you need to contact. I am not sure if they have a web site or e-mail address but I will check and get back to you. Do you speak Spanish? I doubt it very much if you could get anything done (paperwork/red tape) without local representation prior to your arrival. In fact, for such things, I suggest you seek help from community leaders in the area where you want to build once you get here.

As far as importing building materials, I really think you are better off buying them here unless you get the duties waived which is most unlikely. If by any chance you could get your materials duty free, you can count on free ocean freight from southern Florida to the North West part the DR between December and May. I know a way. e-mail me. By the way what materials are we talking about?

I do not suggest shipping your personal items. Forget about that. It is too expensive and a lot of hassle.

You say that you are at ground zero. Do you have any idea of costs associsated with building in the DR? I will be glad to get you some quotes if you send me a list of materials.

T

Tom F.

I think the community is called Maimon. As far as bringing in school supplies, that could be done directly with the local school or with the district office in Puerto Plata. The most direct link to where you want it to go would be preferred. Do you have the names of the Director and/or the teachers in the school you are assisting? I could get this information for you if it is necessary.

Building a building in the DR would probably need some supervision by the District Office and of course the local community. I doubt if the local offices have reliable information on the internet and would recommend this be done initially by phone if you speak Spanish. Call the Dominican Consulate in Washington (www.domrep.org) and hopefully they can give you the right numbers. You really need someone on the ground in the DR. Are you talking about US$50,000-75,000? It's not quite big enough to make the government want to get too involved.

I know people who work with solar electricity in the area and may be able to help in some way. Let me know.

R

Roger

Thanks to all for your responses. If there is still anyone out there with further information, I am still looking for help. Is anyone familiar with any missionary or volunteer organizations within the DR?

Thanks

N

Natasha

Re: has HB seen this? :)

HB,

Any suggestions for Roger? Very good replies by D.D. and Tom F. as usual. I too urge you to contact the Dominican Ministry of Education and the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Washington, DC, (202) 332-6280.

In addition, this might help:

EDUCA
Aida Consuelo Hernandez, Directora Ejecutiva
Av. Independencia 15, Ciudad Nueva, S.D.
Tel: (809)682-1616 ext. 21

FLACSO
Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales
C/Jose Joaquin Perez 6, Gazcue, S.D.
Tel:(809)686-3664/54/58/75
Fax:(809)686-4044

FUNDACION FALCONBRIDGE
Maximo Gomez 30, Edificio FIMACA, 3er piso, S.D.
Tel:(809)686-0727/0297/07/45/0930
Fax:(809)689-4735

POVEDA
Tel:(809)689-5689 - 686-0210
Fax:(809)685-4635

Regards,
Natasha

H

hillbilly

Yes, he has!

I built a couple of schools years ago. My first thought was , Man, I'd like to have time to do this!

All the information is quite correct. I am sure that Milagors will Okey a plan with no hassle. go right to the top. Don';t take no for an answer.+-

Supplies are easy nowadays..you could even make it a Community Development sort of thing and make the blocks right there at the site.
You will have to get the land.which might take s bit of hustling...Get in touch with me if you need a hand. I can give a couple of days..

And Tom probably will do something too. It's in our blood.
HB

R

Roger

WOW!! I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere

Thanks to all who have so far responded. I am a newbee at this boards thing so please bear with me.

Natasha-thanks for the information. I can see right away that one of the first things for me to address is my poor Spanish. I will try to translate the information you gave, but if you could provide English tranlation for me it would be great.

Tom-got your latest e mail and will be back in contact.

D.D.-thank you, your information is also very helpful, I will stay in contact via e mail.

Hillbilly-I appreciate your sentiments. After the project I did in Haiti, I wanted to do it full time, but life takes up so much time already doesn't it. Thanks for the info, but who are the "Milagors" and how do I get to the top? From your statement about helping, I assume you and Tom are residents. I would love to meet both of you when we get down there and would welcome any time you might be able to spare. I understand the part about it being in your blood, I get involved with so many volunteer projects here that I end up taking vacation time from work in order to do them, but man the feeling's great after you do something like this. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep in contact via e mail,as I got the impression of a kindred spirit.

Again, thanks to all and I'd still appreciate any more info anyone else has to offer.