question regarding us tourist visa

xenja

May 29, 2012
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and i hope someone here can be some help to me.

I am a us citizen, but live overseas (europe). I used to live in the DR and have a dominican boyfriend. He have visited me twice in Europe. I am now pregnant and my boyfriend will move within this year to the country i live in.

My problem is that i want to go back home to the us to have the baby, and i would love for the babydaddy to be there with me. He cant come to Europe where i live while he has an application for a visa.

Do you think it will be hard for him to get a tourist visa to the us? He will show that he has an application to live in Europe with me and the baby, and he has no familiy or other ties to the us. He can get job papers, but they wont be worth so much when he is going to move from DR within the end of the year.

He has an bank account but there is not much money in it. He doesnt trust the banks after someone skimmed his bankcard and wiped clean his account. Sad, but it has happened to me and lots of my friends.

He will have about 60-70 000 peso in his account when he will apply for the visa. Do you think that will be enough? I dont want him to have too much money in dr since hes going to move away.

Ive gotten myself into this sticky situation, not the best i must say. But i would like for us to try and have a chance to an ok life with the baby. We have been togeter for over 3 yrs now if it matters.

Do you think it would be hard for him to get the visa? I will meet him in the us when he comes. What q's will they ask him at the embassy? How should i prepare him?

Thanks so much for your help.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Xenja--

I wish you the best with your pregnancy, and the start of your family.

I don't like it when others are harsh to new posters, so I'd like to be the first to start off the thread. If it sounds harsh, know that I'm trying to be realistic, not mean.

What I know for sure about the DR, is nothing is for sure. So while I think that it's doubtful he'll get the visa, I think you should try. (Nothing ventured, nothing gained.) If it's really important for you that he's with you when you deliver, you might also consider going to the Dominican Republic to give birth. (Ok, breathe, it's not as bad as it sounds!)

Dealing with visa issues are stressful. You don't need that kind of stress when you are pregnant. So let him do it, but don't hold his hand through it. You need to concentrate on the baby (and logistics of moving?). Seems like he's going to be able to come to Europe with you, so don't make it a high stakes got-to-be-there-when-the-baby-is born proposition.

I've highlighted in red my thoughts on the points you've raised.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on the little one.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and i hope someone here can be some help to me. You are going to get a variety of answers, and you'll have to weigh them. (Just like as a new mother you are going to live with tons of well-meaning but contradictory information) While DR1 is a good place for your questions, the lawyer on the board is specialized in Dominican law, and usually doesn't comment on US Immigration issues. There is an informational website that helps Domincan's with visas, perhaps someone will post it.

I am a us citizen, but live overseas (europe). I used to live in the DR and have a dominican boyfriend. He have visited me twice in Europe. I am now pregnant and my boyfriend will move within this year to the country i live in. His visits and return from Europe work in his favor.

My problem is that i want to go back home to the us to have the baby, and i would love for the babydaddy to be there with me. He cant come to Europe where i live while he has an application for a visa. Even if he can get the visa, I'm afraid it'll take too long for him to make it in time for the birth. Perhaps someone who has been successful can comment on how long it takes. Immigrant visas take a long time, perhaps tourists are less.

Do you think it will be hard for him to get a tourist visa to the us? He will show that he has an application to live in Europe with me and the baby, and he has no familiy or other ties to the us. He can get job papers, but they wont be worth so much when he is going to move from DR within the end of the year. An application to Europe isn't an approval for Europe, so won't help from a US standpoint. He can't prove he doesn't have family, and he has a pregnant US citizen girlfriend, which means he's likely to stay.

He has an bank account but there is not much money in it. He doesnt trust the banks after someone skimmed his bankcard and wiped clean his account. Sad, but it has happened to me and lots of my friends. He needs to have sufficient funds to prove his assets. Wealthy people take precautions when they are victims, they don't stop using banks outright. Sorry, this is going to be a major problem.

He will have about 60-70 000 peso in his account when he will apply for the visa. Do you think that will be enough? I dont want him to have too much money in dr since hes going to move away. Seems like you're the source of his cash, that's the problem.

Ive gotten myself into this sticky situation, not the best i must say. But i would like for us to try and have a chance to an ok life with the baby. We have been together for over 3 yrs now if it matters. Don't settle for an "ok life". You and baby deserve AWESOME!

Do you think it would be hard for him to get the visa? I will meet him in the us when he comes. What q's will they ask him at the embassy? How should i prepare him? While I think it'll be hard, if you can afford it, try. I think the best preparation is honesty.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it will be difficult, especially if there is no clear reason why he has to return to the Dominican Republic. If there is any suspicion at all that he will overstay and become an undocumented alien in the US, he has no chance of getting a visa.

Has he be approved to go to Europe, or has he submitted his application and is waiting to see if it is approved?

If he has been approved and if you have documents showing that you are established in Europe and will definitely be returning there after baby is born, this might help.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
sorry to say this, but he will not get the visa from what I read. They are very touchy at the U.S. embassy here in the Santo Domingo. If you were married and you are a U.S. citizen then maybe yes, but otherwise, he needs full of cash, a excellent job here, and so on. I advise you not to spend money on that because they do not give it back!!...I am talking with experiencing last week with my girlfriend, even though I was her supporter and I am a Canadian and she has her Canadian visa!! Wish you good luck for your baby :)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
As a U.S. citizen, whether or not you are legally married, the consulate will consider you man and wife and require your "spouse" to obtain an immigrant visa in order to get into the U.S. They will not grant a visitor visa. If you have unlimited means and lots of time then by all means give it a shot. It will be a waste of time and money. If you have limited means then I strongly advise comming up with a "plan B". Going for the visitor visa will be a money loosing, frustrating experience.

my opinion based on my experience

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and i hope someone here can be some help to me.

I am a us citizen, but live overseas (europe). I used to live in the DR and have a dominican boyfriend. He have visited me twice in Europe. I am now pregnant and my boyfriend will move within this year to the country i live in.

My problem is that i want to go back home to the us to have the baby, and i would love for the babydaddy to be there with me. He cant come to Europe where i live while he has an application for a visa.

Do you think it will be hard for him to get a tourist visa to the us? He will show that he has an application to live in Europe with me and the baby, and he has no familiy or other ties to the us. He can get job papers, but they wont be worth so much when he is going to move from DR within the end of the year.

He has an bank account but there is not much money in it. He doesnt trust the banks after someone skimmed his bankcard and wiped clean his account. Sad, but it has happened to me and lots of my friends.

He will have about 60-70 000 peso in his account when he will apply for the visa. Do you think that will be enough? I dont want him to have too much money in dr since hes going to move away.

Ive gotten myself into this sticky situation, not the best i must say. But i would like for us to try and have a chance to an ok life with the baby. We have been togeter for over 3 yrs now if it matters.

Do you think it would be hard for him to get the visa? I will meet him in the us when he comes. What q's will they ask him at the embassy? How should i prepare him?

Put together as much documentation as possible. His previous visas to Europe and his return back to the DR if possible. Proof that you live in Europe, rent or own a place, a letter from your employer saying you are returning to work, note from the doctor to say that you are pregnant.

Best of all I would include a copy of his application for residency in whatever country he has applied to. Explain that he can't apply for another vistior visa to Europe at this time. Explain in detail the reason why you would both want to be in the US for the birth.

They have to be convinced that you have strong ties in Europe and have no intention of staying in the US after the baby is born because the babies father will be moving to Europe. Hope that makes sense. I'm kind of tired tonight ;)

Good luck

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
My wife received a ten year, multiple entry visa the first time we applied in Santo Domingo. So, anything is possible.

As a U.S. citizen, whether or not you are legally married, the consulate will consider you man and wife and require your "spouse" to obtain an immigrant visa in order to get into the U.S. They will not grant a visitor visa. If you have unlimited means and lots of time then by all means give it a shot. It will be a waste of time and money. If you have limited means then I strongly advise comming up with a "plan B". Going for the visitor visa will be a money loosing, frustrating experience.

my opinion based on my experience

xenja

May 29, 2012
Hello,

i would like to thank everyone who has answered me here :) very grateful for that. Ill take all your suggestions into concideration when we will apply. Doesnt hurt to try. Ill state in the invitation that he has an application and will get it, just waiting for the acctual stamp in the passport. And show proof that i live and study aborad, with no intention of staying back in the us. Do you think adding health inforamtion ablout my pregnancy from where i live in Europe, and that im a student and will continue school here. I dont want to apply for a imigrant visa cuz we have no intention of ever living in the us. The only reason why he is going to apply for a us visa is so he can come and be with me for the birth.

Im adding a lot of information regarding my life and what he will do here in Europe when he comes. He will attend school to learn the language, which is also an requirement to stay here.

Again thanks so much.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Hello,

i would like to thank everyone who has answered me here :) very grateful for that. Ill take all your suggestions into concideration when we will apply. Doesnt hurt to try. Ill state in the invitation that he has an application and will get it, just waiting for the acctual stamp in the passport. And show proof that i live and study aborad, with no intention of staying back in the us. Do you think adding health inforamtion ablout my pregnancy from where i live in Europe, and that im a student and will continue school here. I dont want to apply for a imigrant visa cuz we have no intention of ever living in the us. The only reason why he is going to apply for a us visa is so he can come and be with me for the birth.

Im adding a lot of information regarding my life and what he will do here in Europe when he comes. He will attend school to learn the language, which is also an requirement to stay here.

Again thanks so much.

You have a 50/50 chance so like others have said if you have the money to burn then give it a try. I did it when my then girlfriend was pregnant and she tried for the Tourist visa and was denied. So we did the Immigrant visa and a couple of thousand dollars later she is now a permanent resident of the US of A. However, I know of a gal who apllied for a tourist visa with no strong ties (she did have a job, some money in the bank and owns a car) and she was given a 10 year multiple visa. So it's a matter of luck (day of the week, how many visas were issued that day or month and the mood of the person interviewing).
Now, if he doesn't get a visa you do have the option of giving birth in Santo Domingo and the baby will not only be a US Citizen but will also have Dominican Citizenship. I have done this and we were quite happy with everything. We had a great GYN and a great pediatrician. We used the Abel Gonzalez Hospital on Lincoln and soup to nuts cost us $5500USD which insurance covered all. Consider this option because the visa will not be a sure thing. Good Luck!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hello, i would like to thank everyone who has answered me here :) very grateful for that. Ill take all your suggestions into concideration when we will apply. Doesnt hurt to try. Ill state in the invitation that he has an application and will get it, just waiting for the acctual stamp in the passport. And show proof that i live and study aborad, with no intention of staying back in the us. Do you think adding health inforamtion ablout my pregnancy from where i live in Europe, and that im a student and will continue school here. I dont want to apply for a imigrant visa cuz we have no intention of ever living in the us. The only reason why he is going to apply for a us visa is so he can come and be with me for the birth. Im adding a lot of information regarding my life and what he will do here in Europe when he comes. He will attend school to learn the language, which is also an requirement to stay here. Again thanks so much.
The application for a US visitor's visa will have everything to do about him proving he will exit the US by the end of his visa period. The connections he has to you, pregnancy included, being that you are a US citizen will be negatives. Yes there is chance he will get a visitor's visa, but that is a VERY small chance given what you stated in this thread.

xenja

May 29, 2012
hello, thanks again. For me giving birth in The DR is not an option. I haven myself never lived in the US, so if i give birth other places my baby will not get the american passport or citizenship. So i have to go to the US to have the baby, and i will go there with or without the babydaddy. Just it would be nice that he could join me. So i dont live or have lived in the US before, i am american because my mom is from there, but she moved away in her early 20s.

Would it be better if i also put with a copy of my european passport too? to show that i live and have my familiy in europe and not the us.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
hello, thanks again. For me giving birth in The DR is not an option. I haven myself never lived in the US, so if i give birth other places my baby will not get the american passport or citizenship. So i have to go to the US to have the baby, and i will go there with or without the babydaddy. Just it would be nice that he could join me. So i dont live or have lived in the US before, i am american because my mom is from there, but she moved away in her early 20s.

Would it be better if i also put with a copy of my european passport too? to show that i live and have my familiy in europe and not the us.

As I mentioned before, for a visitors visa it is all up to your boyfriend and his situation. You cannot "sponsor" him so you don't "put with" passports or anything else for him. The closer they judge your relationship to him being that you are a US citizen the less likely it is for him to get a visitor's visa.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Be careful with that. It can affect your chances further down the road if he doesn't get it the first time

Windeguy, I am, and also a resident here, as well as being an established businessman.

JD is correct.

(JD, as a rule US visitor's visas are next to impossible, I would have said impossible, to get for Dominican spouses of US Citizens. You were very fortunate or your wife got the visa a long time ago. )

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Best of luck. Tourist Visa's to the US are hard to come by. Based on my own experience as well, and I tried several times, I did everything the lawyers told me including deposit money in her bank account, she took letters from her employers and her family owns property. It still wasn't enough and we ended up getting married and going the CR1 visa route. I have seen a few rare people obtain a tourist visa, so I am not going to say it's impossible, but generally those people had been in the U.S. before and had ample wealth , which fulfills the " reason to return " part of the qualifications. The problem is historically, the vast majority who obtain tourist visas from Third World Nations, be it the D.R. or anywhere just don't return and illegal immigration is a major issue. With this being an election year, it more than likely exacerbates the issue.

Not saying you can't but to be honest, you would probably be better off getting a Fiance visa or if you plan on getting married, a residence visa. Again, we tried 3 times and just gave in.

I wish you luck, but I would consider the options and the cost factor. And the one poster is right, the more you apply, the more it affects subsequent applications. If you're a citizen through your mother, it doesn't matter where the child is born. Take your proof of U.S. citizenship and the child's birth documents to the Consulate and that's it. A child of a U.S. citizen born anywhere in the world is automatically a U.S. citizen , it just takes some paperwork.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Best of luck. Tourist Visa's to the US are hard to come by. Based on my own experience as well, and I tried several times, I did everything the lawyers told me including deposit money in her bank account, she took letters from her employers and her family owns property. It still wasn't enough and we ended up getting married and going the CR1 visa route. I have seen a few rare people obtain a tourist visa, so I am not going to say it's impossible, but generally those people had been in the U.S. before and had ample wealth , which fulfills the " reason to return " part of the qualifications. The problem is historically, the vast majority who obtain tourist visas from Third World Nations, be it the D.R. or anywhere just don't return and illegal immigration is a major issue. With this being an election year, it more than likely exacerbates the issue.

Not saying you can't but to be honest, you would probably be better off getting a Fiance visa or if you plan on getting married, a residence visa. Again, we tried 3 times and just gave in.

I wish you luck, but I would consider the options and the cost factor. And the one poster is right, the more you apply, the more it affects subsequent applications. If you're a citizen through your mother, it doesn't matter where the child is born. Take your proof of U.S. citizenship and the child's birth documents to the Consulate and that's it. A child of a U.S. citizen born anywhere in the world is automatically a U.S. citizen , it just takes some paperwork.

I agree with all of your post except the last part. There is an exception in the law. I did some research on it and since the woman has never lived in the US, her child does not automatically become a US Citizen. She would actually have to either have it in the US or enter the US to live full time and then have it naturalized.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You're probably right. I didn't know about the exception. Thanks for the heads up.

From Is Your Child a U.S. Citizen if Born Abroad? | LegalZoom

"Although the "citizenship by birth" rules have been complex, the February 2001 Child Citizenship Act (CCA) simplified the process. Now, a child who is under the age of 18, was born outside the U.S., and has at least one U.S. citizen parent automatically acquires U.S. citizenship upon entry into the country as an immigrant. No further paperwork is necessary. The parent may request a Certificate of Citizenship and U.S. Passport for the child if proof of the baby's American-ness is desired.

But this process only applies to children permanently residing in the U.S. If the child is under 18, was born outside the United States, but lives abroad in the physical and legal custody of a U.S. citizen parent or U.S. citizen grandparent, the parent or grandparent must apply for naturalization of the child. In addition, more criteria must be met.
The U.S. citizen parent or grandparent must have been physically present in the U.S. for five years before the child's birth, at least two of which were after age fourteen. Further, the child must be temporarily present in the U.S. for the naturalization process and to recite the oath of allegiance. Of course, if the child is too young to understand the oath, this requirement may be waived."

I clearly see why she wants to be in the US for the baby's birth. As for the father getting a visitor's visa, we discussed how unlikely that will be.