punta cana to perto plata

tanicos

May 28, 2012
hi

are there any buses or flights from punta cana to puerto plata? i will be arriving next week and my flight leaves me in punta cana.

thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You will have to take the Expreso B?varo to Santo Domingo, then Caribe or Metrobus to Puerto Plata. If your plane doesn't arrive in time for you to get the last bus to Santo Domingo (4pm) there are alternatives, but the best bet would be to stay overnight.

See this thread for info on Expreso B?varo, times, location of stops and how to get there:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast/114334-east-coast-basic-information.html
It also contains a listing of accommodation options in the area.

Caribe Tours website
Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos
Metro Bus website
Metro Servicios Turisticos

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Does your airline service other cities? If you include wait times for the buses, etc., you are looking at an almost 10 hour trip. Scenic, but long. I don't know if any of the domestic carriers are offering flights between the two areas right now.

tanicos

May 28, 2012
Does your airline service other cities? If you include wait times for the buses, etc., you are looking at an almost 10 hour trip. Scenic, but long. I don't know if any of the domestic carriers are offering flights between the two areas right now.
well the price to punta cana is 500 euros and to puerto plata is 1100 euros and i booked it to punta cana, at least i will save 500 euros

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Check with Santo Domingo (SDQ) or Santiago (STI). Both are far closer to Puerto Plata, and will save you - at a minimum - 3 to 4 hours each way.

If not, I'd add a few days of internal travel time to the trip. You'll be totally wiped out if you spend 10 hours on a bus and another 8+ flying back to Europe, and will need a vacation from your vacation.

tanicos

May 28, 2012
Check with Santo Domingo (SDQ) or Santiago (STI). Both are far closer to Puerto Plata, and will save you - at a minimum - 3 to 4 hours each way.

If not, I'd add a few days of internal travel time to the trip. You'll be totally wiped out if you spend 10 hours on a bus and another 8+ flying back to Europe, and will need a vacation from your vacation.

The thing is that i intend to stay a few good months in DR. A long long vacation to say :) From what i see there are about 430 km - 267 miles from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata via Santo Domingo. I'd say that the bus should not make more than 5 hours till there or even less or maybe i'm wrong

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The thing is that i intend to stay a few good months in DR. A long long vacation to say :) From what i see there are about 430 km - 267 miles from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata via Santo Domingo. I'd say that the bus should not make more than 5 hours till there or even less or maybe i'm wrong

Eh, no. About 3.5 hours from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, depending on the time of day you'll be crossing the capital it might take you around an hour. Then if I remember correctly it's around 3 hours up to Puerto Plata (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And that's if you manage to catch your connection in Santo Domingo without any delays.