spanish immersion schools

em109

May 31, 2012
anyone know of the best spanish immersion school? i wanna go to DR and learn spanish!!

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
anyone know of the best spanish immersion school? i wanna go to DR and learn spanish!!

The spoken spanish in the DR is substantially different from other countries; the use of idioms and slang greatly complicates learning spanish in this country. You'd perhaps be better off going to Costa Rica or Colombia to learn spanish.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
The spoken spanish in the DR is substantially different from other countries; the use of idioms and slang greatly complicates learning spanish in this country. You'd perhaps be better off going to Costa Rica or Colombia to learn spanish.

That's right, same words in Spanish can mean different things in spanish, depends on the country of origin. For example, I'm told ahrita means "later" in DR, & in my understanding it means "right now.". I learned that the hard way & thought I was stood up!

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009

Yup, the SPanish schol is called going to the DR and talking only spanish to people for a month. You can even pay a hot, jobless local woman or two from a barrio to come teach you everyday and eat lunch with you.

em109

May 31, 2012
everyone says DR is not the place to learn spanish but i love the culture i want to speak spanish all day and dance bachata all night!!

Dec 26, 2011
The letter "s" is often missing in Dominican speech. Not to worry. They don't disappear exactly as they're reinserted later where they don't belong by those from the Cibao when they're trying extra hard to be extra fi(s)no.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Thest best spanish immersion school in the dr can be found by arriving at an airport in the dr and listening and only talking spanish with a translator and people around you. Copy anything you hear with perfection like a parakeet. Do not speak english until you are on the way back from the coutnry in the airplane and most of the people speak english around you. That schol is great and has made me fluent and with an accent that can blend in the dr in many cases and can understand everything anyone says around me as well as I understand english. In short" treat the DR like a big spanish classroom. Go ahead and have fun with everything.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several good places. I do believe that the Dominico-Amercano Institute is one. Here in Santiago, there is a Berlitz, and ELI (which offers Spanish classes)

By not hanging out with anyone who speaks English and watching Spanish television stations you can pick up a lot to go with your formal classwork...

Spanish is easy to pronounce, difficult to master, because it has genders and lots of tenses: Present, Imperfect past, Past and so forth. Few conditional verbs, so there is a conditional tense...makes for complications. But you can get along well with a bit of practice.

Good Luck..

HB

And in Costa Rica there is Conversa--look up Conversa.com If you don;t find it give me PING and I will find it for you...They are over 40 years in the business of teaching languages...