U-TURN

S

SCARAMOOCH

I notice in today's DR1 news where the president made into law where the power suplyers are mandated by law to service those poor barrios, funny it wasn't long ago where his position was that every body was going to pay for electricity, even those destitude with out hope and full of despair. Did I have something to do about the sudden change of heart?????? Two days before I posted here on DR1 forum about lessons in history how revolutions are started,I pointed out when 80 percent of the population lives in poverty and you take the most basic of thing like (electricity), you find yourself with people with nothing to lose. Perhaps he was reading about the Russian revolution and had visions of anarchy running rampant in the streets of Santo Domingo.Those here on this forum that are alarmist about Haiti taking over this country better put their energy changing the socio-economics of the country,speak against the corruption that keeps the wealth from trickling down to the poor,advocate a living wage to the worker to bridge the gap of the have and have not. Finally I don't think there have been a Haitian that have come across the border and took a good job away from a Dominican. Even though I am against the mass exodus of Haitian across the border you have to remember that it was Trujillo that forbade any Dominican from cutting sugar cane. All the lowliest jobs were delegated to Haitian then and now.So we were weaned on that even the most uneducated Dominican you will find him drinking beer or being a "chulo" before you see him cutting sugar cane. BLAME IT ALL ON TRUJILLO.

D

D.D.

Though my reading ability in Spanish is quiet limited, it seems like what I read on the newspapers Hoy and Listin is slightly different than what I read on DR1 regarding the new law mandating power companies to service marginal neighborhoods regardless of payment.

The Spanish newspapers specify the decree being pertinent to "global and indiscriminate" power interruptions. Meaning, if there are 30% payers and 70% non payers in a barrio, power companies are not allowed to blackout the entire circuit of the barrio for non payment. Which makes perfect sense as far as I am concerned. It would be unfair to the 30% paying citizens. Why should I be denied of a service I am paying for simply because my neighbor didn?t pay for his?

The so-called financial blackouts are practiced by power companies when they loose money globally in a neighborhood due to large percentage of non payers, and it has nothing to do with blackouts caused by technical problems or lack of electrical generation.

D

DR1

Your interepretation of the Spanish newspapers is correct. There is no difference between your interpretation and the version DR1 published yesterday. Financial blackouts are outlawed by the government. Your use of words makes the matter clearer. Thank you.

O

Onofre

What He said was that the suppliers couldn't just turn the lights off on a WHOLE neighborhood. I'm sure those that don't pay in that neighborhood will have their lights turned off without problems from the government.