Inheritance and House Sale

Rmantingh

Jul 7, 2012
Hello,
Could someone help me with some advise about an inheritance? My father lived in the Dominican Republic and had a house there. He recently died and we need help with selling the house. He had a girlfriend there with whom he lived together in that house. They were together for several years however they were not married. To buy the house my father borrowed money from his sister (my aunt) and this needs to be repaid. We have the deeds to the house but we were told that the girlfriend may get the house anyway if she lived for long enough together with my father. Is that true? Do we as his children not have first right to the house? Could someone please advise what we should do next or who can help us? Many thanks, Ruud Mantingh (living in Priddy, UK).

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Get a well known lawyer like the ones recommended on this board ASAP for help, you could loose it all if you don't act quickly.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Agree contact a lawyer quickly or else this home will belong to his girlfriend if not to remove her from there will be a major hassle.......sorry for your loss.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that you may be advised that since there was a public and monogamous relation, that woman might be considered his partner and therefore entitled to 1/2 of what is here. The kids get the other half.

But check with a lawyer.

HB

Rmantingh

Jul 7, 2012
Thank you all for your prompt replies.
I will look further into getting a lawyer as soon as possible.