Best things to see in DR

em109

May 31, 2012
Ill be in SD for 3 weeks, what are some must sees of DR, maybe some places that tourists dont know about?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The ploughing of the fields around Jarabacoa using bullocks, or maybe even ox (not sure on that, big feckers anyway). How it was to pass the day on my balcony watching the men work the beasts on the fields, takes you back in time, vision turns to black n white, romantic.
Spend a night at a ranch in campo, take the horses out, trekking into the evening away from it all is wonderful, again, takes you to another place.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Chances are tourists don't know much about A good ole cane field thrashing by some of el Jefe's boyz in 1958...take a peek into the Dominican Resistance Memorial Museum in the Zona. Tell me what you think. It still amazes me US schools do not teach about the dictatorship of Trujillo...he was a world class peach...and so close to home!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Ill be in SD for 3 weeks, what are some must sees of DR, maybe some places that tourists dont know about?

Take a trip to the Botanical Gardens and the National Zoo. They are adjoining but take a separate day at each and don't rush through. At the Zoo, make sure to take the extra little walk uphill to see the Childrens' Zoo. It's the best part. You can bring home pictures of yourself with a Parrot or Cockatiel on your shoulder or holding a Boa Constrictor.

The National Aquarium is another great place to spend an afternoon. All the Colonial Zone is obvious so you won't need any help with that. A club hop up Ave Venezuela (depending on your age and afinity) is also interesting. Santo Domingo is a big city, about the size of Philadelphia so you won't run out of things to see. Check out the malls and major shopping centers as well.

(Smith & Wesson, indeed.....jeez!)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Where are these cock fights? Any names or address of some of these coliseums?

Unfortunately the majority of cock fighting takes place in the street, same as the dog fighting. Young men/ boys putting their animals against each other You'll probably need an introduction to find out the low down on the big events, but there is one in San Pedro, I couldn't tell you anything at all about schedules etc other than they're every other sunday, like I say, you'll probably be better off getting an invite off someone in the know. The comlmado boys are the best bet for info on this kind of thing.

Dec 26, 2011
Take a trip to the Botanical Gardens and the National Zoo. They are adjoining but take a separate day at each and don't rush through. At the Zoo, make sure to take the extra little walk uphill to see the Childrens' Zoo. It's the best part. You can bring home pictures of yourself with a Parrot or Cockatiel on your shoulder or holding a Boa Constrictor.

The National Aquarium is another great place to spend an afternoon. All the Colonial Zone is obvious so you won't need any help with that. A club hop up Ave Venezuela (depending on your age and afinity) is also interesting. Santo Domingo is a big city, about the size of Philadelphia so you won't run out of things to see. Check out the malls and major shopping centers as well.

(Smith & Wesson, indeed.....jeez!)

I love the Botanical Gardens and the Aquarium, but my last visit to the zoo was very disappointing(2 years ago). Maybe they've improved it since? Or maybe I didn't see the right stuff. It felt unkempt, lots of animals missing from their designated areas, the ones that I did see weren't doing so well, etc. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.

Los Tres Ojos is cool too, erm.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I love the Botanical Gardens and the Aquarium, but my last visit to the zoo was very disappointing(2 years ago). Maybe they've improved it since? Or maybe I didn't see the right stuff. It felt unkempt, lots of animals missing from their designated areas, the ones that I did see weren't doing so well, etc. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.

Los Tres Ojos is cool too, erm.

I've heard about Los Tres Ojos,that will be one of the places I intend to go and see.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I wouldn't recommend the zoo to someone coming from a first world country as they'll probably be quite disappointed, but it's decent by Dominican standards. The botanical gardens are nice if you're into plants, flowers, etc...

Cock fighting would be different I'm sure, but unless you really are into that "sport" I wouldn't dedicate more than a couple of hours to it. There are cock fighting rings in almost every town and coliseums in certain larger towns as mentioned above. Be aware that just like playing poker if you don't know anything about how things work the serious players who are betting real big time money wouldn't want a "green" person seating next to them asking questions and disturbing their concentration. It doesn't mean you shouldn't go, but I would go with a Dominican who could ascertain these things or keep myself just to watching the fights...

It all depends on what kinds of things you enjoy of course and if you know Spanish. Taking a dinner at Plaza de Espana is always a good bet for a tourist. if you're a fan of music go to a Bachata / Merengue, etc...concert or party (There are always some going on) and Visit Avenida Venezuela on a weekend to see how real (lower to middle class) Dominicans party it up. Visit "El Conuco" restaurant (a little touristy, but a little different experience). Take day or two day's trips outside the Capital to places like Jarabacoa and see the waterfalls, Bani and visit the dunes, Cotui and visit Hatillo Lake, etc...go to some river's "balneario" (i.e. Masipedro in Bonao, La Confluencia in Jarabacoa, la Toma in San cristobal) and spend the day eating, drinking, bathing in the rivers.

Beaches up the wazoo of course all over the country...but not in Santo Domingo...go to Las Terrenas and spend the day on one of its wonderful beaches. Eat lunch and/or dinner at one of the many restaurants by the seaside. You can also visit one of the other many beaches around the area including "Playa Rincon" - At one point rated one of the top beaches in the world. If you feel a little bit more adventurous hike up to "El Limon" waterfalls...

If you're into history The Colonial Zone is choke full of historical placest to begin with (There are many small museums around that area), but you can also visit "El Faro a Colon" where supposedly Christopher Columbus is buried, The museum of the Dominican man, or the museum of natural history, etc...

Go east to Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Guayacanes or Bayahibe...take your pick depending on whether you want a large beach or smaller more intimate one.

Visit one of our national parks (i.e. Los Haitises).

If you want different go to a "Carwash"...not the kind you're used to...

em109

May 31, 2012
thanks! this was really helpful, i dont speak a lot of spanish but i will be studying when i am in the city. is it hard to get to other towns to see these sites from SD?
I wouldn't recommend the zoo to someone coming from a first world country as they'll probably be quite disappointed, but it's decent by Dominican standards. The botanical gardens are nice if you're into plants, flowers, etc...

Cock fighting would be different I'm sure, but unless you really are into that "sport" I wouldn't dedicate more than a couple of hours to it. There are cock fighting rings in almost every town and coliseums in certain larger towns as mentioned above. Be aware that just like playing poker if you don't know anything about how things work the serious players who are betting real big time money wouldn't want a "green" person seating next to them asking questions and disturbing their concentration. It doesn't mean you shouldn't go, but I would go with a Dominican who could ascertain these things or keep myself just to watching the fights...

It all depends on what kinds of things you enjoy of course and if you know Spanish. Taking a dinner at Plaza de Espana is always a good bet for a tourist. if you're a fan of music go to a Bachata / Merengue, etc...concert or party (There are always some going on) and Visit Avenida Venezuela on a weekend to see how real (lower to middle class) Dominicans party it up. Visit "El Conuco" restaurant (a little touristy, but a little different experience). Take day or two day's trips outside the Capital to places like Jarabacoa and see the waterfalls, Bani and visit the dunes, Cotui and visit Hatillo Lake, etc...go to some river's "balneario" (i.e. Masipedro in Bonao, La Confluencia in Jarabacoa, la Toma in San cristobal) and spend the day eating, drinking, bathing in the rivers.

Beaches up the wazoo of course all over the country...but not in Santo Domingo...go to Las Terrenas and spend the day on one of its wonderful beaches. Eat lunch and/or dinner at one of the many restaurants by the seaside. You can also visit one of the other many beaches around the area including "Playa Rincon" - At one point rated one of the top beaches in the world. If you feel a little bit more adventurous hike up to "El Limon" waterfalls...

If you're into history The Colonial Zone is choke full of historical placest to begin with (There are many small museums around that area), but you can also visit "El Faro a Colon" where supposedly Christopher Columbus is buried, The museum of the Dominican man, or the museum of natural history, etc...

Go east to Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Guayacanes or Bayahibe...take your pick depending on whether you want a large beach or smaller more intimate one.

Visit one of our national parks (i.e. Los Haitises).

If you want different go to a "Carwash"...not the kind you're used to...

Aug 19, 2004
If you are interested in art try the museum of Modern Art off Maximo Gomez + even better the Museo Bellaparte above the Honda dealership on Avenida John F. Kennedy esquina Dr. Lembert Peguero, Santo Domingo. Sort of thing that should be relocated to the Zona Colonial.

In addition Robert Salecedo recommends the "National District Fire Station" as part of his proposed tourist route!

Get there before the crowds arrive!