Deportation Of North Coast Haitians

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]In recent weeks, hundreds undocumented Haitians have been arrested and deported by bus.[/h][h=5]The illegal immigrants were arrested in Puerto Plata, Santiago, Sos?a and Cabarete and then, guarded by soldiers, brought to Dajab?n in a secure bus and sent across the border. The head of the immigration service now has a van permanently available so that illegal Haitian immigrants can be deported faster. But the head of immigration knows too that many illegal immigrants will arrive again after a few days in Sos?a and Puerto Plata. The situation in Haiti is for many hopeless[/h]

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Yeah, I got this tweet today. I wonder if Danilo and the local authorities will be more diligent now.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Like they do not get back on the bus and return that night. The border is porous.
To do that repeatedly would be beyond the financial means of most Haitians. The going rate is 4000 to 6000 pesos to bribe your way in, plus transport costs, so a concerted and prolonged campaign would have quite an effect.

Difficult balancing act for the police/military. Stepping up deportations will, as you say, increase their income from re-entry bribes, but if they crack down too hard and too long, the market will dry up completely.

The only humane and cost-effective solution is to generate more jobs in Haiti. Although the bulk of the $billions of aid poured in has been embezzled by Haitian, Dominican and foreign swindlers, there are some signs that jobs are now being created. A few Haitians I know who have been here for years have returned home to half-decent jobs.

Dec 26, 2011
As long as there are Dominicans that believe that certain jobs are for Haitians(cutting cane and construction labor) there will be "illegal" Haitians doing those jobs. Documented Haitians will charge more for the same work. Then some Dominicans and some "legal" Haitian residents will believe that certain jobs are for undocumented Haitians. Enforce the laws against the exploiter and not the exploited.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One of the most difficult situations is for Haitian passport holders born in the DR to Haitian parents. One who I know has tried unsuccessfully to "legalise" her status here over the years. She was arrested when she was in Santiago last week and deported. She knows nobody in Haiti and of course a family member who has a DR cedula went and "rescued" her and she was back with her family within 24 hours.