San Jose Afuera

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
Hi Friends,
On my visit to DR (PP) in May, I met some friends that are mostly from the area of San Jose Afuera. I plan on returning to DR to visit with them at the end of August. We will mostly be staying at the PP resort, but will also be visiting at their home a little bit. I've been talking with them through phone, Facebook, etc. so I've been learning some through them. However, I'm big into researching things to enhance my experience, knowledge, etc., so I've been trying to research about that area. There is virtually NOTHING. I found about 4 pictures, and a couple of youtube videos. Does anyone here have direct experience with that area? What is it like? Any stories, tips, suggestions, advice? Also, I can speak/read Spanish so if you find a good Spanish website with info, then please send it my way. My understanding is that it's a pretty rural area, but I've only heard nice things about the people. Of course, I'm talking to people mostly from the area. Thanks in advance.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi Friends,
On my visit to DR (PP) in May, I met some friends that are mostly from the area of San Jose Afuera. I plan on returning to DR to visit with them at the end of August. We will mostly be staying at the PP resort, but will also be visiting at their home a little bit. I've been talking with them through phone, Facebook, etc. so I've been learning some through them. However, I'm big into researching things to enhance my experience, knowledge, etc., so I've been trying to research about that area. There is virtually NOTHING. I found about 4 pictures, and a couple of youtube videos. Does anyone here have direct experience with that area? What is it like? Any stories, tips, suggestions, advice? Also, I can speak/read Spanish so if you find a good Spanish website with info, then please send it my way. My understanding is that it's a pretty rural area, but I've only heard nice things about the people. Of course, I'm talking to people mostly from the area. Thanks in advance.

San Jose, as far as I know, is the area where the Mirabal Sisters' Museum is. It's a rural area that belongs to the Mirabal Sisters Province. It's a beautiful area with lots of mountains and beautiful vegetation. Just to make sure, ask your friends which province they are in so you could do a better research and make the most out of your trip.

Let me know and I'll be glad to tell you more about it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
San Jos? Las Matas in Santiago Province or some other San Jos? like San Jos? Los Llanos in San Pedro de Macor?s?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep there are many San Jose's and Afuera just means "outside" or the area just outside a town named San Jose...

Dec 26, 2011
Yep there are many San Jose's and Afuera just means "outside" or the area just outside a town named San Jose...

It appears to be a barrio of Baitoa.

About 15 km SSE of Santiago.

Accessible from La Carretera La Torre- Los Peladeros.

Last edited:

Michelle Clayton

Jul 10, 2012
Pollogringo has the right San Jose Afuera (that's what they call it) de Baitoa, on the border of the Santiago & Vega Provinces I believe. What you posted is about all I found - the youtube videos. My friend is actually in video 2:cheeky:. So has anyone been there? My guess is it's more rural so that's why there is so little about it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is a typical rural area with lots of nice people, not a lot of monied people (but there are people with lots of $$-sources???-, few "services" and plenty of money coming in from remittances from New York (Queens, mostly) That area is rich in agriculture.

You might enjoy a day or two there.

HB