Haiti Should Beg Forgiveness For Occupying DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see no reason that a country has to apologize for what happened generations ago. People need to move on.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The guy is a dick. He is buying brownie points to secure himself over recent changes. Over the last 3 months Haitians have been leaving La Caleta in really high numbers. For years everyone has got along well together, but something has switched in recent months. There are virtually no moto concho Haitians about now, been driven out after being easy targets.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I see no reason that a country has to apologize for what happened generations ago. People need to move on.

I agree.Just like the Haitians need to forget about the Parsley Massacre during the Trujillo Era and both countries
move on.The present day people have absolutely nothing to do with what occurred years ago.Let by gones be by gones.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
All that SH*T Haitians have been through, they PAID that debt and then some. Haiti does not own NOBODY SH*T. Dominicans treat Haitians like they are not even humans, now this so called priest want them to ask apologize for something that happen back when Haitians thought they were doing the right thing. Haitians were not the only ones invading countries back then EVERYBODY was doing it.

Haiti may not have a lot but they always had their INDEPENDENCE. In 2012 the Dominican Republic is STILL under the SPANISH CROWN they just think their independent.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Haiti may not have a lot but they always had their INDEPENDENCE. In 2012 the Dominican Republic is STILL under the SPANISH CROWN they just think their independent.

On January 1, 1804, Haiti, located in the West Indies, made history by being the first Black Country to gain its independence.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
On January 1, 1804, Haiti, located in the West Indies, made history by being the first Black Country to gain its independence.

I know when Haiti had their Independence I was making a point when I used the word "always". If you go back you will see it is not that many countries that fought for their independence as early as Haiti in the americas. I think maybe ONE that beat Haiti and that is the GREAT country of the USA in 1776.

I minored in History in school I know when countries had their independence, but thanks.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Tell any White American they should beg forgiveness to black Americans for slavery. See what response you'll get.

Tell any American to beg forgiveness to Colombia for ruining and decimating their farmland after it's been sprayed with that crap they use to eradicate coca crops, making it impossible for anything else to grow on the land. An idea so brilliant it hasn't curbed narco-trafficking or the supply of cocaine one bit since this particular policy of Plan Colombia was instituted. See what response you'll get.

Better yet, tell any American to beg forgiveness to the average Iraqi for the destruction of their middle class, leaving a whole nation bereft of their best and brightest, who were either forced from their country due to the extreme violence or were outright murdered-doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, etc.

See what response you'll get.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The above post is meant to illustrate the ridiculousness of the priest's position, not to cause any off-topic virtual fist fighting.

If people don't feel the need to apologize for foreign policy decisions made by their country while it's happening, why would anyone apologize for something that occurred 170 years ago?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with the poster who suggested that the guy was trying in a really blatant manner to earn points.

The period from 1795 to 1809 or even 1815 is a shambles on this island. Detailed accounts seem to indicate that in 1804, the new Republic of Haiti did have a claim to the eastern part of the island, since the French owned the whole island. However, given internal issues in Haiti and the fact that a Frenchman named Ferrand had established some "French" control over what was known as Santo Domingo, it would appear that they were not interested or were not capable of establishing their claim.

When S?nchez Ram?rez defeated Ferrand in the Battle of Palo Hincado in 1808 (?) and eventually took the city of Santo Domingo in a convoluted series of events, I am always wondering if he raised the Spanish flag? I frankly do not know, but I suppose that is what he did. Spain, apparently responded with some support, although "on the books" the whole island still belonged to??? and here is where it gets interesting: France because she had not recognized the rebels in Haiti as a nation? Or Spain because she was supporting S?nchez Ram?rez? Or Haiti because they had conquered the French, declared their independence and therefore "owned" everything that the French had "owned" before the revolution. Pick one, they are all valid to some degree.

So have a good day, be well, say hello to your friends, have a cold one, a wet one, and be nice.

HB

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
All that SH*T Haitians have been through, they PAID that debt and then some. Haiti does not own NOBODY SH*T. Dominicans treat Haitians like they are not even humans, now this so called priest want them to ask apologize for something that happen back when Haitians thought they were doing the right thing. Haitians were not the only ones invading countries back then EVERYBODY was doing it.

Spoken like a true Haitian.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Hmmm Tell Americans to apologise to the native American that the stole the land from or better yet Spain should apologise to the DR for thier decimation of the Taino Indians. This is a priest saying this what happened to all that turn the other cheek and forgive your enemies ????Unfortunately this is not just his way of thinking most Dominicans feel this way.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Haiti should only apologize to the DR when the following occurs:

-The USA apologizes to African Americans for enslaving them, treating them like dirt, poking fun at them and being very rude and ignorant to them for hundreds of years.
-The USA apologizes to latinos for treating them worse than they treated Irish or Italian immigrants who came illegally also and for treating them like dirt, poking fun at them and being very rude to them. Especially the colored latinos like myself who are actually Spanish mixed with taino indian and black but in the USA the racism is so strong that anyone 1/4 black is black due to ignorance.
-The USA apologizes to the Native Americans for treating them poorly and like third class citizens.
-The Republicans apologize to the American poor and middle class for exploiting them and trying to manipulate this Romney guy into the white house.

-The British apologize to the Indians and all the countries that they occupied.
-Spain apologizes to the Dominican Republic for occupying it.
-The Portugese apologize to Brazil and Angola for occupying them also.
-The Japanese apologize to the Chinese.
-And so on.

Point is. Haiti did nothing different than many other countries around the globe. They do not have to apologize unless it is common for countries to apologize like for their actions in the past.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
This is one of those subjects that stirs emotions from all Dominicans in general. As a democratic country everyone's opinion should be allowed to be heard, but in my humble opinion, the thoughts of those truly involved, i. e. Dominicans and Haitians are the ones that should count most.

The following are lists of former Presidents and heads of states apologizing for past wrong doing to different ethnic groups or countries in general.

http://www.upenn.edu/pnc/politicalapologies.html

Deseret News Mobile

German President Asks Forgiveness As Poles Mark Uprising - Chicago Tribune

As you can all read for self, asking for apology for past wrong doing is nothing new, this is a common occurrence among heads of state and countries affected by wrong doing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I agree with the poster who suggested that the guy was trying in a really blatant manner to earn points.

The period from 1795 to 1809 or even 1815 is a shambles on this island. Detailed accounts seem to indicate that in 1804, the new Republic of Haiti did have a claim to the eastern part of the island, since the French owned the whole island. However, given internal issues in Haiti and the fact that a Frenchman named Ferrand had established some "French" control over what was known as Santo Domingo, it would appear that they were not interested or were not capable of establishing their claim.

When S?nchez Ram?rez defeated Ferrand in the Battle of Palo Hincado in 1808 (?) and eventually took the city of Santo Domingo in a convoluted series of events, I am always wondering if he raised the Spanish flag? I frankly do not know, but I suppose that is what he did. Spain, apparently responded with some support, although "on the books" the whole island still belonged to??? and here is where it gets interesting: France because she had not recognized the rebels in Haiti as a nation? Or Spain because she was supporting S?nchez Ram?rez? Or Haiti because they had conquered the French, declared their independence and therefore "owned" everything that the French had "owned" before the revolution. Pick one, they are all valid to some degree.

So have a good day, be well, say hello to your friends, have a cold one, a wet one, and be nice.

HB
"That war [Haitian Revolution] didn't spilled into Dominican territory. Dessalines and military officers didn't had the vision of Toussaint. If Toussaint would had been alive, he would had imposed the extension of the independence operations to the eastern part of the island, which also were French territory and where the French military forces were located. But despite the occupation of 1801, the chiefs of the war of 1803 didn't managed to understand the doctrine of Toussaint, for whom the island was one and indivisible. As such, Dessalines and his military officers declared on the 1st of January, 1804 the establishment of the Republic of Hait?, but didn't extended the power of the new Republic to the eastern part of the island.

The east was governed by Kerverseau, from the city of Santo Domingo and with a French force of 600 men; in Montecristi, protecting the passage to Santiago, was General Louis Ferrand, commanding 400 soldiers. Those 1,000 men would had been easily eliminated by the victorious Haitians. But they [the Haitians] didn't moved eastward. That's the situation in which the island of La Espa?ola found itself a the beginning of 1804, divided between the Republic of Hait? and the French colony of Santo Domingo."

-Pg. 175-176, Composici?n Social Dominicana by Juan Bosch

On another note, the priest was referring to the 1822-1844 invasion, not to many of the other invasions and invasion attempts before and after those years!

Lets not forget that Jos? N??ez de C?ceres declaration of independence on December of 1821, was not against France, but against Spain! The eastern part reverted back to Spain and remained a Spanish colony until December of 1821. In 1822, the Haitians, having known they had a Spanish colony as a neighbor, militarily invaded the eastern part once the Spanish military soldiers had departed, knowing very well that the new government was still in the process of forming itself and there was not official military to defend the eastern part. This was not contemplated by C?ceres et al. Had the colony never declared its independence from Spain, the Haitians would had remained exactly where they belong.

And lastly, I don't know why should it matter what the US or people in the US would be willing to do or not, this issue doesn't encompasses the US or its people. Never has and never will. However, and this is probably not surprising to many here, but I find it inherently DISGUSTING how some here want to minimize the disastrous effects Haitian incursions on the eastern side had for the development of the DR. Its DISGUSTING how some here dare, at every chance they got, try to justify the crimes the Haitians committed on the Dominican people and have, to this day, not shown the slightest desire of remorse.

The United States government did passed the Native American Apology Resolution, because that was the right thing to do!

The United States House of Representatives approved a resolution apologizing to African-Americans for slavery and the era of the Jim Crow.

The government of the Dominican government even apologized to the Haitians with reparations, for the massacre of a few thousand Haitians in 1937.

Why should Haiti not apologize for what they effectively did and heavily affected the development of the DR for over a century afterwards?

DISGUSTING!

Last edited:

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
Europe and the vatican should apologize to many countries especially keskiya. (colonial name hispanola) we have yet to get our full independence as we are dependent on europe and the u.s .. we still have not learned the culture of the tainos, history, art, music and language. so yea europe not haiti should apologize.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Europe and the vatican should apologize to many countries especially keskiya. (colonial name hispanola) we have yet to get our full independence as we are dependent on europe and the u.s .. we still have not learned the culture of the tainos, history, art, music and language. so yea europe not haiti should apologize.

I like this pretty DEEP!!!