Jarabacoa Christian School

PrincessRahab

Jul 20, 2012
Does anyone else send their kids to this school? I hope not!

I've heard so many bad things about this place. It claims to be a Christian school, but it is run by rich people that make allowances for families that have drug ties. I've also learned that many of their staff are under-qualified for their positions, and that there's quite a bit of disogranization and personal issues amongst them.

Does anyone know of another Christian school in the area?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Private schools in the DR are for profit businesses, its not like the US. It is very difficult to recruit staff that speak English and are certified and experienced teachers. Often they take what they can get. Many of the schools have personal issues among the faculty and often the faculty are only on staff for one year before they move on to another country. I am not apologizing or making excuses for this particular school of which I have no knowledge whatsoever but I am experienced in teaching in Dominican private schools. What one "hears" from other people may or may not be true. Look for yourself, talk to the teachers. Do not listen to gossip. Talk to other parents. Then judge. "Poor people" do not attend private schools in the DR. Rich people do. If you want to have your kids go to a poor peoples school there are lots of public schools that will fit the bill. Good luck to you and your children. And lastly- often in the DR you are forced to take what you can get. This is not the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I've heard so many bad things about this place. It claims to be a Christian school, but it is run by rich people that make allowances for families that have drug ties. I've also learned that many of their staff are under-qualified for their positions, and that there's quite a bit of disogranization and personal issues amongst them.

You have Doulos Discovery just down the road and then you have the Catholic school(they are christians as well). JCS is sponsored by churches in the USA, and the teachers are mainly Americans. Some are highly qualified teachers and others are University students. All are missionaries. They certainly may come from rich families but the school owners are not rich. g ties, their children deserve an education as well. I wouldn't send my children there because I don't belive in their teaching, nor Doulos's but Doulos is a good teaching evironment ( although seriously wacho religious beliefs)

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Isn't this the school where parents send their kids to "take the gay out of them"? Or am I thinking of another Christian School in Jarabacoa?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bOR77tWVxKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Pure 100% unadulterated baloney.

I know that school well personally. We lived right across the street for over a year and have had many, many friends, past and present, as teachers, managers and Board Members there.

I have an employee who has two kids in JCS. He's very happy with the quality of education.

I don't know where you got your info but it's bullspit.

PrincessRahab

Jul 20, 2012
I learned it from some of the teachers that worked there. They told me that most of the Board Members have little or no educational training, that no one in the office has anything above a bachelor's degree, and that, in the past, they've simply hired whoever they could get- people that didn't even have educational degrees.

They also said that the administrator they had this past year was the worst one yet. Apparently, he had little experience, as well, and was constantly threatening the teachers. But it scared me more when they said that the administration has changed hands just about every years the school's been open. That makes me nervous.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I learned it from some of the teachers that worked there. They told me that most of the Board Members have little or no educational training, that no one in the office has anything above a bachelor's degree, and that, in the past, they've simply hired whoever they could get- people that didn't even have educational degrees.

They also said that the administrator they had this past year was the worst one yet. Apparently, he had little experience, as well, and was constantly threatening the teachers. But it scared me more when they said that the administration has changed hands just about every years the school's been open. That makes me nervous.

Are you talking about some of the Dominican teachers. They are hired on a contract basis and often replaced every year or let go if they under-perform, perhaps you are just listening to Dominican gossip. All the private schools in Jarabacoa belong to an association and must meet together with the school district every month. There are no secrets about what goes on in any school in Jarabacoa. What are you looking for in a school? Is it the Bi-lingual aspect of the school you like, or the religious instruction?
My wife and I just looked at the board of directors and she know everyone but the Ameerican. One of the Dominicans is a teacher, and two are lawyers. One, Taty Hernandez, is a noted poet with a very good education.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not out of the ordinary

(...) most of the Board Members have little or no educational training, that no one in the office has anything above a bachelor's degree, and that, in the past, they've simply hired whoever they could get- people that didn't even have educational degrees.
(...) But it scared me more when they said that the administration has changed hands just about every years the school's been open.

Sounds like a typical Dominican private school... (or business rather).
I guess about 90% are "organized" like that.

How long have you been in the country?

donP

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

You're being snookered listening to gossip from kids who have no working basis of how to judge an administrator.

This ain't the US edumacational system. If I had kids they'd go to JCS. I've lived here over 4 years and know that school very well.

MOST private schools here hire anyone they can because they can't pay squat.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Unfortunately you are right in your assumptions.

We know a number of teachers very well, and according to them there are only 2 accredited teachers there. They have no curriculum to follow, so they teach pretty much what they want or know. And they did complain about the new administrator, who according to them was useless, and received a huge salary in comparison to the the accredited teachers (the admin received 60,000 rds per month for a couple of half days a week, where they received 11,000 rds per month for a full week, and on top of that week they had to give private lessons for free). And as one of the teachers discovered the benefits they were supposed to have, proved to be worthless as well.

If I had kids and they had to go to a school there I would send them to the Jesuits.

BelgianK

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Unfortunately you are right in your assumptions.

We know a number of teachers very well, and according to them there are only 2 accredited teachers there. They have no curriculum to follow, so they teach pretty much what they want or know. And they did complain about the new administrator, who according to them was useless, and received a huge salary in comparison to the the accredited teachers (the admin received 60,000 rds per month for a couple of half days a week, where they received 11,000 rds per month for a full week, and on top of that week they had to give private lessons for free). And as one of the teachers discovered the benefits they were supposed to have, proved to be worthless as well.

If I had kids and they had to go to a school there I would send them to the Jesuits.

BelgianK

All the American teachers are volunteers that have to pay their own way or their church or family pays for their stay. They know they will receive little compensation from the school. As voluteers they would be expected give free lessons. There are no Jesuits in Jarabacoa; there are Salesianos.
As far as not following the currriculum, the School District administrator has her eye on them, and will shut them down if she thinks they are out of control.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
All the American teachers are volunteers that have to pay their own way or their church or family pays for their stay. They know they will receive little compensation from the school. As voluteers they would be expected give free lessons. There are no Jesuits in Jarabacoa; there are Salesianos.
As far as not following the currriculum, the School District administrator has her eye on them, and will shut them down if she thinks they are out of control.

Just so I understand that I have this right.
This is a PRIVATE school where parents PAY for their children to go but yet the American teachers work on a volunteer basis and the Administrator makes 60,000rd?

Just checking

SHALENA

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This is a PRIVATE school where parents PAY for their children to go but yet the American teachers work on a volunteer basis and the Administrator makes 60,000rd?

Just checking

SHALENA

Right, and 95% of the American teachers do not have a diploma to teach, so, in fact, the diploma is pretty worthless in my opinion.

Bob, I was always told they were Jesuits, but I stand corrected. I still think it is the best school in Jarabacoa though.

BelgianK

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Just checking

SHALENA

On top of that they are registered as a charity and pay no income tax.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you want bi-lingual (English) education in Jarabacoa, you're limited to two choices: JCS and Doulous.

Both are "Christian" taught be young evangelists.

Doulous is much more expensive.

Neither are staffed with 100% accredited teachers, both accept young missionary types as teachers. Neither requires teaching experience, both require a statement that JC is their savior.

There is a difference in pay between the schools, Doulous is higher. BUT Doulous requires potential teachers to bring a large donation to the school, tens of thousands of $$$ as a condition of employment...and their higher salary comes from that. There is no such requirement @ JCS.

As I stated before I count a number of directors of the school as personal friends. There is much misinformation in this thread.

I would suggest that you contact the school itself and have a sit-down with the administrator. Interview teachers.

PM me and I'll arrange communication with an actual board member.

Stop listening to rumors! Get the FACTS first-hand for yourself!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Right, and 95% of the American teachers do not have a diploma to teach, so, in fact, the diploma is pretty worthless in my opinion.

Bob, I was always told they were Jesuits, but I stand corrected. I still think it is the best school in Jarabacoa though.

BelgianK

Well it certainly has the advantage of government support while paying no income tax or property taxes. It has a good sports program but does some practises that I find morally incompatable with a religious organization. I'll keep those myself though. Yris is life-long friends with the head priest, Victor Picardo and his family, as well a number of her former teachers now work their. After Yris trains them, they like to employ them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you want bi-lingual (English) education in Jarabacoa, you're limited to two choices: JCS and Doulous.

Both are "Christian" taught be young evangelists.

Doulous is much more expensive.

Neither are staffed with 100% accredited teachers, both accept young missionary types as teachers. Neither requires teaching experience, both require a statement that JC is their savior.

There is a difference in pay between the schools, Doulous is higher. BUT Doulous requires potential teachers to bring a large donation to the school, tens of thousands of $$$ as a condition of employment...and their higher salary comes from that. There is no such requirement @ JCS.

As I stated before I count a number of directors of the school as personal friends. There is much misinformation in this thread.

I would suggest that you contact the school itself and have a sit-down with the administrator. Interview teachers.

PM me and I'll arrange communication with an actual board member.

Stop listening to rumors! Get the FACTS first-hand for yourself!

Good post- go to the source, but I am correct about the School district keeping a close eye on them. They are concerned about their deviation from the curriculum.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
....and you guys don't think that frequent changes of Administrators is a warning sign? I'm just asking.

SHALENA

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The few expats I know that have kids in school in Jarabacoa have moved their kids around a little. The main concerns are religious teachings being thrust down their throats in a rather aggressive manner. Jarabacoa has more than its fair share of religious nuts, and it doesn't stop at the school gates apparently.
I think as mentioned, you need to go and suss it out for yourself, what is good for one is not always good for others.