Buying a Hybrid Vehicle

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
To all the car savvy individuals on the board, I have a question:

I have a my eyes set on a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid being sold in Santo Domingo. Fortunately, everything checks out on Carfax.com.

My only concern is buying a Hybrid vehicle and then needing parts that may not be available in the DR. I'm not even sure if this will be a problem but I was hoping someone who knew more about cars than I, could give me suggestions.

Thanks!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I would not do it. Its not just the parts as a possible problem. Who is going to work on it when it needs repair or a diagnosis when it has a problem. Why buy it? It could turn into a disaster.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The general rule of thumb here is to keep it VERY simple.

If you live in SD and are confident the Ford dealer can service it, it may be worth the risk.
It will be out of warranty, so any problems will be all yours.

If you plan to take it far from a Ford dealer, Zoomer is right - service will be a problem.

To get your money's worth out of a hybrid, you really need to be a high miles driver.
On an island, this generally is not the rule.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The general rule of thumb here is to keep it VERY simple.

If you live in SD and are confident the Ford dealer can service it, it may be worth the risk.
It will be out of warranty, so any problems will be all yours.

If you plan to take it far from a Ford dealer, Zoomer is right - service will be a problem.

To get your money's worth out of a hybrid, you really need to be a high miles driver.
On an island, this generally is not the rule.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Let's look at another point. The batteries in hybrids are known to have a replacement cost of approx $8,000-12,000 USD. So riddle me this...how much usable life will you have left before you have to shell out $$ to replace that battery? A 2006 hybrid is about 6 years old....just saying ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a hybrid toyota highlander. i have always been suspicious of it because it does not make a sound :)
cheap to run, cheaper to insure than our previous standard highlander. has enough oopmf to overtake anything - in response to the question above.
miesposo gives good maintenance to his cars so there are no major problems. some parts we buy on the internet. like an air filter: 2.300 pesos in POP, 14 bucks on ebay.
i have no complains about the car and the performance but i was not happy when miesposo got it, it was such a gringo choice! ;)

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
To all the car savvy individuals on the board, I have a question:

I have a my eyes set on a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid being sold in Santo Domingo. Fortunately, everything checks out on Carfax.com.

My only concern is buying a Hybrid vehicle and then needing parts that may not be available in the DR. I'm not even sure if this will be a problem but I was hoping someone who knew more about cars than I, could give me suggestions.

Thanks!

Mention the word "HYBRID" to a Dominican Mechanic and 9 out of 10 will not know what language you are speaking. Two options: Go to the Ford dealership and ask if they have Mechanics familiar with HYBRID models and if they stock parts. That would be your only option for repairs and parts. Option two: buy any brand vehicle and install LPG or even better Natural Gas system. It will save you some money in fuel but of course not like a Hybrid. Also ask the dealer if the previous owner did any repairs and who he/she used who might be familiar with the car.