Can you get divorced in the DR if you married in the UK?

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I have a legal question that I am posting on behalf of a friend.

My friend and her husband married in the UK a few years back (he came to UK on a Fiancee visa valid for 6 mths in which time they got married). Is it possible for her husband to go to the DR to get a divorce without her knowing?

I know that you can get a divorce in the DR without the signature of your spouse if you say you don't know where they live, you have no contact info and a notice is placed in the newspaper for a certain amount of time before the divorce is issued - however, can you still do this is you were married in the UK and not in DR?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You can get a quick divorce in the DR no matter where the marriage took but both parties need to be in agreement. Where is this guy living, UK or the DR?

Saying he has no idea where the spouse is would be fraud no?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He can claim "Abandonment" by his wife.
Post "warnings" in Dominican news papers,(That she will not see annd not respond to)
Then a Dominican judge can decide.
I was married in Thailand,divorced in the DR,and remarried in the DR :(
Countries recognise eachother legal marriages and divorces.
That said,this IS the DR!
I know an American that was married to 3 Dominicanas at the same time.
he's dead now,but he claims it was worth it.
I'll go with DEAD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
You can get a quick divorce in the DR no matter where the marriage took but both parties need to be in agreement. Where is this guy living, UK or the DR?

Saying he has no idea where the spouse is would be fraud no?

He is living in the UK.

Yes it would be fraud but how would you prove it?

I know someone who went down the route of getting a divorce whereby they said that they didn't know where the person was living anymore (which was the truth) and like Criss says, they advertise it in the paper. Just wondering - this paper, I guess it's a specific paper? If the wife happened to have someone check this paper and they saw the advert - who do they contact to report it? Does anyone know how it works?

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
La firma es facil.

Is it possible for her husband to go to the DR to get a divorce without her knowing?

I have seen very recent documents with signatures of people who died before "recently".... :cross-eye
So, it seems, there are ways. :pirate:
Such a signature could probably be contested, but where and at what cost?

BTW, this sounds as the woman does not want the divorce?
Hmm, most would be happy to get rid of their Dominican* husband. :bunny:

Are you the one to marry him then? :confused:

donP

*)
Assuming he is Dominican.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I have seen very recent documents with signatures of people who died before "recently".... :cross-eye
So, it seems, there are ways. :pirate:
Such a signature could probably be contested, but where and at what cost?

BTW, this sounds as the woman does not want the divorce?
Hmm, most would be happy to get rid of their Dominican* husband. :bunny:

Are you the one to marry him then? :confused:

donP

*)
Assuming he is Dominican.

No, it's not me, I am not married!

I am asking on behalf of a friend who is married to a Dominican and yes, you are right, she doesn't want a divorce. She has reason to believe that he is going to visit the DR in order to get one without her knowing and wanted to know whether this was possible, given that they were married in the UK.

I thought it was possible and even if she did find out about it, like you say, it would probably be be very costly to contest.

Is it just one newspaper that publishes such notices?