Open a Pica Pollo

JeiJei

Jan 12, 2012
Hello
I have been living in Santiago for 9 months, I am sure that some of you have been living here longer than me. Based on your experience in this country, do you think it is a good idea to open a PICA POLLO here?

I am thinking on opening one even though I have not experience. The thing is jobs here if any don?t pay much so I thought I will be better off opening a business.

What do you think about opening a Pica Pollo?

What business do you think will work better?

Thank you

Jei.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you should open a clothes shop or salon for your girlfriend, maybe a bar on the beach.

My advice, leave the Pico Pollo's to the Chinese, they own this business in the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Birds + 'viveres'

What do you think about opening a Pica Pollo?

In LT there is a Swiss guy who has "Pollo Suizo" and has been in business quite a while in spite of heavy competition.
His place has a few tables and of course, he also offers 'viveres' to go with the birds. His wife is Dominican, which certainly helps.
So, it is doable, although Santiago may be much different.

donP

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
For a minute there,I thought this post was in the clown bin.I had to read the few replies to convince
myself it wasn't.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Based on your experience in this country, do you think it is a good idea to open a PICA POLLO here? Probably not, but horses for courses, it could be perfect for you.

I am thinking on opening one even though I have not experience. The thing is jobs here if any don?t pay much so I thought I will be better off opening a business. Opening any old business is not a solution to this problem, you could end up out of pocket rather than earning the little that might be available working for someone else. It is my guess that if you have the money to invest then you probably have that money to sit on, in the city keeping yourself busy is what is important, so you are not just spend spend spend. Life is boring if you don't have a job to do. So take a low paid job, earn anything rather than spend, the chances of making a decent living out of the DR are very small without significant investment, and I don't mean a pica pollo. Do as the huge majority do and earn your money elsewhere, and spend it in DR.

What do you think about opening a Pica Pollo? Hardly stretching the concept of originality, but chances are you'd tick over slightly, struggle and get zero satisfaction from it.

What business do you think will work better? Depends what area you know, it isn't exactly known to be forgiving when it comes to investments, and more so to investors who don't know their arse from those elbow. Think what you can offer, then think of a new concept and approach, because for sure, if it works in DR, it is already being done.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are plenty of pica pollos here in Santiago and only very few are run by Chinese. I think one run like Olas Pollo on Carr. Don Pedro would do well. They have good business everyday and are packed on the weekends. Their signature food is roasted chicken with casabe but have the bandera as well. The food is very good and the prices are cheap and this is where the normal jose's go.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There are plenty of pica pollos here in Santiago and only very few are run by Chinese. I think one run like Olas Pollo on Carr. Don Pedro would do well. They have good business everyday and are packed on the weekends. Their signature food is roasted chicken with casabe but have the bandera as well. The food is very good and the prices are cheap and this is where the normal jose's go.

I suggest you go talk to the owner and find out what his secret is, it ain't the Chicken, that's for sure!
I'm guessing they have been around a long time, own the store and have minimal overheads.

I have a friend that has a US$3-4 million monthly sales turnover business here, he's Dominican and knows how "things roll". He decided to diversify and get into the liquor store business like "Drinks2Go". On paper from the outside it looked like a no brainer. He lasted 6 months, lost plenty of cash and learn't a few things about his country folk and how deep the corruption and payoffs really go.

If you're looking to start a business in the DR, go find someone that is already successful and invite them out to dinner and a few drinks at a decent restaurant. You will learn more in 2-3hrs than you ever could from a public message board, as 95% of the posters here do not own or run a business in the DR.

lucas08

Sep 6, 2005
Chinese pica pollo owners knows being a foreigner in this business is quite dangerous. Pica Pollo is a Cash business so they always know your business have cash to rob. Many of the Chinese people working in the pica pollo are a far cousin or someone from their town back in China. They pay for them to get out of china but need to work for them. The owners will not risk their life running the pica pollo. If you dont think you will be a target then pica pollo is not a bad business to do. I think there isnt any pica pollo that delivers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I suggest you go talk to the owner and find out what his secret is, it ain't the Chicken, that's for sure!
I'm guessing they have been around a long time, own the store and have minimal overheads.

I have a friend that has a US$3-4 million monthly sales turnover business here, he's Dominican and knows how "things roll". He decided to diversify and get into the liquor store business like "Drinks2Go". On paper from the outside it looked like a no brainer. He lasted 6 months, lost plenty of cash and learn't a few things about his country folk and how deep the corruption and payoffs really go.

If you're looking to start a business in the DR, go find someone that is already successful and invite them out to dinner and a few drinks at a decent restaurant. You will learn more in 2-3hrs than you ever could from a public message board, as 95% of the posters here do not own or run a business in the DR.

I think it's obvious for anyone who has run a business, like myself, that one needs to have a realistic business plan instead of just spending money and hoping it works out. With regard to Olas Pollo, they are well known on our side of town and are considered to be by many to be the best chicken maybe only second to Provocon. A whole roasted chicken with casabe is RD220. A plate of food with fresh salad is RD120. Not only that they don't mark up their beverages have music and a TV. It's no wonder they get slammed frequently.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
if you listen to 1 thing whoever is about to lose some money LISTEN TO WHAT ROBERT. SAID READ IT AND DO IT. NOTHING ELSE . LIKE ATTRACTS LIKE. GOOD SUCCESS ATTRACTS SUCCESS. FOLLOW IT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great advice from Robert. Personally coming to the DR to open a Pica Pollo seems tantamount to going to NY City to open a pizza place. It is possible to make it work, but why take such a chance? I do not advise anyone to come here if they need to make a living.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'll stick with Kentucky Fried chicken.So far, I haven't been disappointed.They make some crispy,juicy chicken.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Has anyone ever had delicious pica pollo? It is desperate 'can't be arsed to feed myself properly, let's risk it' food, let's not kid ourselves here.
No one ever took a date or a business meeting to a pica pollo, so I doubt much dedication, research and consideration goes into any recipe.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I will never ever forget the one and only time I tried to eat pica pollo. Bit into a piece and it was raw. That was years ago. Never been back since. For me too much competition in the food business. You come up with a new way or idea to cook something, everyone loves it and then the next week everyone else is doing it.