Lemon problem could be solved !

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I think your dreaming but please do let us know.

Why can't they just grow the damn things here !!

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
I have already investigated ...its the climate. Lemon trees dont thrive too well in the tropics

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
May Truelemon be your salvation.

I have seen actual lemon trees growing in the DR, but they are rare.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They sell concentrated lemon juice here...but you cannot get lemons.

When the German fellow had a small supermarket in Cabarete, he occasionally sold real lemons. But he is long gone. I have no idea where he got them from, but they appeared to be locally grown.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The problem I see is getting the lemon tree here in the first place. I want to grow some Meyer Lemons but can't figure how to get the cuttings here without serious hassle.[/QUOT

What if you use the seeds from the meyer lemons and plant it.Maybe that will work.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Don't they grow them in Florida? If so they should grow here.

Almost all lemons sold in North America are either Eureka or Lisbon. These lemons are so similar - medium-sized, oval, bright yellow inside and out, with a tangy and bright flavor - that they are grown and packed together.

A much smaller Meyer lemon crop comes rom California, Arizona, and Florida. Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons, with an orange-like flavor and aroma.

Lemon Season
Unlike other citrus, lemons don't need a ton of heat to ripen. They also bloom and ripe concurrently - that is, they'll have blossoms and fruit on the same tree at the same time. Trees in particularly temperate areas can have fruit ripening year-round (or almost). Commercial trees, however, tend to be harvest 3 or 4 times in their season, which is about 6 months long. Most lemons (95%) grown in the U.S. are from California and Arizona, with coastal California groves harvesting in late winter through early summer and Arizona groves harvesting in fall and early winter.

Choosing Lemons
As with all fruits, look for lemons that feel heavy for their size. Also, the old wives' tale is true: smaller citrus fruit is juicier. As luck would have it, our bigger-is-better culture has made smaller citrus fruit cheaper too. Look for small, heavy fruit without bruises, cuts, or blemishes that will lead it to rot or mold quickly.

Storing Lemons
Lemons will be juiciest when stored at room temperature, but will keep longer if stored loosely wrapped in plastic in the hydrator (crisper) drawer in the fridge.

Freezing Lemons
The juice sacs in the lemons will burst if you freeze the fruits whole. Lemon juice, however, freezes very nicely indeed. So feel free to juice lemons and freeze the juice - in quarts, cups, or ice cubes, whatever amount works best for you.

Lemon zest - the bright yellow part of the peel (never include the bitter white pith beneath)- also freezes very well. Grate it off of lemons before you juice them, freeze it in a small resealable plastic bag, and use in teaspoon portions to add to salad dressings, soups, or roasts.

Using Whole Lemons

Photo ? Molly Watson

When most people think of using lemons they think of lemon juice. And lemon juice has endless uses. But lemons are also a whole fruit. Not one, perhaps, most of us would consider eating out-of-hand, but a whole fruit nonetheless. Lemon sections can be great in otherwise sweet salads, and preserved lemons are softened and mellowed by a long soak in salty lemon juice, rendering their peel not just edible, but delicious. Plus, lemons can be used as an all-natural, non-toxic cleaner, softener, and deodorizer.

Juicing Lemons

Photo ? Molly Watson

Get as much juice as possible from lemons: 1.Have lemons at room temperature
2.Roll lemons firmly on a counter with the palm of your hand to loosen juice sacs
3.Cut in half and juice with a lemon reamer, or citrus juicer
4.Or - my favorite method - cut into quarters, leaving the stem end attached, and squeeze with your hands, using your fingers to work out every bit of juice (this method also whitens your fingernails, softens your cuticles, and smooths your skin)