anyone wants to fish off the road to airport SDQ?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hi folks, I will be moving here full time as opposed to spending my weekends in santiago. I have never really spent a weekend in santo domingo so I have never really experienced what people do here on weekends. I have been living sort of a boring life. So before I just become old and lazy, I would like to start getting involved in some weekend activities. I will be living a block away from Malecon, so naturally I thought about fishing. I don't have a clue about fishing nor I have ever caught a fish in my whole life. I was more in tune of driving towards to airport and then pulling off on the side of the road to try to fish. I see many people doing this everyday and the water seems quite clean as opposed to the city malecon. I would be very interested in trying out the fishing scene there for a day. If I like it, I may make it a hobby. Anyone has done this or does this regularly? I would like to go with you just to see how it's done. I will buy the lunch and beers.
So please let me know if anyone is up to it.
AZB

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi folks, I will be moving here full time as opposed to spending my weekends in santiago. I have never really spent a weekend in santo domingo so I have never really experienced what people do here on weekends. I have been living sort of a boring life. So before I just become old and lazy, I would like to start getting involved in some weekend activities. I will be living a block away from Malecon, so naturally I thought about fishing. I don't have a clue about fishing nor I have ever caught a fish in my whole life. I was more in tune of driving towards to airport and then pulling off on the side of the road to try to fish. I see many people doing this everyday and the water seems quite clean as opposed to the city malecon. I would be very interested in trying out the fishing scene there for a day. If I like it, I may make it a hobby. Anyone has done this or does this regularly? I would like to go with you just to see how it's done. I will buy the lunch and beers.
So please let me know if anyone is up to it.
AZB

Good for you, but a Coke and a smile should work !

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Tried the fishing several time along that route, the terrain is cragley sharp ocean worn rock, made me uncomfortable just thinking about a slip and fall.

If you take up fishing from those locations be very careful.

If you catch any fish please report I never did catch anything, and I was an adament Texas Gulf coast fisherman before coming here, fishing every weekend rain or shine.

g'luck

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tried the fishing several time along that route, the terrain is cragley sharp ocean worn rock, made me uncomfortable just thinking about a slip and fall.

If you take up fishing from those locations be very careful.

If you catch any fish please report I never did catch anything, and I was an adament Texas Gulf coast fisherman before coming here, fishing every weekend rain or shine.

g'luck

sadly speaking, you may have a point here. The water does seem a bit rough and the terrain seem very dangerous. I have seen people fishing there but have never seen anyone catch one. I will investigate more into it and will report when I have something to post. Thanks.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You have the best resource, Luis (cleaner).

I am not too sure about that. He ran out of the hooks you have bought him and his rod is also damaged or he never had one. As far as I understand, he rolls the fishing line on a can or wood and fishes the chopo way. I have a feeling he goes there to drink rum with guys than to fish. he hasn't reported any catch lately to me.
By the way, he is hoping you will buy him more hooks.
AZB

P.S. He left the sugar container open and ants got in. Hahahaha.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah be careful fishing off those rocks. It can be slippery and a fall there won't be much fun.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
yeah, especially when i can't swim and no one nearby to save me.
hahaha
AZB
If you just want to pass the time of day try fishing off of the Puente Flotante. A lot easier to get to and no need to worry about slipping and busting your rear end. I have never seen anyone catch anything but guys fish there all the time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you just want to pass the time of day try fishing off of the Puente Flotante. A lot easier to get to and no need to worry about slipping and busting your rear end. I have never seen anyone catch anything but guys fish there all the time.

LOL, thanks. I may just go there to talk to guys.
AZB

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
LOL, thanks. I may just go there to talk to guys.
AZB

OK to fish there, but you do not want to eat what you catch in or near the ozama river, I fish for the fun and reward of eating what I catch.....otherwise forget it...

g'luck

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
OK to fish there, but you do not want to eat what you catch in or near the ozama river, I fish for the fun and reward of eating what I catch.....otherwise forget it...

g'luck

I was thinking of the same. I will never eat a fish from that river.
I will just go and see what guys do and talk to them. I really want to go near the airport and park the car somewhere to fish in that ocean. The water seems clean and I would imagine the fish variety must be abundant.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
take up lobster fishing...

I always buy the lobsters when I am around there. Much better than the ones on the NC.

BelgianK