how to renew my Dominican passport?

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am very worried and tired of sending emails and calling Dominican Embassies around the world, I came to visit my dad in Pakistan, while i was here my Dominican passport has expired. Unfortunately, there is no Dominican embassy here in Pakistan, its only an Honory Consulate here and according to them they can't renew my passport, or give me travelling document. I can not get out of this country without a valid passport as i have not even pakistani passport. Can someone plzz tell me how to renew my Dominican passport while stuck in pakistan? Please help me, i'll really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shahid.

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
This is not a joke, some family circumstances got me stuck here......plz advice seriously.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is there a reliable way of getting it to the nearest embassy (New Delhi) for it to be renewed there?

C-25, Ground Floor Anand Niketan
New Delhi 110021
India
PHONE LOCAL: (011) 4342.5000
INTERNATIONAL: +91.11.4342.5000
FAX LOCAL: (011) 4342.5050
INTERNATIONAL: +91.11.4342.5050
EMAIL embadom@dr-embassy-india.com
HOURS 9:00 - 17:00

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
This is not a joke, some family circumstances got me stuck here......plz advice seriously.

The fact that your passport expired while out of the country should not matter. You shouldn't have any problems on your return. A couple of years ago I had the same problem, then I got in touch with the DR Embassy in New York and the Vice Consul told me that I can still travel back to DR with my expired dominican passport.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
The fact that your passport expired while out of the country should not matter. You shouldn't have any problems on your return. A couple of years ago I had the same problem, then I got in touch with the DR Embassy in New York and the Vice Consul told me that I can still travel back to DR with my expired dominican passport.

The problem for Shahid is that he will have to transfer through a third country to get to the DR, and that third country (UK, France, Spain, Italy or Germany) may require that he carry a valid passport to transit through its territory.

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
This where you tried right?

Dominican (Republic) Consulate in Lahore, Pakistan
16/7 Eden Homes
Jail Road
Mian Gulberge
Lahore
Pakistan

(+92) 42-3577 6655

Consulate of the Dominican Republic in Lahore, Pakistan

Yes this is where i have been trying and the person working there is not corporating, he's giving me a very difficult time. i am surprised to know that Dominican embassies don't know exchange passport within Dominican consulate to renew it.

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
The problem for Shahid is that he will have to transfer through a third country to get to the DR, and that third country (UK, France, Spain, Italy or Germany) may require that he carry a valid passport to transit through its territory.

yes Exactly this is the major problem, its the "transit visa".....

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Yes this is where i have been trying and the person working there is not corporating, he's giving me a very difficult time. i am surprised to know that Dominican embassies don't know exchange passport within Dominican consulate to renew it.

That's because the Dominican "consulate" in Pakistan is an honorary consul. This is a volunteer position. Most do NOT have official diplomatic status, no diplomatic immunity or formal credentials. Therefore no capability of issuing/renewing passports.

Most honorary consuls are merely ceremonial, cultural or social appointments that are given out like candy.

The devil is in the details.

Last edited:

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
That's because the Dominican "consulate" in Pakistan is an honorary consul. This is a volunteer position. Most do NOT have official diplomatic status, no diplomatic immunity or formal credentials. Therefore no capability of issuing/renewing passports.

Most honorary consuls are merely ceremonial, cultural or social appointments that are given out like candy.

The devil is in the details.

Yea so it means he this consulate only issue visit visa to dominican and nothing else?? what about Dominican government, can't they help me?

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Yea so it means he this consulate only issue visit visa to dominican and nothing else?? what about Dominican government, can't they help me?
Look, as an absolute minimum the Honorary Consulate should be able to point you in the right direction...that is, to tell where/how to solve your problem....

That being said, I have bad news for you...you obviously do NOT have a biometric passport (black colour)...they are relatively new, and if you had one it would NOT be expired...I can tell you that the process to get a bio pport is complicated even if you have a non experied old one...only a few consulates can do it...the others can at least gather the essential docs and send them to the nearest consulate that can do it...as an example, in the ENTIRE EUROPE only the Hamburg Consulate (Germany) could do it, last I checked...I imagine that the situation is probably worse in Asia...may be the also send it to Germany...the waiting time depends of course on the queue but it is a matter of weeks, at least...

All that being said, I have a friend who used to work at a Dominican Consulate in a major European city...and he told me that ROUTINELY they get fraudulent pport request from people from Middle Eastern and Muslim countries....apparently people from those countries do better with a Dominican pport than with their own (for whatever reasons)....

If you do have a legit expired pport, ask the consulate for direction, and I wish you the best...
If your pport is fraudulent I obviously very much wish the exact opposite!!!!!!!

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
Look, as an absolute minimum the Honorary Consulate should be able to point you in the right direction...that is, to tell where/how to solve your problem....

That being said, I have bad news for you...you obviously do NOT have a biometric passport (black colour)...they are relatively new, and if you had one it would NOT be expired...I can tell you that the process to get a bio pport is complicated even if you have a non experied old one...only a few consulates can do it...the others can at least gather the essential docs and send them to the nearest consulate that can do it...as an example, in the ENTIRE EUROPE only the Hamburg Consulate (Germany) could do it, last I checked...I imagine that the situation is probably worse in Asia...may be the also send it to Germany...the waiting time depends of course on the queue but it is a matter of weeks, at least...

All that being said, I have a friend who used to work at a Dominican Consulate in a major European city...and he told me that ROUTINELY they get fraudulent pport request from people from Middle Eastern and Muslim countries....apparently people from those countries do better with a Dominican pport than with their own (for whatever reasons)....

If you do have a legit expired pport, ask the consulate for direction, and I wish you the best...
If your pport is fraudulent I obviously very much wish the exact opposite!!!!!!!

Firstly, Thanks alot for the details, its sad how people try to have an image of people from ASIA or Muslim countries....but in my case I have legit and original real Dominican Passport. I have been living in Dominican for past 15 years. This unfortunate incident happend only due to my father's health and later on death. I am a professional LA USAD graduate Doctor. I am also very shocked to see what has happend to myself, well as you have mentioned, i will try to talk to this guy at the Honory Consulate to get me some kind of Travel document or visit visa for Dominican atleast? Later on I guess that bio matric process need to see me in person where ever they are doing this renewl?i mean which ever country they r doing it. Later on i can get it done.

Thanks for infomartion.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Firstly, Thanks alot for the details, ...in my case I have legit and original real Dominican Passport. I have been living in Dominican for past 15 years. This unfortunate incident happend only due to my father's health and later on death. I am a professional LA USAD graduate Doctor...
Hi, in principle you could get a bio pp by mail, if you already have an old one...you can take a look at the process described by the Dominican Consulate in London...whichever consulate handles your case likely follows a similar procedure:
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

Since it costs nothing, you could also send emails to several Dominican Consulates with active web presence and ask them if they can help you in any way, at least with information....The Consulate at major cities are moderately modernised...perhaps they read and answer emails...if you can find in a directory a specific person who seems to handle passport that would be worth a shot...For example look at the Embassy in India directory:
Embassy of Dominican Republic in India

Best wishes.

Shahid

Aug 26, 2012
Hi, in principle you could get a bio pp by mail, if you already have an old one...you can take a look at the process described by the Dominican Consulate in London...whichever consulate handles your case likely follows a similar procedure:
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

Since it costs nothing, you could also send emails to several Dominican Consulates with active web presence and ask them if they can help you in any way, at least with information....The Consulate at major cities are moderately modernised...perhaps they read and answer emails...if you can find in a directory a specific person who seems to handle passport that would be worth a shot...For example look at the Embassy in India directory:
Embassy of Dominican Republic in India

Best wishes.

I really liked your idea about sending emails to all the consulates, but if they required me to be there in person then its difficult for me to appear....well lets try this idea first :)

Thanks alot!!!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

Honorary consulate = No official functions (No travel documents) (no ability to help) None, Zero (Nada) =0.
Unfortunately, the DR Gov't might only be able to help you, in person, at their nearest official, full service, consulate.

The honorary consul may not even be Dominican. He may not even ever been to the DR. As an absolute maximum he may not even have a clue. Sometimes these appointments are bestowed (an honor).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is really very simple. If you can not use your DR passport then use your Pakistani passport, I understand you don't have one at the moment, so get it, you don't lose your rights because they expire. You're a doctor, I'm sure you've worked out more difficult things than this before.

When young and backpacking I went to a consulate and told them I'd been robbed, passport, money, everything, it is the consulates obligation to take care of a citizen under such circumstances, and they did.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Honorary consulate = No official functions (No travel documents) (no ability to help) None, Zero (Nada) =0.
Unfortunately, the DR Gov't might only be able to help you, in person, at their nearest official, full service, consulate.
The honorary consul may not even be Dominican. He may not even ever been to the DR. As an absolute maximum he may not even have a clue. Sometimes these appointments are bestowed (an honor).
Are you speculating because of the word "honorary" or are you speaking on solid basis?

I have never dealt with the Pakistani honorary consul (of course he could very well be Pakistani), but I have dealt with other honorary consuls who do in fact provide USEFUL services...not as much OF COURSE as a full-blown consul, but they do...

I have never been appointed as an honorary consul myself (perhaps you have?), but I would venture to say that as an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM an honorary consul is given enough information to be able to handle some common problems that a citizen may encounter abroad...certainly at least knowing how to direct a citizen having a common passport problem (where to go, etc) would seem to be very high on the list....But again, if you KNOW FOR A FACT that there are honorary consuls who basically can do nothing for a citizen (nor even providing accurate INFORMATION) I'd defer to your expertise if you have it.