Is there a DEATH-METAL scene within the DR?

Jan 3, 2003
[video=youtube;SD_gQsSv9s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_gQsSv9s8&feature=share&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CPRsz5EGip4ynnPzrjd1ca[/video]

I just happened to stumble upon this and was wondering if there was a DEATH METAL scene in the DR. Or does this scene go counter to the Dominican culture? It would seem to be so since the DR tradition of happy go lucky songs dealing with love, love lost, prosperity and general merry making seems to be the norm while DEATH METAL deals with death, rot, putrefying corpses, wasting away diseases, cemeteries, autopsies, zombies, etc. There seems to be a cultural divide in all of this but I might be wrong.

I did notice that within the ANGLO-SAXON culture of North America there is a widespread motif underpinning all of this. Is it that there is a more somber macabre tone to life due to weather perhaps? The DR people generally speaking are not DEATH METAL fans, LOL, but I wonder within the DR youth today they feel attracted to this. It does have its attraction. The music is a polar opposite of the typical music heard within the DR and because of that the DR youth may be especially attracted to it.

Anyway, hope to hear some input on this-

Dec 26, 2011
The poor kids try because they think it's cool, but they're doing it wrong...:):

La nueva generacion de metaleros dominicanos - YouTube

As you point out, Death Metal has to do with introspection, albeit very dark introspection. Know many Dominicans that you'd describe as introspective? :)

I'm sure you'll find some pockets of authentic metaleros in the universities. But yes, it's a genre that's almost diametrically opposed to El Teke Teke.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Im sure there is I was shocked to find out there is a Rastafarian following here as that goes against all Domincan culture locks, beards etc etc!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's the last thing we need here to entice kids to focus on death and the negative to the point that a percentage would act on these feelings.

Dec 26, 2011
That's the last thing we need here to entice kids to focus on death and the negative to the point that a percentage would act on these feelings.

Wow! You're something else. Reggaeton and bachata haven't done much to stem domestic abuse or feminicide. A little of the markedly more cerebral metal certainly won't hurt anything.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Needless to say they killing each other already enough to the romantic tunes of Bachata...

But there is enough "nicer" metal out there than "Death Metal"

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Aren't you a Dominican? You speak as if you're a foreigner.You seem to be so knowledgeable
with the Dominican culture from reading your posts,that I'm surprised you don't know the
answer to this.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wow! You're something else. Reggaeton and bachata haven't done much to stem domestic abuse or feminicide. A little of the markedly more cerebral metal certainly won't hurt anything.

As far as I remember there haven't been multiple mass killings by students listening to Reggaeton or Bachata.

And just because Reggeton is trash doesn't mean we need something worse, good grief.

Dec 26, 2011
As far as I remember there haven't been multiple mass killings by students listening to Reggaeton or Bachata.

And just because Reggeton is trash doesn't mean we need something worse, good grief.

Worse? Music is artistic expression. If it resonates with someone, even if I don't enjoy it or understand it, it's done what it's meant to do.

Music doesn't make someone take a life.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Worse? Music is artistic expression. If it resonates with someone, even if I don't enjoy it or understand it, it's done what it's meant to do.

Spoken like a true pc metal head. Just like pot doesn't lead to other drugs, etc ad nauseam.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Spoken like a true pc metal head. Just like pot doesn't lead to other drugs, etc ad nauseam.

@Chipper,

You really need to take a few hits on the 'ole bong my freng.
The Rastafarian movement utilizes ganja as part of their religious ritual, it might do you some good.

tambo'

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

The US courts agree, Ozzy Osbourne was acquitted of being responsible for the death of a teenager who killed himself listening to his song 'suicide solution.'

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

I beg to differ, kids, well even adults, young men are very heavily influenced by whole gangster rap scene. No one holds a gun for them, but it is not just coincidence that gangs in the mass listen to gangster rap, go out and pop a cap in someone's a$$ for walking down the west side, as opposed to the east side (what ever that is all about).
you are correct no one forces them, but the influence is heavily responsible, and especially in the DR also.

Dec 26, 2011

You lose a little more credibility with every keystroke. I don't like metal. At all. But I have the mental capacity to entertain an idea without personally embracing it. For example, I understand that two men loving one another must be a lovely thing for the parties involved. I understand that their relationship has no effect on me and I will gladly correct any homophobe that suggests that they pose a threat to heterosexuals and defend their right to live authentically.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

I think you've got that a bit wrong. Metal heads for the most part have the reputation for being the intelligent lot who like terrible music. Obviously that is a generalisation, but what isn't on a forum?

Dec 26, 2011
I beg to differ, kids, well even adults, young men are very heavily influenced by whole gangster rap scene. No one holds a gun for them, but it is not just coincidence that gangs in the mass listen to gangster rap, go out and pop a cap in someone's a$$ for walking down the west side, as opposed to the east side (what ever that is all about).
you are correct no one forces them, but the influence is heavily responsible, and especially in the DR also.

I appreciate your point, giva. But gangster rap very explicitly glorifies the thug life. I'm not aware of Death Metal encouraging mass homicide.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

No connection between the two Chip. Most people know people who spend a lifetime smoking weed and never bother moving on to anything else. It is the minority that get sucked under, EVERYONE experiments, or even experiments once in a while if they like, but the theory weed leads to stronger stuff isn't true. It is just that weed is the introductory level drug, so in that case you can say that alcohol leads to drugs, and so everyone who drinks a beer is a potential smack head, which is rubbish. Sorry!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think you've got that a bit wrong. Metal heads for the most part have the reputation for being the intelligent lot who like terrible music. Obviously that is a generalisation, but what isn't on a forum?

Also some who are doing the "terrible music" lol

[video=youtube;DYn2TNGWET8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYn2TNGWET8[/video]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I appreciate you point, giva. But gangster rap very explicitly glorifies the thug life. I'm not aware of Death Metal encouraging mass homicide.

No it doesn't that I'm aware of. My comment was only baring on the idea music doesn't make people kill, 'some music does promote it', but not DM that I could ever understand d even if it did.:squareeye