Wi fi booster

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Three solutions come to mind:

1. Depending upon the access point (AP) you are using, you may only need to replace the antenna with a hi-gain or upgrad the AP to a newer and more powerful model.
2. Or you can use a wifi repeater that captures your existing (weak) signal, amplifies it and retransmits it. Awkward to use on secure networks, however.
3. Use a range extender like a Linksys RE1000. I match brands because it's often simply easiest to set up.

Check out Networking and Wi-Fi - CNET Reviews to get a set of decent reviews for you to select from!

DavidVL

Feb 20, 2012
A fourth option might be a Powerline Extender. Didn't find them at Cecomsa's site but Amazon sells a lot of them
Amazon.com: powerline wireless: Electronics

You plug one in on the 1st floor, connect it to your switch or router, and the 2nd unit you plug in on the 2nd floor. Possible a small config needs to be done to secure and rename the network.
The units need to be on the same power net, they can't for example traverse from your house to your neighbour...

I use this alot in Europe.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sounds good.... any experience using it here? Anyone?

But, with the wonders reg. "power" here using it here I would not be surprised if my toaster all of a sudden has Internet access, lol...

A fourth option might be a Powerline Extender. Didn't find them at Cecomsa's site but Amazon sells a lot of them
Amazon.com: powerline wireless: Electronics

You plug one in on the 1st floor, connect it to your switch or router, and the 2nd unit you plug in on the 2nd floor. Possible a small config needs to be done to secure and rename the network.
The units need to be on the same power net, they can't for example traverse from your house to your neighbour...

I use this alot in Europe.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Providing wireless solutions for this problem here in the DR could be a great business idea for someone.

Because of the building practises here, with all the rebar they use for construction, it's like sitting in a metal cage, which really attenuates any radio signal. You will never get the claimed distances on wireless devices here.

If someone could come up with a device or method of ensuring good wifi coverage throughout a whole building I'm sure it would be a good seller.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Right, I made the math without the rebar...

Providing wireless solutions for this problem here in the DR could be a great business idea for someone.

Because of the building practises here, with all the rebar they use for construction, it's like sitting in a metal cage, which really attenuates any radio signal. You will never get the claimed distances on wireless devices here.

If someone could come up with a device or method of ensuring good wifi coverage throughout a whole building I'm sure it would be a good seller.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sounds good.... any experience using it here? Anyone?

But, with the wonders reg. "power" here using it here I would not be surprised if my toaster all of a sudden has Internet access, lol...

The results vary depending on the quality of wiring and state of it, the amount of electronic crosstraffic and whether or not the phases for the electric groups are matching. Cross phases these solutions loose a lot of practicality.

Uncertain performance was the reason I have just cabled the entire house with a switch right after the router (I assume your router does both Wi-Fi and cabled). I have installed separate routers in each area attached to the cable as needed. This also gives you the opp to set-up different networks (say private and public) for different users.

Don't be cheap on the switch and make sure they are 1G, either-way or else you are loosing half your network capacity.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Almost all antennas that come with routers are “omnidirectional”. That means they broadcast all the way around (360 degrees)..... but they do so in a flat donut shape. Very little up or down. Thus, a first floor omnidirectional antenna doesn't provide much coverage upstairs. Try tilting the antenna, or as others have suggested.... a second antenna (router/antenna) upstairs.

Others (on the internet) suggest a parabolic aluminum foil reflector, placed behind the antenna (on the side of the exterior wall) will reflect more signal were you want it.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Almost all antennas that come with routers are “omnidirectional”. That means they broadcast all the way around (360 degrees)..... but they do so in a flat donut shape. Very little up or down. Thus, a first floor omnidirectional antenna doesn't provide much coverage upstairs. Try tilting the antenna, or as others have suggested.... a second antenna (router/antenna) upstairs.

Others (on the internet) suggest a parabolic aluminum foil reflector, placed behind the antenna (on the side of the exterior wall) will reflect more signal were you want it.

Good and cheap tips, from CNET. Start with these here.

I think it has to do with the solidity of the walls though, so the OP will prolly need multiple sources around the premises