Article about Costambar in "El Faro:

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
The following is an English translation of an article in the Puerto Plata "El Faro" newspaper.
Would anyone care to comment on its accurateness.
-------------------------------------------------------
What one time ago was the Cos*t?m*bar tourist project ? which took off on a good footing but after a few years underwent a stunt in its growth that has not been able to shake off - is gradually becoming a ghetto, in spite of the efforts of its successive Board of Directors. Since some years back, Costambar has become partially paralyzed and semi-abandoned. A large number of interested foreigners acquired homes and apartments to come and stay for 3-6 months a year; natives also welcomed the place to live in, but, thanks to contamination, lack of a garbage collection program, they have decided to leave. The expectation today is that many such dwellings will close, whose proprietors have not returned to the country nor sold their abandoned and deteriorated properties, thus making Costambar look like a failed tourist project, whose causes are attributed to many reasons. Costambar is more than 2 km (1.2 miles) from the city of PP, in front of the old Free-Duty Zone. In past years, it was a near paradise with its golden sand half-moon-shaped beach, magnificent places, hotels, restaurants, discos and other types of businesses. In spite of being affected by the dredging of the local port, the place forged on with its original attractions. Some other factors that have contributed to the current condition of this spot of unique beauty is the emergence of ghettos around it, surrounding pollution, excessive taxation and the arrival of the Smith-Emron electrical generating plant, which led to the eventual closing of the Bayside Hill Hotel. Things are no longer the same, in spite of the fact there exist proprietor associations and owners of commercial establishments on the beach, who worry about the situation, making efforts to keep it in an acceptable shape that will allow many Dominicans to flock to the beach weekly, in order to enjoy it, with the restrictions that guarantee order and cleanliness. The best years were during 1982-1990, with the Palma Caribe, Bayside Hill, Villa Jazmin and Barlovento hotels, now disappeared and now Costambar has electricity problems, a dearth of drinking water, its streets are deteriorated and disagreement among its three associations as to how to resolve the problems. It is sad that such a beautiful place with many nice remembrances of yesteryear, a place of work for so many, recreation for others and life for others, find itself orphaned today with nobody coming to its rescue, without proposals to recover the economic and touristic attractiveness it once held. Let us not allow its ghetto transformation and abandon be the causes that make Costambar simply become history with streets only transited by ghosts. Authorities from the ministries of Tourism and Medio Ambiente could still do a great deal and show that treasure is not all lost.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
I don't own in Costambar, but have rented annually for 20 years & know many long time owners. Costambar is far cleaner now than it was 20 years ago. The two biggest issues were the road and lack of power. The road has been fixed. If they could get the power situation under control I think more people may consider living there. I don't see any issue with the drinking water, everyone uses bottled water and I think this is prevalent across the country. I don't consider this to be a ghetto at all and am concerned that some people do. Is there crime? Of course, but that is everywhere. We love it since it is small and you can walk to everything.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
While some of those descriptions have some elements of truth, its a very negative view of the development. Its still better than most Dominican neighborhoods in Puerto Plata, with better homes, roads, and crime control. Yes, there are abandoned buildings, but here are also nice affluent homes and apartment complexes. Also, some decent restaurants. The golf course is improved, and now has a nice clubhouse/restaurant/spa. I think its on the right track now, and change will come slowly, but it will be for the better.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Byes that was the worst outlook of a neighborhood the cup half empty look .... it does need watching , as sme areas too do , but this place is not nearly at the point that pm suggests !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as always, part true, part lie.
costambar used to be a place for the rich: it had beautiful boutique hotels, bars, restaurants and so on. the arrival of the plant destroyed them. i could never understand why it was placed there: it would have been better to take ground in some barrios closer to port. in other words - burning them down to the ground for the fundaments of the plant...

in any case, for many years costambar was worsening: abandoned structures, mess, rubbish everywhere and so on. but things have changed.

we moved to costambar about 3 years ago. at the beginning i thought it was a bad decision: too far from the city, too forgotten. but now i am happy. there are new construction going on in few places and i head that hacienda will rent the entire golf course area to make it available for their customers: a bridge will be made to connect cofresi and costambar, close to the ocean. restaurant adjacent to campo de golf attracts many people, so does the spa.

asociacion de propietarios de costambar (APC) does a great job too: streets are very clean, rubbish is removed on time. there is a strong security here including armed patrols from policia national. they drive around costambar all day and night. when miesposo is away on business he always asks them to pay more attention to our house: the police will drive by ours street several times at night. i can safely walk streets of costambar day and night (although for night walks i take dogs with me :) ).

i think costambar has enormous potential to become another bayardo (rich neighbourhood in POP). it already has more houses with pools than the rest of POP put together, just check google maps. i hate to sound as crazy as pichardo :) but there is lots of money being spent in costambar, lots of new houses going up, old houses bought and fixed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ends of lease, maybe? i understand they do not own this plot of land, they are "renting" it from POP...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I wonder what it would take for Smith Enron to leave? Surely they aren't making much profit with that plant?
I am aware that I am off topic but what makes you think the power plant doesn't make much profit?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder what it would take for Smith Enron to leave? Surely they aren't making much profit with that plant?

I am aware that I am off topic but what makes you think the power plant doesn't make much profit?

Great idea for a company producing power to leave since there are no power problems in the DR.

In order to make a profit they would actually have to get paid by EDENORTE for the power they produce.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Costambar's a great place to retire to or rent a place for your holidays.

The power plant barely affects the town, the prevailing wind is inland towards San Marocs.

so then, ffritz, whatever happened to the Bayside Hotel? or, have the prevailing winds now changed direction?

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
When Smith Enron first built the plant it was right behind Bayside Hill, not exactly what what tourists want to see. And the plant had problems with steam releases, which let out an almighty roar several times a day or night. The smoke generally went over barrio Javiar and the free zone,

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When Smith Enron first built the plant it was right behind Bayside Hill, not exactly what what tourists want to see. And the plant had problems with steam releases, which let out an almighty roar several times a day or night. The smoke generally went over barrio Javiar and the free zone,

so you are saying that they moved it?

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Those of us "on the ground" so to speak, watch the fumes blow over Javillar & San Marcos.

For about 30 minutes a day the wind shifts & heads towards Costambar.

Just driving into Puerto Plata you inhale more fumes in 10 minutes than you get from the planta in a week.

IMHO ;-)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not care about the fumes or the noise (but i am probably as far from the planta i can be). however, the whole thing is an eyesore. i could never understand why put it there.