Proof of onward travel required

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
This on Westjet's site;
Starting April 30, 2012, Canadian Citizens travelling to the Dominican Republic will require a passport valid for the length of their stay, and hold proof of onward travel for entry.
I take this to mean no more one way tickets.
Mack.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
This has always been touch and go, in my 7 years of travel back and forth to the DR it has been asked of me 3 times out of roughly 15 flights. Most recently, last week, it was required by JetBlue. The work around here (aside from residency, which is the best long term option) is to buy a fully refundable ticket and then cancel it once you are in the DR. These tickets are expensive as hell, but they are fully refundable and if put on the credit card cost you nothing at the end of the day.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just bought a one way from YYZ to POP with WestJet for Begninning of Oct ...
You can ~buy~ one. But when you arrive at the airport you may be required to provide proof.

What is the experience of folks traveling recently to/from the states?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
The us will be will the real problems are I flew from Europe about 2 months ago , and they stated no one way to DR . AND I BOOKED one way with the backup plan of purchasing another ticket if bothered but no problem .However no one should not think eventually the systems will think of some way of penalizing a person

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can ~buy~ one. But when you arrive at the airport you may be required to provide proof.

What is the experience of folks traveling recently to/from the states?

Yes, CB, they will be asked at the airport.... I use WestJet for my flts from Canada and they ask.

RE: USA - I just booked JetBlue- JFK to AZS for Dec one way and the popup warned me about the 1 way.
As you say, they let me book it but they'll query me at check-in g'td.

WW

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in my last trip to europe (may) i was asked to provide residency upon check-in at the berlin airport, on my way back.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I took AA from MIA one way into STI 2 mounths ago and am still here and had no problem with the one way ticket !

Jan 17, 2009
AA and JetBlue have both stopped passengers I know of years back and required them to purchase return tickets.

Buying a full refundable ticket (at least on AA) is not a solution. Someone I know had to do this last year. When he arrived, he went to the AA counter to ask for a refund. They said no problem; show us your DR residency card; without it, no refund.

I managed to get on AA in Miami with a one-way ticket more than once, by checking in on the machines, not the counter. But you can't count on this. The airlines do this because they get fined (or so they claim).

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
This has never made sense to me. If somebody is decided to stay in a country, surely the price of the return ticket is not going to stop him/her.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
This has never made sense to me. If somebody is decided to stay in a country, surely the price of the return ticket is not going to stop him/her.
Dead right! Every time I come here from the UK I have to buy a return ticket and just not use the return. To me, it just makes the ticket to come here slightly more expensive, but not much.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Dead right! Every time I come here from the UK I have to buy a return ticket and just not use the return. To me, it just makes the ticket to come here slightly more expensive, but not much.
Fair comments Castle and drstock if you're coming to stay and planning not to return.
Until this year you could purchase a one way ticket when you could catch a deal, come down for as long as you cared to stay, watch online for a good deal for your return, pay your overstay charge on the way out and no problem. Always a lot less expensive than buying a return which you don't use then buying a one way back. And no need to buy a return ticket and try to get a refund. Seems to me things are changing....
Mack.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Fair comments Castle and drstock if you're coming to stay and planning not to return.
Until this year you could purchase a one way ticket when you could catch a deal, come down for as long as you cared to stay, watch online for a good deal for your return, pay your overstay charge on the way out and no problem. Always a lot less expensive than buying a return which you don't use then buying a one way back. And no need to buy a return ticket and try to get a refund. Seems to me things are changing....
Mack.
The airlines are not trying to prevent your not returning, all they do is protect themselves by selling you a return ticket. This way they can't be held responsible for your illegal action.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And this has inquiring minds wondering just how it is that thee does return to the UK for the next trip?

Thou shouldst be aware that I must return via another airline that alloweth me to purchase a one way ticket to Europe. Mine return journey to the UK ist more complicated and expensive.:classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now that i think of it.... i came here 6 years ago on return ticket from thomson (or thomas cook). obviously i did not use the return portion of my ticket. yet those arseholes charged me 10 pounds "penalty" for not using it!

oh well. at least i did not pay anything for extra luggage (i had 32kg with only 20kg allowance). i told a girl at check-in i was moving to DR to get married and she said it was a wedding gift from one eastern european to another (she was from latvia).

Feb 7, 2007
Buying a full refundable ticket (at least on AA) is not a solution. Someone I know had to do this last year. When he arrived, he went to the AA counter to ask for a refund. They said no problem; show us your DR residency card; without it, no refund.

You can request a ticket refund online (cancel the reservation - if made online - and it will automatically refund back to your CC, if the ticket is fully refundable), you don't have to go to the counter. You can even request counter-bought tickets to be refunded online, but it takes some more time (about a week more). The computer has no way of knowing of your DR status nor will it ask for it.

Also you do not have to have reservation on the same airline, best bet would actually be to use two different airlines, and do everything online/by phone (of course by calling USA cust.service, not a DR one).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The sense of it comes from the idea if you aren't a resident then you should be returning within a given period.

Not the point FishMan......... the poster sees the cost of the return leg as a minor concern for a long stay entry.

As I read/interpret his post