SENDING MONEY TO "DR"

D

David

SOMEONE HAD ASKED ME IF I HAD WANTED TO BE PART OF A "NEGOCIO" IN DR.
WHERE I WOULD SEND MONEY TO A PARTICULAR PERSON AND THEY IN TURN WOULD GIVE IT TO THOSE WHO HAD ASKED FOR SOME. I AM TOLD THAT I WOULD GET THE MONEY I SENT ALSO INTEREST EARNED. IS THIS GOOD OR IS IT BETTER TO OPEN A BANK ACOUNT OVER THERE INSTEAD?

K

KenDP

There are a lot of scams against foreigners in the DR and this sure sounds like one of them. I would be very wary. A lot of Dominicans think that all foreigners are rich and stupid; too many, unfortunately, are or at least act that way.

G

Grahame Bush

David, - Not knowing the source of information you received & going on what you have written only, I can only agree with the others who say this sounds like a scam. If you want me to check anything out for you, let me know the details.

If you are truly interested in getting some money to those who NEED it, drop me a line with your ideas etc. You will HAVE to come & check out my responses & organise any contractural details but then you will get a GOOD holiday at the same time!!! I am hopeful that all those that know me from this board, the other board & that have met me over the years, will advise you that there is NO WAY I would scam anyone but just give you the facts & make the introductions for you to make your own decisions as to whether you wish to proceed.
Regards - Grahame.

K

KenDP

Re your question about opening a bank account; yes that is better than having some stranger use your money, with promise to repay with interest.

Banco Popular is a good bank to do business with. They have branches all over the country and allow you to open both peso and dollar accounts.

But even when you have a bank account, DO NOT BE TRUSTING of people who promise to return your money with interest. I doubt that you would do this in your own country, and you should be even more cautious here where you have almost no protection from the police and courts in matters of this sort.

There are countless people who have been cheated out of a lot of money in this cournty for falling for what sounded like a GREAT DEAL. This is especially true when buying property. NEVER buy from a local that promises you he'll save you a lot of money if you don't deal with a reputable attorney and realtor.