GuaGua/Public from Rio San Juan to LasTerrenas?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Maybe this is covered in a thread - I searched and did not find. How can I best make affordable connections to Las Terrenas from Rio San Juan. I know the public/gua gua to RSJ.. but beyond? What does it cost?

Or other options?

Thanks...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
There is a guagua that is an express from Puerto Plata to both Samana, and LT, goes twice a day, one quite early and one in the afternoon.... picks up in the major towns along the route......if you search there are some phone numbers on the board

If you want to take the regular guagua, then you change in both Rio San Juan and Nagua

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try Caribe Tours as well... they stop in RSJ but I'm not sure about going on to LT.
Altho' they must..... connect in Nagua too.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Try Caribe Tours as well... they stop in RSJ but I'm not sure about going on to LT.
Altho' they must..... connect in Nagua too.

You'd probably have to take the CT to Sanchez and then the guagua to LT. I don't think the CT goes to LT.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe this is covered in a thread - I searched and did not find. How can I best make affordable connections to Las Terrenas from Rio San Juan. I know the public/gua gua to RSJ.. but beyond? What does it cost?

Or other options?

Thanks...

What I suggest is to take the guagua from RSJ to Nagua, Cariibe Tours from Nagua to Sanchez and guagua from Sanchez to LT.

Alternatively, maybe someone knows the schedule of the bus from LT to SD and back. Possibly you could connect with that bus in Nagua.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Caribe Tours does not go from RSJ to Samana, only to the new highway heading south to the capital. Best bet- Papagallo transporte-goes from P Plata to town of Samana every day. Stops in RSJ at 8am in the bomba Isla. Get off in Sanchez and take a gua gua over the mountain. 809 749 6415. Salvador is the driver's name. very responsible K

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
What I suggest is to take the guagua from RSJ to Nagua, Cariibe Tours from Nagua to Sanchez and guagua from Sanchez to LT.

Alternatively, maybe someone knows the schedule of the bus from LT to SD and back. Possibly you could connect with that bus in Nagua.

The bus from SD to LT does not go through Nagua - it uses the new road. There are three possibilities from Nagua.

Get gagua to Sanchez. This will get you to center of town. Take moto-concho to turn off to Las Terrenas.
Gagua from this turn off to Las Terrenas.

Gagua direct to Las Terrenas - I think about 2-3 a day.

Gagua to Samana and make sure you can get off at the turnoff to Las Terrenas after Sanchez. Thereafter pick-up to Las Terrenas.

To get to the gagua stop where the gaguas leave for Sanchez, Las Terrenas, Samana you may have to catch a moto-concho from the drop off point on Nagua.

Last gagua from turn off to Las Terrenas is about 5 p.m. so leave plenty of time. If you are late it is overnight an exciting moto-concho ride to Las Terrenas or a taxi.

From Nagua it is possible to negotiate a moto-concho direct to Las Terrenas via the new road - about 20-30 minutes. Be careful - get a recommendation from a shop owner etc.

Take plenty of small change to pay gaguas, etc. and be prepared to wait for a while with a cool beer!

yapask1

Last edited: