Led tv

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Cheaper to buy locally. Try Omega Tech in Santo Domingo, some good deals on Sony 40"+ LED TV's.

Will have one for sale in about 2-3 months. Brand new Sony 40" LED at a price you will not get locally :)

Jan 5, 2006
We have gone through this topic ad-nauseum... Cheapest and best way is to buy in the US and ship it with one of the door to door shippers. Better price overall, you don't have to deal with customs, and assures you that you're buying a new; not reburshied tv; which are usually passed off as new in DR stores.

If you buy it in a store, have the shipper pick up with a bill of lading showing that it's for direct shipping and you'll save the sales tax.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
We have gone through this topic ad-nauseum... Cheapest and best way is to buy in the US and ship it with one of the door to door shippers. Better price overall, you don't have to deal with customs, and assures you that you're buying a new; not reburshied tv; which are usually passed off as new in DR stores.

That is nice, as long as the tv is not DOA, or just stops working after a few days or weeks....in which case you lose everything. It's a gamble that could pay off, or not.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That is nice, as long as the tv is not DOA, or just stops working after a few days or weeks....in which case you lose everything. It's a gamble that could pay off, or not.
So true cause once that TV leaves the USA the warranty is null and void. I received a quote on shipping a TV a few weeks ago and it surely is not worth taking the risk.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did it - 40" LED.
Mudanza = door to door.
No problems .

Somebody here calculated it for me - PriceSmaart was double my Best Buy price of $650.
I saw one y'day at Walmart for $550.

Use that as a base price.

Iship allthat sort of stuff - fridges, TV;s stereos, Blue Ray, sound bar.... you name it.
Trimmers... lawn mowers.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So how does one determine if the TV is new or refurbished?

Know who you are buying from :)

If you want a good deal on flat screens, go to Omega Tech.
Both myself and AZB brought large screen Sony LED TV's for not much more than the price in the USA.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Know who you are buying from :)

If you want a good deal on flat screens, go to Omega Tech.
Both myself and AZB brought large screen Sony LED TV's for not much more than the price in the USA.
Reason I asked was I sent an email to LG Electronics and they replied that refurbished TVs are in a sealed box and the only way to tell is to open the box and there should be a "sticker" on the back of the TV stating it is refurbished. I am like WTF..........

I went to the Omega Tech website but there were not any TVs listed so I guess I will just stop in and see what they have. I have definetly ruled out shipping a TV and all this refurbished talk has me thinking.

Jan 5, 2006
Any store in the US would let you try the set in the store to make sure that it's not DOA, if you tell them that you're shipping it out of the country, and that it's being picked up by the shipper. I have shipped 3 tvs with no problems, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only problem is you have no warranty. I have lost count the amount of TV's I have seen fried here in the DR.
If you think that's worth it to save a US$100-200 on a 40" flatscreen, then go right ahead.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This has been discussed ad nauseum many times.

Some feel that any RD warranty is worthless hence opt to import.

As with many things here - there is more than one way to skin the cat.
It all boilsdown to a comfort level

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I'd love to call but Orange still hasn't got my phone working. Here's a morning laugh. They said it would take 72 hours to fix. They then said 8 days. I said but you said 72 hours. They said 9 hours per day times 8 days. It's been more than 2 weeks.
Tried on skype and they can't hear me. Sent an email to Montero. Can't seem to find an email for Awilda. Do you have one?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd love to call but Orange still hasn't got my phone working. Here's a morning laugh. They said it would take 72 hours to fix. They then said 8 days. I said but you said 72 hours. They said 9 hours per day times 8 days. It's been more than 2 weeks.
Tried on skype and they can't hear me. Sent an email to Montero. Can't seem to find an email for Awilda. Do you have one?

I thought I'd heard it all, but this takes the cake. Thanks for the morning chuckle. [Sorry!!]

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Seriosuley ! Just go to the local colmado buy a phone card and ask someone to put the time in there blackberry and borraw there phone for 2 minets . If you have mobilety problems please accept in appoligy . But email, skipe , head akes from oringe . WTF .

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Seriously ! Just go to the local colmado buy a phone card and ask someone to put the time in their Blackberry and borrow their phone for 2 minutes . If you have mobility problems please accept an apology . But email, Skype , headaches from Orange . WTF .

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Seriously ! Just go to the local colmado buy a phone card and ask someone to put the time in their Blackberry and borrow their phone for 2 minutes . If you have mobility problems please accept an apology . But email, Skype , headaches from Orange . WTF .

If you think nobody noticed,............the corrections.......lol

B in Santiago