DETAILED directions from SDQ to Las Terrenas

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
We own rental houses in Las Terrenas and I provide these directions to our guests as it can be a daunting experience for first-timers just to make it to the START of the highway!:)

Driving Directions: From Las Americas Airport (SDQ) to Las Terrenas via the Samana Carretara Rt 7- ( approx 2 hrs)
1. After leaving airport, get in left lane to go UP the curving ramp and head west, staying in the right lane.
2. Go through the FREE tollbooth and… IMPORTANT: stay to the right to get (almost immediately) on a side road that runs parallel to the highway. There are many speed bumps and potholes and also…unfortunately, lots of garbage in this particular area :( ; not the best welcome!)
3. About one mile past the Quality Inn, slow down! The entrance to the Samana Carretara will be immediately to the right. It is not well-marked and easy to miss! (If you miss the exit, you will have to drive 15+ miles to the first exit, loop around and head back toward the airport. This time the exit will be on your LEFT: Follow sign that says: “Tunel to Samana”. Turn left under the highway, go up and immediately turn right)
4. You will go thru three toll booths: Toll#1: 50 pesos, Toll #2: 161 pesos, Toll#3: 190 pesos
5. Turn right when the highway ends at Route 5 and continue to the NEW highway/toll booth. Pay 450 pesos one-way toll— they will give you a small receipt which you then give to the person in a second booth. Then enjoy the gorgeous drive along the ocean.

Last edited:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
the view is gorgeous !!!! However u don't have to pay 450 pesos, if u don't want to , u can go past that about a minute further and take another turnoff which takes u there and there is No Toll . Just options , and the view is decent too ...

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
We own rental houses in Las Terrenas and I provide these directions to our guests as it can be a daunting experience for first-timers just to make it to the START of the highway!:)
Good directions, but you may also give a break-down of the total costs VERSUS those of a taxi...
The taxi is of course more expensive, but the difference may be relatively small...and the main benefit is that the foreigner does not run the risk -- not only of getting lost with all the risks and expenses of that -- but most importantly of getting involved in a car accident as a driver (with all the complications of that)...Renting a car even in a "developed" foreign country is always risky because of these factors...obviously it is even more risky in a country like the DR, where traffic signage is deficient, and may be unfamiliar to the visitor when/if available.

Of course a shared airport transfer by a reputable provider may be a better option than a taxi, provided it is available. For example one could use the shared transfer to the nearest point to the intended destination, and then call a taxi from there.

In all, the car rental may be the worst option, once all factors AND RISKS are considered (not just raw cost).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Arrugala:

The original road over the mountain to Las Terrenas is east of Sanchez. Depending on how fast you drive 10 min or so. The turn off is just past the Texaco Station on the left and the turn is about 20 seconds further on the left and then up the steep hill. You will eventually level off. The road has many switchbacks and taking this route will save you the extra RD450 but is further by about 25min and you will use more gas. The good news is that this road has also been repaved and if you take your time is not difficult. If you are not familiar with this road do not drive it at night. There are few lights. It is a very easy ride once you get on the highway north and you can be in LT in less than 2.5hrs even if you are not familiar with driving in the DR. If you take a taxi it will cost you $200usd one way. If anyone wants additional details on rental companies that will meet you at the airport and anything else about the Samana Peninsula send me a private message. I will be happy to help.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LT would benefit from the "Pedro" style concierge service

After an SDQ p/u, very little needed in the way of transportation

And yes, the high road is smooth now...Equally good views , IMO

Dec 26, 2011
You will eventually level off. The road has many switchbacks and taking this route will save you the extra RD450 but is further by about 25min and you will use more gas. The good news is that this road has also been repaved and if you take your time is not difficult. If you are not familiar with this road do not drive it at night.

I'll be going up there in a few weeks. I'm familiar with the old road, but not the new turnoff. What's the verdict? Is the RD450 really worth it, IYO?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
depends if you are short on daylight or not. personally i like to visit coson while there and would go towards catay from LT and make a stop to coson and avoid the toll but get to enjoy the new road and its nice scenery :)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
3. About one mile past the Quality Inn, slow down! The entrance to the Samana Carretara will be immediately to the right. It is not well-marked and easy to miss! (If you miss the exit, you will have to drive 15+ miles to the first exit, loop around and head back toward the airport. This time the exit will be on your LEFT: Follow sign that says: “Tunel to Samana”. Turn left under the highway, go up and immediately turn right)

Isn't that stretch of the service road two ways? If you should happen to go by the entrance to the samana highway you ought to be able to just turn around and go back to it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'll be going up there in a few weeks. I'm familiar with the old road, but not the new turnoff. What's the verdict? Is the RD450 really worth it, IYO?

Personally, I think the viewing is better coming FROM LT rather than going towrads.

Yes, its spectacular scenery but the 450 is steep.

If you're already in LT, you can just drive on and enjoy the view.... turn around before you get to the toll booth at el Catey.
Entry is uncontrolled at the LT end.

Dec 26, 2011
Personally, I think the viewing is better coming FROM LT rather than going towrads.

Yes, its spectacular scenery but the 450 is steep.

If you're already in LT, you can just drive on and enjoy the view.... turn around before you get to the toll booth at el Catey.
Entry is uncontrolled at the LT end.

So you recommend the old route going in and paying the 450 on the trip back?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, that will work . In fact, that is my preferred route. The old route is scenic too.
And , 450 is one number, 900 is another..... thats really rich if you're just going for lunch:eek:gre:

My main point was that the view can be had for free by driving out of LT for as many miles as you like before hitting the toll.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Here's a few pics a took from the new road to LT, so those who don't know it yet can have a better idea.

2wcny50.jpg

nnlg68.jpg

dvox1x.jpg

donP

Dec 14, 2008
A choice of views

So you recommend the old route going in and paying the 450 on the trip back?

The S?nchez - LT road (16 km) over the hills will give you nice views of the lush green hills, driving on that windy stretch will require your concentration.

The BTA toll road will take you along the coast and you'll have some good views (as seen in the previous post) of the nearby beaches.

A panorama view over the ocean can be had at the northern end of Los Puentes (mountain road) where the "Mirador" view point used to be.

blicknachlt.jpg

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't that stretch of the service road two ways? If you should happen to go by the entrance to the samana highway you ought to be able to just turn around and go back to it.

I think they mean the turn from the Las Americas hiway.... to the right .
Usually there is a bus or truck blocking the miniscule sign that points the way.

If you miss that turn you drive on for quite a stretch or you put on your RD hat nad become a creative driver by backing off the big hiway on to the collector road. Its a narrow sliver in the guardwall just a bit further

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I have allways turned onto the collector road as soon as I come out of the toll booths. There are frequently national police stopping traffic there.

Mbidwell

Apr 30, 2012
As someone who has "overshot" the turnoff to highway to Samana (twice!), I cannot stress how important steps #2 & # 3 are. If you miss it, you are sailing into the outskirts of SDQ with no option to turnoff for some 10miles. How/Why after spending $$millions$$ building that highway why they cannot invest a few hundred $$ to put in proper "Highway 5 - Samana" signage for these crucial turns is beyond me.

As for the last Toll, I firmly believe first timers need to step up and pay the 450 to take this spectacular highway. My only question back to the local authorities is that No One uses it. I contend if they cute the toll in half they would get 3X the traffic, something this road can very easily handle.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Isn't that stretch of the service road two ways? If you should happen to go by the entrance to the samana highway you ought to be able to just turn around and go back to it.[/QUOTE

As previously answered by others...it's the turn-off TO the side road you don't want to miss!

Also: As I said in my OP...these are directions for FIRST-timers who want a $240/week rental car, rather than pay almost $400 for two taxi rides-- I also offer private pick-ups for those who like to be met with a Bienvenidos sign at the exit! :)

I personally agree with the those who say they prefer the Sanchez route, especially if I'm not in a hurry; however, the new El Catey highway is easy-peasy, and my guests always rave about the palm trees!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
As I said in my OP...these are directions for FIRST-timers who want a $240/week rental car, rather than pay almost $400 for two taxi rides-- I also offer private pick-ups ...the new El Catey highway is easy-peasy, and my guests always rave about the palm trees!
Hi, as indicated in my previous post it is a mistake for FIRST-TIME travellers to choose their mean of transport solely based on raw cost, without considering the risks, which could obviously change the costs involved significantly, and introduce other factors such as personal injury, lost time, impossibility to leave the country when desired, etc., etc. The people who need the detailed directions you are giving are precisely the ones who probably shouldn't be driving in the DR in the first place.

Anyway, the costs you mentioned are clearly wrong...The only way to get a decent car from a reputable company for US$240/week would be to rent without the so-called Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)... and this simply means that whatever happens to the car (including theft) is the responsibility of the renter...huge risk...some people decline this because they know or assume that some policy at home would cover them...but this shouldn't be taken lightly, especially when a foreign country is involved...the policy may not cover all countries (if it in fact covers any)... Also, additional liability insurance would be recommended...When this is considered, a modest car rental in the DR from mainstream companies should cost not much less than $400/week (it can cost a lot more of course).

To that you still need to add obviously gas plus tolls, which are significant...You'll be lucky if you can do it under US$500...and again, that is the BEST CASE scenario (no accidents, etc).

Likewise, the taxi cost of US$400 r/T is probably the "worst case" (not much bargaining or shopping around, no sharing, etc)...Even that rate would be less than the car rental cost, if you include basic rental+CDW+gas+tolls (and assuming everything else goes smoothly)...

Which is why I suggested that your guests (and anyone in a similar situation) could benefit from a detailed cost breakdown of the options, with realistic figures (and including a listing of the risks involved).