Projected path:
175200W5_NL_sm.gif

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Delaware and Main should be concerned for early next week,
and for a several days period the whole eastshores alongthe US as a eyewall collapse of Hurricane Sandy would keep her on a TS Staus windwise, but for that without a eyewall those TS Force winds would spread out over 300 miles from the Center, producing heaviest Stormsurge, and that together with the Highest Tides as monday is Full Moon. the forecasts predict on such Path the ehaviest October Rains in the History of the US Eastshores, Powerouts along a wide Arae would be a common sideeffect when the Fall Trees come down and cut powerlines.
SW Haiti received heaviest rainfalls and will get some more, the Capital there looks fine til now with much less water received, no notice about the real amounts over certain regions of the DR.
Jamaica took a straight hit on Hurricane Force.
Sandy will go down on TS Force over the rough terrain of Cuba but should come back to Hurricane Force when over the NE'ern Bahamas.
a Biest, that Sandy, she will have a Deadroll in the Stats.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Delaware and Main should be concerned for early next week,
and for a several days period the whole eastshores alongthe US as a eyewall collapse of Hurricane Sandy would keep her on a TS Staus windwise, but for that without a eyewall those TS Force winds would spread out over 300 miles from the Center, producing heaviest Stormsurge, and that together with the Highest Tides as monday is Full Moon. the forecasts predict on such Path the ehaviest October Rains in the History of the US Eastshores, Powerouts along a wide Arae would be a common sideeffect when the Fall Trees come down and cut powerlines.
SW Haiti received heaviest rainfalls and will get some more, the Capital there looks fine til now with much less water received, no notice about the real amounts over certain regions of the DR.
Jamaica took a straight hit on Hurricane Force.
Sandy will go down on TS Force over the rough terrain of Cuba but should come back to Hurricane Force when over the NE'ern Bahamas.
a Biest, that Sandy, she will have a Deadroll in the Stats.

Mike

Our local Emergency Management in southern New Jersey has already been warning us that this could be a very damaging storm. We live on a little barrier island off the coast of NJ - 7 miles long, and where I live it's only 5 short blocks wide. Hope we don't float away.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
now we are on the East under a strong Rainband,
zero wind but full rain, thunder and again we have those nice lightnings for a visual show.
as Radar coverage reaches not far to our West I don't see how much more is on it's way, as it is coming in from our SW moving to the NE, but I guess it will last some time.

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Security Message From US Embassy On Sandy

FROM: American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
DATE: October 24, 2012

SUBJECT: Tropical Storm Sandy

The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo alerts all U.S. citizens that Hurricane Sandy is expected to gain some speed through later today and tomorrow, with the center of the hurricane moving over Jamaica this afternoon and evening, and into eastern Cuba tonight and tomorrow morning.
Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 25 miles and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 140 miles. The Dominican Republic is outside of that radius at this time, but increased winds and rain are expected. Rainfall estimates remain the same (6-12 inches, with up to 20 inches in isolated locations). ONAMET continues to forecast rain across the island (http://www.onamet.gov.do/).

The Dominican Center for Emergency Operations (COE) has reported that 80 people have been displaced, 16 houses have flooded in San Juan de la Maguana, and some communities are isolated due to increasing water levels in Sanchez Ramirez province. A local news article reported that local authorities shut down one of the southwest region's most important water systems because the heavy rain experienced since yesterday has produced high turbidity in the Yaque del Sur River.

COE is issuing alerts for the following provinces:

ROJA/RED
AMARILLA/YELLOW
VERDE/GREEN
BARAHONA
SANTIAGO RODRIGUEZ
ESPAILLAT
EL SEYBO
PEDERNALES
SAN JOSE DE OCOA
SANTO DOMINGO
LA ALTAGRACIA
BAHORUCO
SAN CRISTOBAL
DISTRITO NACIONAL
LA ROMANA
SAN JUAN DE LA MAGUANA
VALVERDE
SANTIAGO
SAN PEDRO DE MACORIS
INDEPENDENCIA
PERAVIA
PUERTO PLATA
SAMANA
ELIAS PI?A
SANCHEZ RAMIREZ
MONTE PLATA
MARIA TRINIDAD SANCHEZ
DAJABON
DUARTE
HATO MAYOR
HERMANAS MIRABAL
MONTE CRISTI
LA VEGA
AZUA
MONSE?OR NOUEL
TOTAL ROJA 9
TOTAL AMARILLA 9
TOTAL VERDE 15

<tbody>
</tbody>
As a reminder, the various alerts are described below:

• Red alert is declared when a phenomenon impacts a determined zone, presenting adverse effects on the population, infrastructure, roads, and the environment.
  • Yellow alert is declared when there is an increased chance for the development of an event that implies imminent risks and severe emergency conditions.
  • Green alert is declared when the expectations of a system allows us to foresee the occurrence of a hazardous event for the population, fully or partially.
Additional information on hurricanes and storm preparedness may be found on our ?Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go? webpage, and on the ?Natural Disasters? page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Updated information on travel in the Dominican Republic may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States and Canada, or from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 am to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section of the Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and M?ximo G?mez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-731-4294; after hours emergency telephone 809-221-2171; ACS unit fax 809-689-6142; e-mailSDOamericans@state.gov; web page www.usemb.gov.do.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
In case you haven't noticed the path picture in my OP is self-updating. Check it out to see the current position of the eye, and the "cone" describing the probably projected path.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in case you still haven't noticed,
Your selfupdating Map does not show my place nor Santo Domingo nor does it show the Islannd Hispaniola at all, and it does not show exact positions to get a exact distance compared to other locations.

since last night on the DR East/Punta Cana we are under full constant Rain, wind is very low to Zero, it waill last a longer while, most areas have the power down and run on Generators today.

the effects of Sandy on the different Areas of the DR are described Live and autoupdated on http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/123903-stormy-season-2012-a-53.html#post1154211
it is anyways a bad Idea to open a second Topic about the very same Theme, as that way the info get's spread out over 2 topics and nowhere the complete info is available.

the Mod should close this one here

Mike

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
in case you still haven't noticed,
Your selfupdating Map does not show my place nor Santo Domingo nor does it show the Islannd Hispaniola at all, and it does not show exact positions to get a exact distance compared to other locations...
the effects of Sandy on the different Areas of the DR are described Live and autoupdated ...
it is anyways a bad Idea to open a second Topic about the very same Theme, as that way the info get's spread out over 2 topics and nowhere the complete info is available.
I was referring to the second image with the cone, which shows the current position of the eye and projected path...I explained that VERY clearly.

Of course it does not show the Hispaniola island ANY LONGER because it has already passed it.

FYI, when I opened this thread there was NO information about Sandy...Yes I did search for it. Maybe you can check the date/time of the OP and compare to other posts, if it is so important to you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was referring to the second image with the cone, which shows the current position of the eye and projected path...I explained that VERY clearly.

Of course it does not show the Hispaniola island ANY LONGER because it has already passed it.

FYI, when I opened this thread there was NO information about Sandy...Yes I did search for it. Maybe you can check the date/time of the OP and compare to other posts, if it is so important to you.

You must be blind.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/123903-stormy-season-2012-a-53.html

Mike is the weather reporter for DR1. He is an expert. He lives here. He keeps us up to date 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. He is never wrong and uses data from all types of different sources. His thread on the weather has all the information those of us who live here need to keep us safe and help us to plan our lives. We didn't and we don't need another thread on how Hurricane Sandy is affecting other parts of the world. What we need and what Mike gives us is how it will affect those of us who are living in the DR.

Matilda

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Dominicaus, be a sport and ask a mod to close this thread. Most of us follow the thread Stormy Season 2012 anyway, so two threads about the same thing is confusing.

Thx
Acira

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
You didn't search very hard. If ANYTHING is happening weather-wise, Mike posts about it:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/123903-stormy-season-2012-a-13.html
I DID look.

As I wrote and now REITERATE there was NO information on Sandy when I opened the thread.
Perhaps you can check the posts date and time, as I suggested before.

Never imagined that a thread posting a tracking image and a satellite image of a hurricane would become a matter of controversy.

I had no idea that there was a monopoly of information about weather here.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Dominicaus, be a sport and ask a mod to close this thread. Most of us follow the thread Stormy Season 2012 anyway, so two threads about the same thing is confusing.
Since when do the all mighties follow their humble subjects?

I have had several threads closed.

I did NOT ask any of them to be closed, in case you are wondering. On the contrary I strongly disagreed and still do, and let them know.

It made NO difference, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Since when do the all mighties follow their humble subjects?

I have had several threads closed.

I did NOT ask any of them to be closed, in case you are wondering. On the contrary I strongly disagreed and still do, and let them know.

It made NO difference, whatsoever.

As the OP of this thread, you can ask the thread to be closed but a merge as BB suggest is still better. Everything about storms and hurricanes in one thread, best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.