Barahona Beach??????????

K

Kevin

are there any nice beaches in Barahona..also what is there to do there

M

mike

In the town there are few. But take half an hour drive to the South West and you will find many nice beaches. San Rafael has a river in the middle and also Los Patos. I like Bahoruco beach because it is great for surfing and has great waves. Barahona is the undiscovered Pearl of the Dominican Republic.

J

John

Matter of taste...

The southwest of the country has its beauties but the beaches are not as nice as the North Coast or the East Coast (Punta Cana Bavaro). Most of the beaches in the Barahona area are pebble beaches and very dangerous because of the high waves. I really liked to take my family out there but I had a real bad accident once because of these waves. The reason for the high waves is that there is no protecting coral reef in front of the beach. On one occasion (about 7 years ago) we found a dying dolphin on the beach because a shark bit of its tail, which is another way to explain how dangerous beaches without a protecting reef can be. By the way, I know these beaches for more than 15 years and still love the beautiful countryside of the area.

JBG

M

Marilyn

Re: Matter of taste...

My family is from Barahona (my mother was born in Bahoruco beach)and I've been visiting there all my life. The waves are certainly dangerous and only expert swimmers should venture in the beach. But if you go 10 minutes west of Barahona you will find the beach of El Quemaito, instead of sand or big rocks it has small, colorful pebbles (you might even find Larimar) and no waves at all, it also has an underground cold water stream which flows into the sea, but to find it you have to dig a hole and create your own pool of water, the kids love it!!! Bahoruco, San Rafael, Los Patos and Paraiso are great but the beach is treacherous, be very careful. Pedernales also has beautiful beaches.

E

Eddy

Re: Matter of taste...

I've been there and all the above posts are "right on the mark". One thing was omitted: The local people are super friendly. Like the good old days in the north.

H

Henry

Best beach in the south west:

Cabo rojo, just like Boca Chica, but a looong way to drive! But very virgin, no turists at all! And a lot of very interesting cactus arround!

Enjoy you stay!

Henry

M

Mr Oldman

Mike,

You are the daddy !!! I've posted alot of stuff on the DR board in hopes of findin' surf.

Thanks, oldman

S

Sarah

Kevin,

Please take a look at the shots of Barahona in my Photo Album. Email me with questions. I own land near Barahona, am building a house, lived there for a year several years ago, and have made two trips a year there over the past 8 years. It's a beautiful place...will retire there one day!

All of the above comments are correct. The ocean is dangerous. El Quemaito is wonderful. Be sure to bring along your goggles so that you can take a look at the colorful tropical fish swimming around in the reef. Hike up the waterfall at San Raphael. WOW!!

The people...some of the best I've ever known. You're in for a real treat all the way around!!

Sarah

D

Drake

Re: Bahoruco surf??????????

Oldman
Bahoruco beach is located near a new hotel. but I prefer Casa Bonita hotel. what a view.. The river that meets the sea carries Larimar stones that are washed down from the mine upriver. Near this spot is the best place to surf. I went there in 88 and it left a lasting impression.
Barahona has had a hard time recently with the closing of the Riviera hotel in the city. It desperately needs tourists. On the other hand that is part of its charm. It is still largely untouched and not overrun like other tourist poles on the island.

S

Sarah

Riviera Hotel

I hear Riviera Hotel should be opening back up soon under new mgt/ownership. Anyone can confirm this?

And you are right...the sight at Casa Bonita is breathtaking!! There are a few shots from there on my Homepage link referenced in this message: http://dr1.com/board/index.cgi?read=61386.

Sarah

E

Eddy

Re: Riviera Hotel

I was in the area a week ago and they was no mention of reopening the "Rivera" hotel (But who knows). I have a friend in nearby Paraiso who own a couple of small houses on the water front. Reasonable prices. Anyone seriously interested e-mail me for details.