Dominican residency new procedure?

A

azb

I have just done my residencia definitiva in santo domingo immigration's new facility. I was a cake walk and i got everything done in the same morning.
My question is directed towards the provisional process as a good friend of mine is willing to get it done as soon as possible. 2 years ago I had mine done through a lawyer and paid 1000 US dollars. I had it all straightened out in about 3 months but now I hear that some people have been requiered to deposit 500,000 pesos in the bank as a financial guarantee. I have spoken to lawyers here and they assure me that there is no 500,000 peso deposit required. However, there are people who swear that their friends had to deposit the money. I just spoke to another lawyer and he assured me that its not a definite requirement.
What is true and what is not... i am not sure anymore.
Now another lawyer friend has just informed me that the provisional process has been made much easier because the gov't really want all illegal aliens to become legalized. The whole process should take no more than 6 months and everyone is almost sure to get the residencia if they apply.
Please inform me on the latest on whats going on in the immigration policy.
Please do not post info which canot be confirmed; only what is concretely true and from first hand experience. I do not want to start a string of messages which can take twist and turns and often becomes a silly argument. Just pure factual info please.
Thankyou in advance

B

bubba

Would you recommend your lawyer?

Would you recommend the lawyer you used? Does he speak english and do you know the cost for permanent residency?? Please post.

A

azb

Re: Would you recommend your lawyer?

The lawyer that I had used is a very well respected woman from puerto plata. she goes to santo domingo about 3 times a week. She is very dependable and gets the job done on time. very punctual and persistance. Thats one of the reasons she is so popular among the foreigners. You pay her the fees (i think, its still 1000 US dollars, but can be paid in pesos as well) and then you worry about nothing at all, no hidden fees and no surprises. Her name is Dra. Graciela Fermin. Office #: 586-9534.
I had tried a local ordinary lawyer and after giving him 2000 pesos as a down payment, i never saw his face again. He moved and changed his phone number.
This woman is serious and knows how to do it(legally) without having to deposit 500,000 pesos in a bank.
Call her and let us all know how it went.
Thanks

B

bubba

Would you have an email Address???

Would you happen to know the email address for the lawyer that helped you??? Thanks