new x-ray machine at POP

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Flew back in yesterday from NY with my bag full of the usual comestible contraband....all nicely hidden as usual :)

But was momentarily thrown off course when, on passing through customs at the airport, was directed to put my bags through a new x-ray machine.
Oh sh@t i thought, they are going to find all my parmegiano and other goodies!
But there was no need to fear as i was just waved through.

So, what exactly are they now x-raying for on the way in? do people really smuggle large quantities of drugs IN from the US?? I think not. Guns maybe?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While I am sure they would be happy to spot a gun, what they normally care about is electronics so they can tax you.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am always nervous also. My Dom wife returns to the US with suitcases full of salami, alcohol, avocados, and other Dominican foods I do no even know the name of. She never declares anything. This time in Miami the steely eyed customs cop looked me straight in the eye and asked "anything to declare- foods or alcohol?" took me by surpriese but I automatically answered "no" as I had nothing, she had it all. Luckily we went through ok. I asked her why she does not just declare it? In typical Dominican fashion she replies "I always do this". Wonder if we or she can be arrested for lying and smuggling salami. Especially bad since there was just a big scandal about the salami being contaminated in the DR with fecal material. When I told her about the contamination the response was " I dont care, its good and I cannot get it in the US". How do you argue with that? Of course the whole family (not me) eats the salami, loves it and no one gets sick.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Speaking of guns. Anyone know if it is legal to bring a small pistol form the DR to the US on the plane?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
X-Ray Machine

At el Catey, as you leave the hall after collecting your luggage and handing over the customs form, they put you through the x-ray machine.... everything goes through.

So, any JetBlue passengers from the 14th on should be aware of this.......... Canadians who arrive there already know

May 5, 2007
Flew back in yesterday from NY with my bag full of the usual comestible contraband....all nicely hidden as usual :)

But was momentarily thrown off course when, on passing through customs at the airport, was directed to put my bags through a new x-ray machine.
Oh sh@t i thought, they are going to find all my parmegiano and other goodies!
But there was no need to fear as i was just waved through.

So, what exactly are they now x-raying for on the way in? do people really smuggle large quantities of drugs IN from the US?? I think not. Guns maybe?

You sure it was plugged in?

a friend of mine told me of driving to Pedernales (sp?) back in early 90's, he was doing about 160kph and suddenly noticed a green and white Police VW under a bridge. apparently the cop was standing outside the drivers door with a handheld RADAR unit and my friend thought he was screwed, until he got closer and noticed the power cord was hanging from the RADAR unit as opposed to being plugged into the dash

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the new x-ray machine just picks up anything the thieves that took your baggage off the plane missed. :ermm:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking of guns. Anyone know if it is legal to bring a small pistol form the DR to the US on the plane?

No it not legal to bring any guns into the DR. And don't even think about doing it from the US.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I am always nervous also. My Dom wife returns to the US with suitcases full of salami, alcohol, avocados, and other Dominican foods I do no even know the name of. She never declares anything. This time in Miami the steely eyed customs cop looked me straight in the eye and asked "anything to declare- foods or alcohol?" took me by surpriese but I automatically answered "no" as I had nothing, she had it all. Luckily we went through ok. I asked her why she does not just declare it? In typical Dominican fashion she replies "I always do this". Wonder if we or she can be arrested for lying and smuggling salami. Especially bad since there was just a big scandal about the salami being contaminated in the DR with fecal material. When I told her about the contamination the response was " I dont care, its good and I cannot get it in the US". How do you argue with that? Of course the whole family (not me) eats the salami, loves it and no one gets sick.

Your wife will likely not be arrested for hiding the salami, especially if it is yours. If the salami she is hiding isn't yours, well, customs could ask her whose salami she has been hiding. I don't know if U.S. customs is aware of the fecal material on hidden salami, but you and your wife definitely know, don't you?

Hiding salami can be a good thing, but please hope that if your wife is hiding one that it belongs to you.

I'm not sure we want to hear about your wife hiding the salami. That might be too much information.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We once arrived in STI, and had to put all the luggage through an x-ray machine. Not worried, as for once, we were not smuggling anything. Then I noticed that the belt was working, but the monitor was not... lol.

When I went back to Belgium 2 years ago, I was wondering what to take for my parents. As they are in their eighties, they do not drink alcohol anymore (aside from a glass of wine), do not smoke, and do not like trinkets. So I decided to take them some of the wonderful fruit we have here. You could smell my suitcase a mile away... delicious pineapple, mango, avocado, etc...

I will not do it again... Not because I was stopped by customs, but apparently the mangos contained a number of ants... lol

BelgianK

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

If a person does not declare anything and is checked thru customs and is found with items,the person
can be fined up to $300.00,plus they confiscate everything.But no,the person will not get arrested.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If a person does not declare anything and is checked thru customs and is found with items,the person
can be fined up to $300.00,plus they confiscate everything.But no,the person will not get arrested.

$300.00 for a mango. (ex)

NOT WORTH IT!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
On my trips to DR, I would buy 10 or more bottles of liquor knowing that you could only bring up to 3.

The people at the duty free would tell me that they would sell me as much as I wanted but at my risk.

One day, in FL, I was stopped. All I had to do was pay the tax for any bottle over the 3 that was 80 proof or over.

I think I had like 13 bottles. All I had to pay was $15.00.

Cant do that anymore since now all duty free purchases are held by the store until you board.

You can put them in your checked baggage (what you buy in DR, not duty free) but you run the risk of getting stopped and having to pay the tax.

May 20, 2012
Guess I don't even know what is allowed or not INTO the DR!! Maybe I have been smuggling!!??

X-Ray Machine

At el Catey, as you leave the hall after collecting your luggage and handing over the customs form, they put you through the x-ray machine.... everything goes through.

So, any JetBlue passengers from the 14th on should be aware of this.......... Canadians who arrive there already know

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been smuggling all the time. my suitcases are always full of food.
of, well. i think there would be no fine in DR. you just need to wink and offer some propina and you come in. i will carry 20 or 30 bucks in my pockets then...