Tourist Card Vs. Travel Visa? Help!

PuraVidaM

Nov 11, 2012
In various ways, I have seen parts of my question asked, but I also see there are new rules regarding the tourist card? Please read on ...

My boyfriend is currently working in the DR and I have been planning on taking some time away from the States to relocate for a 6 month period of time to his town in the Dominican. I'm curious if any of you have any advice on how I might go about this. Tourist cards expire after three months and I may be denied a travel visa. Any advice? Should I just let the tourist card expire and pay the fee on the way out of the country?

If I did let the card expire, would I run into any problems when I re-entered the US? Additionally, I plan on returning to visit him again a couple of months after that. Will I run into any problems while trying to enter and exit the country in the future?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
just pay the overstay fee

Unless something drastic changes in the future I'd just pay the overstay fee and be done with it. I know of absolutely no one who has been denied a re-entry after an overstay, myself included. In the past I've stay 6-10 months and just payed up at the airport - the fee's are posted and no problems ensued. When I reentered there was no issue what so ever.

In various ways, I have seen parts of my question asked, but I also see there are new rules regarding the tourist card? Please read on ...

My boyfriend is currently working in the DR and I have been planning on taking some time away from the States to relocate for a 6 month period of time to his town in the Dominican. I'm curious if any of you have any advice on how I might go about this. Tourist cards expire after three months and I may be denied a travel visa. Any advice? Should I just let the tourist card expire and pay the fee on the way out of the country?

If I did let the card expire, would I run into any problems when I re-entered the US? Additionally, I plan on returning to visit him again a couple of months after that. Will I run into any problems while trying to enter and exit the country in the future?

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
Tourist card from Canada 1 month. We stayed for June & July & each paid 1 month overstay when we left.

PuraVidaM

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks to all who have replied - I greatly appreciate the advice. I've heard you can get the tourist card extended? Is this true?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks to all who have replied - I greatly appreciate the advice. I've heard you can get the tourist card extended? Is this true?

By going to Migracion in Santo Domingo it should be possible to renew your tourist card one time.