Path To Citizenship Established For Undocumented

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From yesterday's DR1 News:
DGM foreigner regularization plan ready
The Immigration Department (Direccion General de Migracion, or DGM) has prepared its plan for registering and legalizing most of the illegal foreigners in the Dominican Republic. According to Hoy newspaper reporter Loyda Pena, the agency plans to legalize foreigners who have been in the country since 1984 by using a points system. Anyone who does not fulfill the requisites will be repatriated.
In order to ensure fair and equal treatment, the points system will look at length of stay, socio-economic conditions and other factors. Documentation is a prerequisite for participation in the plan. Passports must have at least 18 months validity, birth certificates must be legalized and in Spanish and less than six months old. Other documents such as marriage certificates are also accepted. According to the plan, foreigners who entered the country illegally between 14 August 1984 and 14 August 1989 can opt for temporary residence that can become permanent after four renewals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quite comical when you think about it. All this is aimed a group of illegals who have no birth certificates, no passports, no proof of how long they have been in the DR. Then they get to apply for residency for which they cannot afford.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I think I may have looked at the wrong post, but I will ask my question any way. The new immigration policies are for illegal aliens and there are not any reforms for residents wanting to become citizens? What I mean is, I think citizens who are naturalized cannot vote? is that right? So any chances affecting these groups or those who can't document their Dominican heritage i e no lost contact with parents, grandparents, etc . . . okay I hope some one can help me here, thanks for the thread and God bless, Biggs

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think I may have looked at the wrong post, but I will ask my question any way. The new immigration policies are for illegal aliens and there are not any reforms for residents wanting to become citizens? What I mean is, I think citizens who are naturalized cannot vote? is that right? So any chances affecting these groups or those who can't document their Dominican heritage i e no lost contact with parents, grandparents, etc . . . okay I hope some one can help me here, thanks for the thread and God bless, Biggs

Naturalized citizens CAN vote.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hi, Sky, and Thanks, I guess I may be one of the few in this very unique situation. It is one of the biggest reasons that I first came to the site. You see, I knew my father, his family and our home country, only as a child. My father being Dominicano and from Puerta Plata and I were separated when he and my mother split. Anyway, through moving a lot and not keeping track of all of the changes in all our lives I have nothing but names to try to authenticate my heritage and I guess dna test too. I had been to the government web site and talked to counsels at the embassy and thought that I would just go through the naturalization process to establish a residency and so my kids could also at least be linked back to their homeland too. Well, I am glad to know that once we finally do move back, we can take part in government processes and another question that I have is can we hold elected offices in DR? Thanks again and God bless you for your help, take care
Biggs

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can hold any elective office except the Presidency. I am not sure of VP. But I know any other position you can run for.

I have dual citizenship and it has come in very handy for me here.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is totally against the nature of Dominians to have a simple and open and written system for almost anything ...and so for the residence card and for citizenship , how could anyone expect that the government would publish a booklet setting out step by step , the measure that need to be completed ..You only have to go into the office of immigration to realise what a shamble the entire place is and what a lack of system ther is.. Also just talking to various people while aiting and reading various accounts here , it is easy to see that only a few have a simple run through into residency or citizenship.
The entire idea of wanting every non Dominican to have a residency card . is so the government could see how many foreigners are here, living more than 6 months...and yet they make the process so difficult and at time so open to corruption , that one could be forgiven to thinking if the exercise is no more than a collection of taxes and bribes

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I would hazard to guess, they set these rules as they know that probably 1 out of every 1000 have the required documentation or the means to obtain them without going home. Why don't they just say..."ok, everyone out...we don't want you here!"?.....oh yeah...the extra income from bribes and extortion.....nail on head Kilpling333....