Power companies? blackouts aim to hush lush contracts

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- Power companies are taking some of their plants out of service to pressure the government not to review the highly questioned lucrative contracts.
A source close to the electricity sector quoted by elnacional.com.do revealed that the latest spate of rolling blackouts nationwide stem from power companies shutting down their plants as leverage against the government?s intention to change contracts underwritten during the privatization process during Hipolito Mejia?s term (2000-2004), and include benefits such as indexing.

The companies oppose revising the energy contracts because they prefer getting paid for their installed capacity instead of the energy served, as the agreements stipulated.
Holidays
At the onset of the holiday season the Itabo 2 plant was taken out of service without apparent justification, and would remain off line until January.
Yesterday the distribution Edesur had 60 circuits out of service with 426,276 customers affected. In addition to Itabo the plants San Felipe, Barahona Coal, Los Mina 6, Monte Rio and Haina Gas were also off line.
?Those plants are off as a pressure mechanism for the Government to desist from continuing the process of reviewing the contracts,? the source said, adding that the power companies would even leave the country without power, to try to reach its goals: ?crush the authorities.?
Source: Dominican Today

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
On DR1 news today.

Power outages to get worse
The State Electricity Companies (CDEEE) has announced via Twitter that the national electricity system is faced with a difficult situation at the moment as several generators are out of service.

Customers on B circuits will be off for five hours a day and those on C and D will be off twice a day for six hours each time, and even consumers on 24-hour circuits will have their power cut off for four hours daily.

CDEEE: servicio el?ctrico nacional presenta dif?cil situaci?n por salida de plantas generadoras - Hoy Digital

Use to be that you could go to the Edenorte web site and get all the blackout schedules. 3 or 4 PAGES of them for the week. Now you have to enter your own info to see what planned (LOL) blackouts are for your area.

(I put this on dv8's tread but now she is to busy talking about her "loo".)

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I don't know enough about the politics involved, but no wonder they are not generating enough money. I have been in my house for three months, in this time I have been to the electric company several times to ask them to connect me, and as of the first day I moved in I was told to ask the maintenance man to connect me to the streets supply. I still have not been connected legally, and every time I go to the company to ask them what is going on I am told to wait, just leave it as it is. Since moving in I have found that not only does no one on my street pay electric bills, no one is properly connected, not only the street, but the entire neighbourhood which is hundreds of properties. Speaking to my neighbours who have been there years, they have never had a bill as they are not connected properly.
It is very difficult to do the right thing when the right thing is to pay your bills, but the company will not connect me so I can generate a bill. I don't mind free electricity, but lack of money is no shock when this is how they run things.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I took this from another thread...

Posted by Windeguy.

"Yes it is getting worse. I don't see how it can get better since the government does not have the balls to make people pay for the power they use and they just keep digging a deeper hole. Now it is a pi$$ing contest between CDEEE and the generators and we are the ones that end up getting wet."

I like the way he explained this. LOL. And I agree.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know enough about the politics involved, but no wonder they are not generating enough money. I have been in my house for three months, in this time I have been to the electric company several times to ask them to connect me, and as of the first day I moved in I was told to ask the maintenance man to connect me to the streets supply. I still have not been connected legally, and every time I go to the company to ask them what is going on I am told to wait, just leave it as it is. Since moving in I have found that not only does no one on my street pay electric bills, no one is properly connected, not only the street, but the entire neighbourhood which is hundreds of properties. Speaking to my neighbours who have been there years, they have never had a bill as they are not connected properly.
It is very difficult to do the right thing when the right thing is to pay your bills, but the company will not connect me so I can generate a bill. I don't mind free electricity, but lack of money is no shock when this is how they run things.

All that is true and so is this. If I were to miss the payment date to Edenorte by a week, they would send a crew out to disconnect my service while thousands in Cabarete are on the same "plan" as you are. Silly? No, it is just plain stupid.

The politics are that the government in power does not dare force the poor people to pay for the amount of power they use because they would lose their votes. They also do not dare force the huge businesses to pay for the true amount of power they use because they would lose their financial support during elections (and probably at other times as well). That is the real hole dug by the current system of essentially free electricity for those two groups.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course we are the idiots who pay for the lousy bastards who receive government treats and pay fixed price that in no way does refer to the actual consumption...
but guess what, we do not vote. in DR poor may be poor and dumb courtesy of government policies, but they have votes. they may not have rights or a voice, but damn, they will have that chicken in return for their cedula on election day.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We are legal here. We have followed all the laws required of us. We are ex-pats but we are guests in the Dominican Republic. We can not vote. We are NOT to get involved in the politics or most Dominican Goverorning (sp) areas.

How about we ALL turn off our elec. for two days. No shopping. No buying fuel for cars or home. We turn off everything and don't do ANYTHING. Stay home. Don't open your business or go to work. Just a dream but I wonder what .... IF everyone turned everything off and did nothing for two days.

What would be... would anyone notice? You bet your a$$ they would. But we ex-pats are a strange lot and we... most our here are in our own little private world.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
We are legal here. We have followed all the laws required of us. We are ex-pats but we are guests in the Dominican Republic. We can not vote. We are NOT to get involved in the politics or most Dominican Goverorning (sp) areas.

How about we ALL turn off our elec. for two days. No shopping. No buying fuel for cars or home. We turn off everything and don't do ANYTHING. Stay home. Don't open your business or go to work. Just a dream but I wonder what .... IF everyone turned everything off and did nothing for two days.

What would be... would anyone notice? You bet your a$$ they would. But we ex-pats are a strange lot and we... most our here are in our own little private world.

This is presents a very intertesting question that I have wondered about for a while. I don't want to divert the focus of the discussion, but, how much influence can the ex-pat community have on issues like this, if the community engaged?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ringo, dream on. i do not mean to be brutal but i remember what miesposo was told in migracion office: all recent policies towards foreigners were introduced because they are a "problem".
:(

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
ringo, dream on. i do not mean to be brutal but i remember what miesposo was told in migracion office: all recent policies towards foreigners were introduced because they are a "problem".
:(

But that's my point dear. We follow the rules and they don't but expect us to follow like sheep to the slaugher. WHERE have I heard this before?

Sooo. Reverse it for a couple of days. Everyone turn off the power. Like we ain't use to being without power? Don't shop. Don't do anything. Stay home watch the pre-paid cable and internet. NO Cell phones. No car. Nothing but relaxing at home via candle light.

How many cutting off their home/business power would it take to scramble the electric generators? (I was part of this in the 1960's with thousands of kids turning off home breakers at the same time protesting nuclear plants in the Chicago area.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Electric Utility?s debt jumps to US$522.9M in just 30 days

[h=2]Electric Utility?s debt jumps to US$522.9M in just 30 days[/h]

Santo Domingo.- The debt owned by Dominican Republic?s State-owned Electric Utility (CDEEE) and distributors (EDES) to the power companies is relentless, jumping RD$13.7 million, from US$508.9 million to US$ 522.9 million just in the last 30 days

The figures augur a precarious December, a month when the Government authorizes the supply of more energy to users, regardless of whether they pay or not. EDES? losses are estimated at 38%. From an average monthly billing exceeding US$185 million, they collect only US$110 million, a loss of more than US$70 million.

The Dominican Electricity Industry Association?s (ADIE) report reveals an increase of the unexpired bill, and signals what?s to come regarding the debt in the coming weeks.

The outstanding debt from October 22 to 26 was US$92.8 million, but it?s now US$173.9 million.
Among the CDEEE?s leading creditors figure Ege-Haina, with US$225.6 million; AES, US$194.9 million and San Felipe, Puerto Plata, US$129.6 million. CDEEE CEO Ruben Jimenez Bichara said the Government works to definitively resolve the electricity problem, but noted that all sectors must participate.

Source: Dominican Today

This is a hole that is being dug deeper and deeper every day. The concept of a government run power distribution business is a dismal failure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
December light bill won?t rise as blackouts sour holidays

[h=2]December light bill won?t rise as blackouts sour holidays[/h]

Santo Domingo.- The light bill will not increase in December, while the government subsidy will be RD$1.9 billion for that sector, the Electricity Superintendence announced Thursday.
The announcement comes while blackouts as long as 12 hours sour the start of the yearend holiday season in Dominican Republic.

?The cumulative subsidy on this area for the January- December 2012 period will be RD$21.0 billion,? the regulatory agency said in a press release.
It said the behavior of the variables that determine the indexed cost of electricity, Fuel Oil No. 6 declined from US$100.9 to $96.1 per barrel, a 4.7 percent decrease, while natural gas climbed from US$2.84 MMBTU to US$2.86 MMBTU.
The resolution adds that coal stood at US$ 88.65 the ton, while the monthly average exchange rate rose from RD$39.47 to RD$39.93 per dollar.
Source: DT

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
One of my favorites re power.

Posted by Windeguy.

"Yes it is getting worse. I don't see how it can get better since the government does not have the balls to make people pay for the power they use and they just keep digging a deeper hole. Now it is a pi$$ing contest between CDEEE and the generators and we are the ones that end up getting wet."

I like the way he explained this. LOL. And I agree.

Worth posting again. LOL.

May 12, 2005
The biggest problem the country faces. Fixing it would cure many ills. How is the pre-pago meter thing working out in the barrios so far?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Follow The "Rules" Ringo?????????????
What "RULES"????
"When In Rome............"!!!!!
I act like a true Dominicano!
I stole my electricity for over 10 years.
After the Hurracane "David?" I moved into my house because it had a generator.
I "Tried" to get them to "Hook Me Up Legally" for years, then I just quit
I was already "Hooked Up" just not with their meter.
After 10 years, the "Got" me!
I paid a 20,ooo peso fine!
THEN my neighbor, a guy who ownes a business here, he installs Silent alarms at banks and high cash business, made a connection to "La Corporacion", had his worker bury the connection, and all wires, and "Hooked up" most of his neighbors .
I too, live by the "RULES" here!
"SCREW Them, Because they are "Sure-As-Hell" screwing you!
I kinda like it that way!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS, I now am paying up to 20'000 pesos a month!
I pay for those who don't/wont pay.
I guess it's their turn to "Screw Me" for a while!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
"Follow The "Rules" Ringo?????????????
What "RULES"????
"When In Rome............"!!!!!
I act like a true Dominicano!
I stole my electricity for over 10 years.
After the Hurracane "David?" I moved into my house because it had a generator.
I "Tried" to get them to "Hook Me Up Legally" for years, then I just quit
I was already "Hooked Up" just not with their meter.
After 10 years, the "Got" me!
I paid a 20,ooo peso fine!
THEN my neighbor, a guy who ownes a business here, he installs Silent alarms at banks and high cash business, made a connection to "La Corporacion", had his worker bury the connection, and all wires, and "Hooked up" most of his neighbors .
I too, live by the "RULES" here!
"SCREW Them, Because they are "Sure-As-Hell" screwing you!
I kinda like it that way!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS, I now am paying up to 20'000 pesos a month!
I pay for those who don't/wont pay.
I guess it's their turn to "Screw Me" for a while!

Funny CC. Welcome back home. The land of.... oh never mind.

Dec 26, 2011

These short-term symbolic boycotts, though providing instant gratification for the "protester", are ineffective. Curbing consumption in a significant way over an extended period is required to make an impact.