Haitian soldiers in the DR?

J

Judi Bluse

I'm sorry to say that, for some time now, I've been relying on DR1 for my information on the DR. This second news brief about Haitians seeking asylum in the DR has shaken that faith.

First of all, Haiti has not had a military since 1994 when it was disbanded by the previous Aristide government, so there are no "four haitian soldiers". Second, if they want to call their own armed attacks on police stations "confrontations", they are welcome to, but DR1 should know better.

As for persecution, tell me what would happen in former Dominican soldiers attacked a police station and the police academy in Santo Domingo. Would you call what happened next "persecution"?

While not a big fan of the current government in Haiti, I find the Dominican government behavior reprehensible for summarily deporting Haitians - including many with valid residency and work papers - and for harboring such people as these and former coup leaders like Michel Francois.

Four Haitian soldiers request asylum
Four Haitian soldiers have requested political asylum in the DR after confrontations among police troops in that country, according to a report by the Ministry of Armed Forces. The Haitian military say they are being persecuted as enemies of the Jean Bertrand Aristide government. The soldiers came to Santo Domingo from the border, where they had sought asylum. News reports say that two military men died in recent confrontations in Haiti.